Keathbordeaux@aol.com

NV Audio System Upgrade questions

I am working with a Crutchfield Audio advisor, to upgrade my factory radio and speakers, in my 2012 NissanNV 2500 High Roof cargo van. (I love this vehicle, 2 and a half years, 39,000 miles, driven every day, it's just awesome...).

He suggested a Sony CDX-GT710HD head unit. I don't even want to think about an external amp for now, maybe I'll want one later. Infinity reference 6&3/4" speakers for the front doors, leave the tweeters in the dash for now...

If I understand the Crutchfield advisor correctly, I will get a wiring harness free with the order to connect the new head unit to the factory wiring harness, and an antenna adapter. My questions for this blog community are; 

* Where can I find instructions (Crutchfield doesn't have them) to remove the front speaker grilles and/or door panels, and the dash trim to remove the old equipment, without damaging them?

* Crutchfield doesn't list a steering wheel control adapter for this vehicle, would one for a Titan plug right in and work the same?

* This van is full of tools on a built in shelf unit, so if I opt to hang some surface mounted speakers somewhere, as my 2 rear speakers, how do those get wired? In other words, when I am fiddling with the audio controls on the current factory radio/cd player, I can fade all the sound to the two front speakers, but none to the rear speakers, because NONE came in the vehicle. So, when I pull the old unit and wire the new one in, where and how do I locate what was supposed to be the rear speaker wire leads, so that I can tie into them and run new wires to wherever in the vehicle I'll be mounting the new rear speakers?  Because after all, I am acting under the presumption that;

​* Is it impossible or inadvisable, to somehow during the installation of the new components, wire it up in such a way so that instead of adding a new set of (rear) speakers and running new wires, I can send the signal and power that should go into a rear set of speakers, into the front two?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out here!

Thanks for that, I've decided to bite the bullet and run new wires, and put the Kicker powersports 6x9, 2 ohm speakers, inside enclosures, hanging from the ceiling over the cab area as my rear speakers, but I'm still looking for the rest of the information stated. I want to be as well prepared as possible once I get all the gear so the install will be easy and successful.....

x

Edited by Jerry

There were no rear speaker wires in my nv2500 with tech package.

As for the dashboard you have to take the panel at knee level under the steering wheel off also the bezel over the insturments and then Pop out the ac vent to the right of the radio, then you will have access to remove the radio. Its not has difficult as it sounds and I was impressed at the ease of disassembly and electric disconnects.

I have not gone to this level of disassembly in an auto before. I also took down the overhead console and put in sound deadening material. The task was pretty straight forward excepting the sunvisor hooks which just need a 90 degree turn to release. The console will not come down until remove the hooks, there is also square hook and bar type attachment at the lower front for support and alignment.

Similar to Glidedon, I've taken my dash and doors apart to install a new Pioneer NEX 4000 head unit with backup camera and new speakers and amp.  I posted some photos in the gallery that may help you.

Good job Carmen. Those photos are sure to help someone.

x

Edited by Jerry

Glad to do it. I'll try to add some more when I get farther along.

I am trying to wire a new radio to allow for steering wheel control. I don't want to buy an adapter. Is there a way to wire the controls without an adapter? My new head unit has key 1 and key 2 wires on its harness.

Carmen and Glidedon,

Thanks for the pics and tips on opening the dashboard.

I could really use some more details. For the panel under the steering wheel, I removed the 2 obvious screws, but I'm afraid to just rip it out from there. Hard to know if I'm going to break off some tabs that were meant to release with some special technique.

I want to remove the center cup holder assembly also, which I see Carmen removed. I got the top trim off, and removed 6 screws, but but still seems very solidly attached. Any tips on this? I have a set of plastic pry bars, but I would hate to break some pieces because I was clueless and confident.

(What I'm up to...I want access to the front fan control wiring. I'm going to wire it so the front blower can be powered by either an external 12-volt battery pack, or as normal by the car's electrical system. The blower will then move some air for 6-9 hours while sleeping in the van without the car's ignition on. I have done some electrical tests to prove the concept, but to do it right I need to intercept the supply wire for the fan control.)

Any help much appreciated!

I found a post from ASD Dad that gives the detailed steps for removing dash panels:

http://nissannvforum.com/topic/671-how-to-remove-dash-panels-to-access-radio-or-pockets/

I am still unclear about removing the front cup holder assembly. (Maybe it will be clear once I have the dash panels off?)