Sign in to follow this  
MrOlaf

gas mileage

What is your fuel mileage like? I have a 2013 nvp and it used to say about 366 range upon a full refill. Now it says 300 when I fill it up.

I was driving for pa to fl and I would get almost exactly 300 miles before my ranged dropped below 66 and the low fuel light would come on.

Seems like as of recently I lost some mileage because I drove all highway again and my range was down to 64 (light didn't come on yet). Drove 264 miles refilled 21.805 gallons which equals about 12.10 mpg highway.

I haven't checked in a month or more. Last I checked it hovered around 14-15mpg. It could be a little worse with the cold weather here, but I'd hope it's around the same.

I've found the range info to be completely worthless in my van. It's always been way too optimistic at fill up, drops noticeably faster than the actual number of miles driven, and then it goes blank to the " --" screen once it drops below 60 miles or so. What good is a range estimator if it's in inaccurate, and towards the end of the tank it just throws in the towel and says " good luck buddy..... You're on your own now...!" ??

My 2012 NV2500 High-top that I use for my business gets 12 mpg. I havent towed my 6x6 trailer for over 2 years now, and I have aluminum shelving so I don't think my load is incredibly heavy.

I have the 2012 NV 2500 high roof, 6 cylinder. Don't know how much weight, but wooden shelving and lots of tools. I usually average 12 and a half to 14 mpg around town, lots of stop and go. I've averaged as much as 20mpg on the highway on long trips. This is the SAME mpg I got with the same tools in a Chevy Astro for 8 years. I am NOT complaining!

I'm wondering if something got messed up, When i drove from pa to to fl I literally didn't even shut the van off to fill up, (using the power inverter to power tvs and dvd stuff for the kids)  Anyways, after consistently getting 300 miles until the low fuel light pops on I refilled at a gas station when my tank was only half empty.  Upon topping off the tank my fuel range was into the 400's (higher than it ever was)  After that now I refill and my range is at 300ish  It's like i'm missing 40-60 miles of range.    isn't 12ish mpg bad for pure highway?

The inconsistency of your reading does seem a little wierd, I agree. I stopped to fill up last night, after using 2/3 tank in a mix of 70%highway and 30% rural roads, and I was bummed to calculate my mileage at 12.4mpg. So that part may not be that rare. Thank The Lord for $1.76 fuel right now.

The news stories of low fuel prices being ultimately bad because it slows sales and development of alternate fuel vehicles drives me crazy. I have a hand gesture for those people...;)

The news I heard that made me cringe ...  "investors in american oil production losing money due to lower prices of foreign crude " !!!

Wasn't oil independence what it was all about ???

Glenn

My observations suggest the range is calculated based on the last 50 miles driven or so not the full tank. I have seen my range increase during a tank due to slow easy highway driving.

Additionally, from an engineering perspective, 12-14 mpg is a realistic range for a 7,000 lbs V8 powered van running a non GDI fuel injection system with no cylinder deactivation. Expecting more over the long term is unrealistic and anyone tauting higher figures must drive either at altitude or very conservatively. I posted in another thread on the physics of gas mileage, but needless to say speed and acceleration adversely affect mileage.

And I agree that another 10 gallons in the tank would be nice for range. That said, I have kids so road trips rarely involve uninterrupted stretches of more than three hours without a food or potty break, so this far I haven't had a problem.

Edited by Mc2guy

Another factor is when you figure mpg. When I say there were 20 fill ups on a trip with a high of 18+ and low of 14 mpg per fill up, that's not all that accurate. Based on miles driven and the needle on the gauge, I can sort of guess how many gallons are needed to fill the tank, but I have no idea whether or not the tank is full when the pump cuts off. I don't continue to fill the tank, if the gallons are close to what I expected. I end up with a guestimate mpg per tank full which is less than what the computer reads.

Later, I can add up the gallons pumped and the miles driven, do the division and come up with 15+ mpg.

So altitude is a factor for better mpg. Yet, we are paying $1.99 a gallon not the low lander $1.76. So, who feels the pain?

Well, most of us in the east are still above $2/gal so that's not really a consistent spread. Yes, altitude increases mileage in naturally aspirated cars since the air is thinner and easier to move through as well as effectively decreasing the displacement and HP of the engine.

I should note that I consider 65 on the interstate to be conservative. Most interstates near me the traffic moves at 75-80, which will net 13 or so MPG. I'm planning a cross country trip in June and am expecting to average 13.

I have just broken the 800 km mark on my HighTop SV 3500 HD....boy has it been a thirsty break in period. 1.75 tanks of fuel so about 180 litres in 800 km. Wow! 

I am a conservative driver as well. I feel no need for speed or blowing people off the line. I am happy the break in period is over as I will now be able to use cruise control. 

