Daydreamin520

Countdown to arrival of 2013 NV 2500 SV V6

After researching, searching, waiting, debating, etc... since June 2014, I ordered an NV from CarMax on Saturday.  It is on its way from Fort Worth TX to Tucson! 

First time buying a car this way.  You have to pay a nonrefundable transfer fee to get it to your location... and there's no haggling in CarMaxLand... but they gave me a good trade-in offer for my 2008 Honda Element.  I haven't signed any papers yet but I am 100% sure this will be the perfect next vehicle for me and my bank has already approved the loan.  If Elements had not been discontinued in 2011, I would have just got another one of them.  I had a 2004 and then the 2008 and   those things have NOTHING wrong with them except the window regulators... and the airbags recall recently.

I plan to convert rear of van to allow for travel but still be able to remove camp gear out if I need to haul things.  I am an eco-artist/treasure finder/furniture re-purpose-er, who also happens to have "gypsy feet",  that is looking forward to all that space and standing room!

Also, if any members use their NV for camping or vandwelling (part time?  full time?), I will be looking forward to reading your posts, suggestions, advice, recommendations in the near future.

Attaching pic to show my "Upgrade" on space from Element to NV!

Daydreamin520, from Tucson AZ 

post-901-0-38105600-1419819684_thumb.jpg

remember, if your claiming this as a business vehicle and you own a business (sounds like you do?!?!?) be sure to sign before midnight on 12/31 to quality for section 179 extension the president just signed on the 19th.

Good advice Chris. I know there were a lot of farmers around my area who received the biggest Christmas present ever from the govt. when he signed that extension!

And welcome, Daydreamin! It's hard to top the dependably of cars like the Element, but I doubt you'll be disappointed in your NV at all! Congrats!

You will like your NV.

The best way to get the information you want is to scroll down all the topics on the introduction thread. You will see that most recent ones are for passenger vans. There are a few camper conversions and ongoing projects, some for both work and recreation.

I don't know what service Camax provides, but you will find that service options are few in Tucson. Jim Click is it. If you used an independent shop for your Element, see if they will do basic service. Stuttgart Autohaus will work on it, but check with Gary. When you travel, you will have to look for an NV dealer. They are far and few between unless you are in a major city.

Also, get your smile ready to answer questions about your NV. As far as I can tell, owners are the only ones doing promotion. Although I did see a dealer billboard in TX or LA claiming they were the largest NV dealer or something like that.

As far as I can tell, owners are the only ones doing promotion. Although I did see a dealer billboard in TX or LA claiming they were the largest NV dealer or something like that.

umm....and Brett Michaels :)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXcrOjO8tn8

Chris - Unfortunately, no legal business... lol.  I sell to friends and others sporadically.  Plus, NV is still in TX, not AZ, so not about to sign any paperwork before year end, I am guessing.

Andy - I am sure I am going to love it.  After having my heater in my house die on Xmas morning, no parts to fix it 'til Wednesday, and a big repair bill pending... van dwelling is lookin' more and more appealing to me about now!  lol.

rad' - I kinda figured service will be a challenge  here in Tucson.  Have not gotten any warm fuzzies from my dealings with Jim Click just in the time I have been looking for the NV.   Thanks for the heads up, tho'.  We should talk, after I get my vehicle... would like to see how yours is set up, with the pop-up.

Chris, there is a certain age, I guess where I'm at, that forced the question: Who is Brett Michaels? I did see the "tough love" video when it came out, but learned about it on Truck Trend. Same for the Leaf pickup. Do you do any type is promotion? I ask, because when we were in the Tetons in June, there were convoys of rental Suburbans, registered in Utah. Most were filled with Asian tourists. Instead of looking at the sights, many were more interested in our NV. Same for bus tours. A little too far for you to run the NVP rental business. But what potential!

Daydreamin, any reason you didn't opt for the V8?

You will just have to try JimClick's service department, particularly if you find any warranty items after a thorough walk through of your van. Jeff is the NV service writer, so ask for him. More than likely you will get his voice mail. Just make sure you deal with him or whoever is their designated NV person.

I think the best sleeping option is a platform bed that is high enough to store big things under it. Even better if it would fold to each side to let you have walk through access to the back door. Not sure how you would work in a rear seat if you have more than one passenger. Outside Van has some good examples but they are fixed. In our SMB, the platform is too low, as it forms part of the couch bed. Think VW camper but with storage, not an engine.

After researching, searching, waiting, debating, etc... since June 2014, I ordered an NV from CarMax on Saturday.  It is on its way from Fort Worth TX to Tucson! 

First time buying a car this way.  You have to pay a nonrefundable transfer fee to get it to your location... and there's no haggling in CarMaxLand... but they gave me a good trade-in offer for my 2008 Honda Element.  I haven't signed any papers yet but I am 100% sure this will be the perfect next vehicle for me and my bank has already approved the loan.  If Elements had not been discontinued in 2011, I would have just got another one of them.  I had a 2004 and then the 2008 and   those things have NOTHING wrong with them except the window regulators... and the airbags recall recently.

I plan to convert rear of van to allow for travel but still be able to remove camp gear out if I need to haul things.  I am an eco-artist/treasure finder/furniture re-purpose-er, who also happens to have "gypsy feet",  that is looking forward to all that space and standing room!

Also, if any members use their NV for camping or vandwelling (part time?  full time?), I will be looking forward to reading your posts, suggestions, advice, recommendations in the near future.

Attaching pic to show my "Upgrade" on space from Element to NV!

Daydreamin520, from Tucson AZ 

Here's to you getting a Nissan NV - and welcome to the community :)

Chris, there is a certain age, I guess where I'm at, that forced the question: Who is Brett Michaels? I did see the "tough love" video when it came out, but learned about it on Truck Trend. Same for the Leaf pickup. Do you do any type is promotion? I ask, because when we were in the Tetons in June, there were convoys of rental Suburbans, registered in Utah. Most were filled with Asian tourists. Instead of looking at the sights, many were more interested in our NV. Same for bus tours. A little too far for you to run the NVP rental business. But what potential!

Daydreamin, any reason you didn't opt for the V8?

You will just have to try JimClick's service department, particularly if you find any warranty items after a thorough walk through of your van. Jeff is the NV service writer, so ask for him. More than likely you will get his voice mail. Just make sure you deal with him or whoever is their designated NV person.

I think the best sleeping option is a platform bed that is high enough to store big things under it. Even better if it would fold to each side to let you have walk through access to the back door. Not sure how you would work in a rear seat if you have more than one passenger. Outside Van has some good examples but they are fixed. In our SMB, the platform is too low, as it forms part of the couch bed. Think VW camper but with storage, not an engine.

He was the lead singer to a HUGE HUGE rocker band in the 80's and 90's called Poison.  He has actually stayed relevant and most people would probably know who he is.  I'm sure Nissan payed him a small fortune for that commercial.

As for advertising, I do, but not in a conventional tv radio sense.  I do direct marketing to small business owners in the area.  I'm in the midst of finding business like ace hardware to cross promote with (set up in front with coffee doughnuts and trucks, and in return hand out gift cards from the store to buyers).  I will also be partaking in industrial trade shows, attending industry events, so on and so fourth.  My dealership group happens to be very very large and have very well known name and I have been pushing for air time mentions of the NV line but have had no success yet.  It all basically revolves around the commercial side and not the passenger van.  Those sell well and honestly seem to be marketing themselves acceptably at the moment.

But honestly, more than anything I get ALOT of......."I've been seeing a ton of these on the road and I just wanted to check them out"

rad' - I THINK I have always had a 4 cyl my whole life... car history:  77 corolla, 83 accord, 91 mazda 626, 97 Saturn station wagon (first time I knew I would never buy a sedan again!  lol), 2001 rav4 (loved, but... after divorce...), 04 Element, 08 Element.  So, aren't all those 4cyl??  I am used to great/good mpg and that is what made me think long and hard on this decision for the NV.  I will NEVER tow anything and, even if it's only 1-2 miles difference, I just could not LEAP to a V8. I am the person you want to buy a used car from, 'cos I use them well but never abuse them.  Every one of my cars was mechanically great when I sold it; I have been lucky... or smart... lol... in my choices.  Let's hope that continues by choosing V6.

van - thanks.  I found the group while searching for pix of interiors and noticed one linked to this page.

I am SO ready to get my van and just sit in it and smile like a fool!  Pic to follow!  lol.

Chris, My radio must not have been tuned to that station. I vaguely remember the group. After I sent the ?, I realized we mainly/only see full size pickups and minivans advertised. Actually, I'm not surprised by your commercial promotion. Still, it is the owners that are spreading the word or visual image of "a ton" being on the road. One thing I have noticed is that Nissan NV parts trucks identify the dealer, while the Sprinter parts truck says "Sprinter Store." Grabbed my attention when I first looked at vans.

Daydreamin, we met a couple with a V6 SMB and they had no issues at all. The conversion was the same, so they were carrying a 1/2 ton not counting gear inside. They did get better mpg but I don't remember the figure.

Edited by radin2son

Vehicle popularity also can vary wildly place to place.  In chicago there were a ton of sprinters, literally a ton.  Not so much here in Charlotte.

Do you have alot of NV's on the road by you?  Here in Charlotte we really do have ALOT of them.  I would just guess that in a typical day out and about visiting business's I would see maybe 15-30.  I'm actually going to count next time, lol.

Daydreamin, I'm excited for you!!  They are cool trucks.  I spend alot of time in mine and would love to have a van in my aresenal of vehicles.  I've done probably 8 2000 mile plus road trips in the last 3 years.  I usually camp at koa's but at times it would be nice to pull up and have a van outfitted for gear and overnight capabilities.  I think the NV would be a great a platform for that.  Whatever you do it sounds like you'll be having a good time, so two thumbs up for that!!

Chris, Tucson is a Nissan town, but there are relatively few NVs on the road, mostly hvac businesses. They are still a novelty, if that is a truck term, so we notice them. Jim Click Nissan is in an auto mall, almost right next to Jim Click Ford and Jim Click Dodge. So, take your pick of a van. There are maybe 5 NVs visible on the lot. His shuttle NVs have no markings at all. Missed opportunity.

When we travel in the west, we are lucky to see 1 or 2 NVs a day. Many places, no Nissans at all. When we start to see Altimas and Titans, there must be a dealership nearby. Maybe... There seems to be a direct correlation between no Nissans and no internet service. There is a lot of "No Service" out west and deep South.

Daydreamin, I forgot to mention that Jim Click/Jeff will push what they call the "Jim Click Nissan Service Maintenance Schedule" that will cost $300 for the 15,000 service. This includes an oil (up to 5 qts, short of what your V6 needs) and filter change, oil system flush (sludge at this mileage?), tire pressure inspect/adjust, tire rotation (don't get me started on TPMS),brake service, battery service, fuel injection service. I fell for this after our Alaska trip and paid $328 (must have been the extra oil). My VW mechanic just laughed at me. Between guffaws, he was able to say it couldn't hurt. Easy for him to say: my credit card was traumatized. The 30,000 mile service will set you back $540. This time I was ready with service book in hand and said no. Later told the service manager, after their screw up, to never show me that service brochure again. My cynical self says this must be an offset for free life time service.

Happy New Year!

I know CarMax said it could take up to 21 days to get my van from Forth Worth to Tucson...

all about the scheduling... AND that it was holiday time...

but I am going crazy waiting to see, touch, own this van!

It probably does not help that I have the ad pix up as my screensaver!  LoL.

Got NV today.  CarMax online great... in real life, not so much.  Took 9 days after it got here for them to get title paperwork transferred from TX to AZ.  Then, it had a hairline crack in rear tail light and a punched in cargo panel/ board.  They said they would replace the light but not the panel.  Said it was "cosmetic".  I had to make a stink about it, especially after the sales manager came in with a syrupy expression on his face, trying to tell me how wonderful CarMax standards are but... they wouldn't fix it.  I stopped signing papers and started to walk out the building!    I told him the pix in online ad did not show that damage... that the panels were NOT cosmetic, that they were one of the features I wanted in the van, etc... End of story.... they are ordering it and replacing it at their cost.  Oh... I also have 5 days to drive it around and if decided I did not want, I could take it back and get my trade-in back, no problems.  Made them write that down, too.

I hope it works out in the end......that is one problem with buying vehicles sight unseen.  I've done it a few times off of ebay but I've always been real leery.  Keep us updated with what you think  :)

Thanks Chris.  I am thinking positive.  Having only test driven one, last August, one time, I was a bit overwhelmed, momentarily, with its size.  Silently hummed "I am woman, hear me roar..." as I drove it off the lot.  LoL.  Will definitely try out all the bells and whistles over the next few days.  BTW... as it sits in my driveway, it makes my ranch style house look kinda small.  Just waiting to see which neighbor comes over first to ask me about it.

If you have the time during the 5 days, throw your sleeping bag, stove, food and water into the back and drive the 113 miles to Cochise Stronghold campground. You will get a good mix of interstate, 2 lane paved and a dirt road into the stronghold. If the campground is full, not likely, return to the entrance. Just before you get to the info sign you will see a dirt road on the left (west) for free, dispersed camping. Even if you don't camp it will be a great test...

Sounds like a good idea, radin2son.  When I am a bit more assured of van's mechanical reliability, I would love to take it to Parker Canyon Lake Campground, below Sonoita, off the 83...  but that is a lil' too far to go, first time around.  Last time I went there in my Honda Element, I was thinking... "AAA Auto club will never find me, if something goes wrong with this car." ... lol!  Thanks for the suggestion.

We also have been looking at camping at Parker Canyon Lake while the weather here is so much better than most areas of the country. We were in Sonoita 2 weeks ago; we had never seen so many Border Patrol trucks. Even forest service officers are heavily armed.

Edited by radin2son

Did the drive... as far as Dragoon Road exit 318.  Did not get all the way to the Stronghold, tho', because of time factor grandson getting out of school.  I started late because I picked up a friend and was packin' 3 Boxer dogs in the back!  At first, the dogs were a bit weirded-out by the new vehicle.  A bit more rattle-ly than Element.  Went and picnicked at the Amerind Museum Park... cold up there!  Still managed to hit a dirt road, too, so it was a great trial run, Radin2son.  Thanks again.

Sounds like you had a good test ride. You will have to post progress reports when you start your build.

Maybe your boxers thought they were flying. I had to get something from the back while my wife was driving on I-10. I felt like I was in a passenger plane. The van seemed to float. The pop top, although not that noisy, contributed to the sensation. Without windows, I imagine it might

be like a cargo plane.

No one has mentioned what the sound level is in the passenger NVs. I would think they are quiet.

The absence of back ventilation would bother me when parked.

Edited by radin2son

The youngest dog seemed a lil' restless, either rode in passengers lap or stood on the flippin' console, looking like a mountain goat.  Had to quick put a towel over console to avoid scratches.  Oldest dog said "oh well" and laid down on the air mattress I'd tossed in the back.  Middle age dog mostly stood between the two others, not sure what to do.  The wind, coming from the SE it felt, was pushing us a bit on the way out there.  Helped to know to expect the sound of the wind on the "forehead" of the van.  Eager to start the creative "build" part, but have to do the (yawn) insulation/sound proofing first, I suppose.  Will have to go back and re-read what everyone has found best for that task.  later.

If you haven't see this video, it is worth it...

Magic on Vimeo

Vimeo.com/79569858

You might want to check out Sportsmobile and look at their many floor plans. (Only 2 for Nissan however, but that won't deter you.) You can also print a van interior and everything you might need and play with fitting them in...

Check out David Anderson's other videos. We did and realized he was a teacher here and taught our daughters in k and 1st grade. Back to the videos; worth watching even if they have nothing to do with NVs. Or maybe they do... Too deep.

Edited by radin2son

Thanks.  His is a nice build, but it feels "heavy" to me, just looking at it.  And, from somewhere, I tho't I read "chipboard" (on his floor) was a bad idea.  Great kitchen set up and tons of storage.  I'll probably be somewhere in the middle... better than an air mattress & rug but not as elaborate as David's.  Great video.