Time to put up my rates to make up for the massive increase in fuel consumption. :0) 

Mc2guy, No need to go with the flow unless you are near a city. 65 mph is a perfect speed out west. You will slot in nicely with semis and tow vehicles, which often have a much lower posted speed limit. Or you can go the posted 85 mpg in some states. If you have the time in June, get off the interstates and take some of the historic US Highways.

Dustin, think of all the stuff you can carry. You can expand...

I think I actually might have a legitimate issue, I've been noticing recently of a "fuel-like" smell upon starting the vehicle up to warm it up for the kids.  

Have you ever driven on east coast interstates?  They're all near some city and are all crowded with aggressive drivers.  Driving slower than traffic is just as dangerous, if not more so than going with the flow.  At a minimum, keeping up with the Trucks who are mostly doing 70 is a requirement.

As for our trip west. While we do stop and smell the roses when appropriate, I am not a retiree making a rambling journey with my wife where time has no meaning.  I have three kids under 8 and the motto of our 2500 mile journey is "get there".  I make haste, but not in a dangerous manner.  Speed limit plus a couple MPH is good.  If I averaged 65 vs. 80 on the interstates, that adds nearly an entire day to the trip.  Not something I have time for.

Mc2guy, No need to go with the flow unless you are near a city. 65 mph is a perfect speed out west. You will slot in nicely with semis and tow vehicles, which often have a much lower posted speed limit. Or you can go the posted 85 mpg in some states. If you have the time in June, get off the interstates and take some of the historic US Highways.

I think I actually might have a legitimate issue, I've been noticing recently of a "fuel-like" smell upon starting the vehicle up to warm it up for the kids.  

I've noticed the NV dumps a lot of fuel on cold mornings to try and heat up the catalyst.  It is pretty noxious until the cat reaches temps, but no "unburned fuel" smell, just exhaust smell.  If you are smelling raw fuel, I'd have it looked at pronto.  You could have a fuel leak.

Mc2 maybe that is what I'm smelling. Doesn't smell like pure gas but definitely close to it.

Mc2guy,

Lived in Boston as an adult. Grew up in Venezuela, Cuba, NY, Quebec, and NC before moving west.

Driving the San Diego/ LA corridor, even Phoenix, is the same... I am not interested in arguing with you, telling you how drive or comparing retirement with vacation time. In reality, we are saying the same thing. Going with the flow to me is the same as going 70-80 mph if that is the speed other vehicles are traveling. In city interstate travel, I would guess that I rarely look at the speedometer.

We also have done many staton wagon/VW camper cross country trips with our children and knew the need to make haste, only to have them dawdle in the morning, sleep during the driving portion and be ready for action at the end of the day. The good news is that the NV is a great drive.

Since this is a discussion on mpg, going 65 mph would probably increase your 13+ mpg estimate. At 65 mph, rpms are 2200 and at 75 mph, rpms are 2500. Maybe the mpg difference would be marginal? Without real time mpg, it would be difficult to determine, and then it would only be for that NV under those conditions.

Have a great trip. No, that sounds too much like an insincere "Have a great day." Enjoy your trip.

Edited by radin2son

Radin2son,

I wasn't trying to argue, just explain my situation/location.  Dropping to 65 on the interstate would increase the MPG by approximately 1.5-2MPG from 80 according to my calculations/assumptions on the NV's drag coefficient.  I just don't have the time to go that slow!  The extra gas $s are just part of the cost I figure into my travel expenses, thus my 13 MPG estimate.  Could you get more, you bet, but again time = money and I'd rather pay more to have the extra time at the destination...

I do a lot of night driving for the exact reasons you mention.  Let the kids' and wife sleep while killing miles and I can nap during the day at some destination while they enjoy the scenery and get their energy out!

Mc2guy

I'm keeping tabs of my gas mileage to see if you it compares well to others.  It's a 
NV Passenger SL V8
87 fuel type

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11IqPY-gQqjOPFdKY09sYD-xCRP1Nj08i4kgzXIKS2K0/edit?usp=sharing

btw I tried copying and pasting a table from google docs and it pasted well but when you post it the table goes away and it's just text.  Maybe someone can look into that?

Edited by MrOlaf

I tried the link and it works even when I sign out of google. 

her is a gifnv.gif

I'm going to have to check out that website, looks cool.

First semi-long trip in our 3500NV Sl v8 from Decatur Alabama to Birmingham Childrens Hospital,, thingy on the dash says average mpg 24-25,, actual calculated after fill up 15mpg.. all passenger seats removed except one bench where she is seated,this is so her  wheelchair and accesories will fit and loaded with groceries coming back,, 65mph average speed on interstate, very little driving down town.. 194 miles on the odometer thus far... We love our NV.. :shift: