RICK

Can't get gps to display when on the bluetooth phone

Not sure if it's a bad gps entertainment center or just a very poor design of the navigation system. 

My 2 week old 3500 with the upgraded radio gps will not dsplay the navigation or maps while i'm on the phone using bluetooth. I've tried to push the map button to swap the screen while on the phone, but all it will display is the current call information. 

So basically if i have a navigation route set up and either make or receive a call, i lose the ability to get directions to my destination. same holds true if i have just the map screen on without a route entered, i lose the maps while on the call. 

The dealer has ordered a new map sd card as the original is a dec. 2012 and the replacement they ordered is dec. 2013. have not been to the dealer to have them swap the card, but i don't think that will upgrade the issues i'm experiencing with the navigation and phone. 

Another issue. the bluetooth doesn't recognize the majority of my voice commands for my phone book. the phone book register only displays 1 name at a time starting from A. So having to keep asking it to display next would take hours for a list of 600 numbers. according to the manual it has a capacity of 1000 numbers so it's not full. 

The phone picks up the incoming phone number, but not the callers name that is associated with the number. 

Is this factory  radio that bad or is my unit defective?  

Thanks,

Rick

Poor design.

I have so many complaints about the nav. Can't change a route while in motion, but able to search your iPhone's music collection safely? Counter-intuitive and ludacris.

There is a small window (top right) that shows next turn direction while on a call, but its not helpful. Also, there are newer maps than 2013 out there.

I don't use the voice commands, so I can't confirm any of that garbage. Had I known the issues I have with this, I may not have gotten the tech package and just the basics and then upgraded to a deck that can integrate with the steering wheel/backup cam, etc. I may end up swapping out the deck at some point too though. 

ok, but i can't even go to back to a map screen while on the phone. not the navigation route or just the basic map screen

since when is looking at the callers phone number and elapsed time more critical than the map or the route.  

anyone else have more positive results or is this the way nissan designed the $1000.00 upgrade?

Rick

I know what you're saying. That's why I usually end up not using bluetooth and take my chances with getting a ticket. I think at this point you have to either deal with it, or upgrade. I've been dealing since 2012 and I'm almost ready to take the plunge. Just gotta find the right deck for me.

Nissan customer service called me back today and asked how everything is going. I explained the gps/ phone issues and what amazes me is he's never driven or tested this model, but says that's the way it is and there is nothing they can do. 

I asked him if he can drive 1 and see it for himself. Says he can't do that, yet he's more knowledgeable on a product he's never used, than a customer who just spent $1000.00 on a technology package that is as dated as a model year 2000 vehicle.  

I'll be going back to the dealer and testing another nv to see if it's just as bad as what's in my van. I can't imagine that all of us would put up with this. My customers can't properly communicate with me while on bluetooth. They can tell something is wrong with the audio quality, and voice cutting out. 

Anyone else have anything positive or negative about their bluetooth gps unit?

Rick

The microphone is so far away that while driving on the highway, the noise is too much for people I am talking to.

I do not use the BT any longer and upgraded my old Jabra BT to the tried and true Plantronics Voyager legend. It is large, but

has excellent noise rejection.

It also has the annoying habit of trying to take over the BT connection with another BT device already in use.

So the last 2 days the bluetooth would not voice dial any names. Even though most of the time the names are not the correct choice.

I discovered that the entire phonebook memory on the radio has been cleared. How does that happen when my phone automatically pairs with the radio when I start the van?

I haven't been back to the dealer to swap out the map sd card, but I doubt the sd card for the maps also stores the phonebook, does it?

Does anyone have any success with their bluetooth working properly and recognizing the commands, phonebook?

Rick

I called the commercial manager i purchased the van from. He asked to give him a little time and he would make some calls to another dealership buddy of his for his take on this. He  was going to call me back from inside of a nv van while testing out the phone and gps. To his surprise he too was very frustrated with the bluetooth and gps. He was told the maps don't display while on the phone so as not to distract the driver. I called BS as all their other luxury cars do display the maps. He also was disappointed in the fact that the phone book is useless. there is no way to scroll except by voice command 1 entry at a time. between his 400 and my 600 entries, it would literally take hours to use the bluetooth hands free to find an entry and call it. 

He never actually drove the van yesterday, only sat inside it to talk on the bluetooth. but it was very easy to tell the difference between the bluetooth and speakerphone even with the van not running. He also though that adjusting the treble and bass on the radio would adjust the call quality. i too told him that doesn't apply to the microphone. 

i've come to the conclusion  the commercial sales manager knows less about the van than i do, Amazing as they have 20-30 nv's in stock at a time. 

He will get back to me next week when his boss is in. Heck even the registration is screwed up. i purposely  paid and had them register it at 15,000#gcwr to make it legal to tow my trailer, of course the plates showed up yesterday and it was registered as the shipping weight of 6003# making it illegal the second i drove off the lot. Of course he doesn't know what has happened to my $165. extra i paid for the weight tag and will find out Monday too. He knows it was processed at 15,000# as it was written up and paid for. 

Anyone towing with their van better be registered at the combined gross vehicle weight.  I can tell you $2750.00 reasons why too. 

Lets see what next week brings. hopefully better news. 

Rick

For a DOT sticker here, it would be for a commercial or business use. Does not apply when pulling my vehicle or camping trailer.

so to follow up on the pm chris sent me goes as follows.

Rick. 

Chris_CommercialManager

• photo-thumb-851.jpg?_r=1414154020
  • Nissan NV Member
  • bullet_black.png
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Current Vehicle:NA

Sent 21 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

You probably haven't read my post yet but I'm serious. Many dealers just don't know this product well. If you're pissed call and let them know. Depending on the dealer they'll take your criticism to heart and make sure they correct the error. At least for me, I don't want anyone unhappy or second guessing something that I could have keyed them into earlier.

Christopher

and my response to chris was.

•  
  • 26 posts
  • My Age Group:51-60
  • My Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:NV 3500 HD SV High Roof

Sent 21 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

Honestly, do you feel that the gps/ bluetooth navigation is up to par with the rest of the vehicles? Today it wouldn't even dial a number. All it wanted to do was redial. 

Since when does everyone get a 2-3 year old sd card in a new vehicle? 

Why no maps when talking on the phone? 

Why is the phone book antiquated? Only starts at the letter A? 

The microphone sounds like a tin can

Honestly, you feel good about recommending this option for $1400.

I can easily buy a better system with working features and still buy the optional airbags and not only have saved money, but have a system im happy with. 

All I have now is a 1400.00 defect that is more trouble than its worth. 

I bought this to replace my sprinter with 38,000 miles because the dealer wasn't able to diagnose my power issue. 

Nissan answer was that's how they all are. Impossible as my parents have an older maxima with better gps and bluetooth

Rick.

with the last follow up by chis.

Rick. 

Chris_CommercialManager

• photo-thumb-851.jpg?_r=1414154020
  • Nissan NV Member
  • bullet_black.png
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Current Vehicle:NA

Sent 22 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

I do feel good selling an informed consumer what they want.  

I can't answer any of your questions but one, and the answer would be yes, I feel that in general the navigation is sub par compared to others on the market.

Christopher

It takes days of use to discover the issues with the navigation bluetooth. It doesn't happen in the 10 minutes sitting inside a dealers parking lot especially when the vehicle of choice was brought in from another dealership 40 miles away from the dealer I made my purchase from. 

The commercial fleet manager who sold me the NV was unaware of the issues with the technology package until I brought it up to him a week later. He then went into a NV in his lot and tested it out, only to be very disappointed  with the end results after pairing the bluetooth with his I phone. He too couldn't get the caller id to display, the maps to display when on the phone, the phonebook to scroll, the sd card was also a 2012 in the 2014 van and the call quality sounded like a tin can. 

So now he is aware of the issues since I informed him. Prior to that he had never tested it. 

Nissan has plenty of lower cost vehicles with much more modern navigation, bluetooth radios installed, yet chose to install outdated units in a modern, new vehicle. doesn't make any sense other than their bottom line. Not a wise thing to do with a new product that you're trying to get this out to the masses. 

Rick

you know what rick....I'm partially responsible for this by continuing to feed into you so I will stop after this post.    I did respond on your thread and via PM, it's called beating a dead horse.  Your attempt to defame me because of a differing opinion is classless.

This unit for you is in fact sub par when comparing to leading edge passenger vehicles....so what, you shouldn't have bought it.  I don't care if your salesman didn't explain everything to you.  Sure that's not cool, but ultimately, before I spend a grand I research things because I that's a lot of money to me and I want to make sure it will fit my needs.  You didn't, only person you have to blame is yourself, not the dealer or Nissan.    Refer to what's been said already by myself and others for conjecture on why the function may be that of what it is. 

Your allowed to have your own opinion.  I don't agree with you on almost anything we've talked about, including your bizarre statement about my right to post here and Nissan dropping the ball with the NV.  I love selling the NV and driving one for work on a daily basis.  I spend ALOT of time in and around them and like a few of my other counterparts here that are in my same industry, can bring a unique perspective and actually offer help to people like Mr. Olaf when something is needed.

I think you got the point of this whole thing anyways.

You never responded to my thread other than through a pm you sent me titled "hey". To which I responded too.

Read this thread and other than 2 posters, and myself who had to copy and paste your pm so the facts are shown.

What amazes me is you're more concerned about a paint chip on 1 roof that may or may not be a factory defect, than a very expensive technology package that affects everbody that opted for this option which I would suspect to be about 25-33% of the nv sales.

I too gave mrolaf my opinion on how to pursue it and he did what I suggested about getting an estimate from a body shop.

Yet, you seem to blow off a concern that affects everybody that owns the technology package weather they know it or not. Most have already discovered the outdated sd cards being furnished with the navigation. But I guarantee you they are unaware of the bluetooth cutting out the ability to see maps while using the phone. The inabilty to use the phonebook unless you have hours of free time to go 1 by 1 trying to look up a name or number. The inability to be understood on the other end of the phone by my customers that have easily figured out something has changed. The inabilty for the bluetooth to select the right contact when voice dialing. The fact the caller ID doesn't display the name of the caller who's name is already in the phone book.

Yes they blew it. They installed the cheapest technology package they could get and forced you to also purchase the side airbags to get the technology package. Yet you want to ignore this and not even respond to my thread, but attack me on another thread when I brought up the fact that bosch makes the radio and most likely the sonar in the rear bumper.

I never said you don't belong on the forum, I said your opinion is bias as your income relies on the sales of this product.

Is everyone suppose to know more about this vehicle and it's technology than the dealer who sells these for a living? Especially since this technology is nothing new, yet they chose to install nothing new and use technology from at least 7 years prior.

Rick.

I have the same Audio /Nav / Bluetooth system as you in my 2012 NV2500.

This is my first vehicle that has had built-in bluetooth so I have nothing to compare it to.

I find that it pairs to most popular cell phones easily & downloads contacts to the phonebook flawlessly

It recognizes my voice commands accurately about 90% of the time.

It recognizes my voice when calling out names of entries in phonebook about 20% of the time.

The problem is the voice recognition  software. It could use a ton of improvement. Nissan cheaped out here.

I've used the Voice Adaptation mode which is a trainer for the voice recognition software but it didn't help.

For receiving incoming calls it works great.

I have not tried to make or receive calls while in navigation mode. My little mind can't do but one thing at a time. Maybe Nissan doesn't want us multi-tasking while driving !

I find that navigation works very good. I think it as about as accurate as my stand alone Garmin unit. The unit in my van just doesn't have quite as many features as the Garmin.

Of course it is like anything you buy from a vehicle mfg or dealer: RIDICULOUSLY OVER PRICED.

Edited by vanguy

The voice command is off most of the time. It doesn't recognize the names of the people I call the most. Very frustrating. No caller id even though they are in my phone book shows it when I dial out, not incoming.

They ordered a new sd card for my 2014 3500, as mine was made in 2012. I went to the dealer last week for a few items and the sd card they recieved is also dated 2012, packaged in 2013 and recieved in 2015. It's totally useless. even the parts guy is frustraited with this system. He told me that Nissan contracts with Pioneer and Clarion along with Bosch. Bosch being the most issues.

I guess you've never tried taking or making a call while on the navigation mode?

Rick

There are at least 2 posts regarding switching to Apple's system. (My current phone won't work with it, even with updates, so there is no point in switching out.) Nevertheless, I am interested in whether or not this is a better system and how it works relative to what we have. So, any NV Apple user reviews?

Edited by radin2son

The voice command is off most of the time. It doesn't recognize the names of the people I call the most. Very frustrating. No caller id even though they are in my phone book shows it when I dial out, not incoming.

They ordered a new sd card for my 2014 3500, as mine was made in 2012. I went to the dealer last week for a few items and the sd card they recieved is also dated 2012, packaged in 2013 and recieved in 2015. It's totally useless. even the parts guy is frustraited with this system. He told me that Nissan contracts with Pioneer and Clarion along with Bosch. Bosch being the most issues.

I guess you've never tried taking or making a call while on the navigation mode?

Rick

When I'm using navigation I'm going somewhere I've never been. So I focus my attention on the GPS screen and I don't make or take calls.

Do other brands of head units with all these same features allow bluetooth call features with the nav going?

Who are they, and what do they cost?

I would be interested if the voice recognition was better.

The voice recognition software works like a circa 1990's edition. Current smartphones voice recognition software is light years ahead of Nissans.

Being a sevice contractor, my phone is always on and living in a city with 3 million plus, the phone keeps ringing. Granted my service area is small, I only do about 6,000 miles a year. But at 12 mph average speed, I need the maps to find the shortest and fastest route to the job. So not having a map when the phone is in use is useless.

Remember they built these for the commercial business customer, not the sunday driver. So having a useless gps and bluetooth is very very bad for business.

Rick.

Edited by RICK

When I'm using navigation I'm going somewhere I've never been. So I focus my attention on the GPS screen and I don't make or take calls.

Do other brands of head units with all these same features allow bluetooth call features with the nav going?

Who are they, and what do they cost?

I would be interested if the voice recognition was better.

The voice recognition software works like a circa 1990's edition. Current smartphones voice recognition software is light years ahead of Nissans.

I know my 2013 chevy traverse allows for gps and bluetooth at the same time. And the voice recognition accuracy is 95% spot on.

Rick.

I know my 2013 chevy traverse allows for gps and bluetooth at the same time. And the voice recognition accuracy is 95% spot on.

Rick.

Who makes the one for your Chevy?

Its the factory chevy/ gm entertainment center. So I would think its Delphi. Looked up the option and it was $795. For the entertainment center, without being forced to buy the additional airbags.

Amazing how the Chevy and Nissan Gps and radio, bluetooth are so night and day. My chevy rates a 10 compared to my nissan a 1, even with my chevy being 1 year older. 10 being tops and 1 being a true disappointment.

Rick.

Edited by RICK

Did some research on aftermarket in-dash navigation receivers. Prices vary from $600.00 to $1500.00.

These type receivers are in their infancy right now. What works with your particular vehicle features may vary widely.

None have built in voice commands for Bluetooth such as phone number look up, dial, etc. all must be done from the touch screen. So in that respect Nissan is ahead of the game to implement this feature on my 3 year old van. Although it doesn't work really well. Maybe that's why aftermarket units don't have it yet or the expense to implement it is too great.

Google recently announced "Android Auto" which should take over voice commands for Bluetooth & hopefully make it work better. This will probably a year or two before this works well & would be available for aftermarket units.

Navigation looks more full featured on the aftermarket units. Kenwood even uses Garmin maps & software. I can't find one that can use your existing GPS receiver. You have to use an external receiver that sits on the dash. Price for map updates look to be the same as any other auto maker $125.00 - $150.00

The USB / Aux input on the NV dash won't work, no adapter connector for aftermarket receivers. Although you can connect a USB cable to the back of the aftermarket receiver & let it hang down under the dash (Ughh)

No way to use your steering wheel controls for the NV vans in the aftermarket units.

Could not find if phone controls will come up while in navigation mode. Nothing in any of the Mfg owner manuals to indicate whether it will or not.

For me it definitely is not worth the cost to switch out given that you loose many of the above features. Also it will be awhile before a good competent system is available for Android devices.

My 3 year old garmin does bluetooth and voice recognition is pretty accurate for hands free commands. 

you need to go to a real stereo shop and talk with a salesman who knows the units. there are plenty that allow voice commands and display the maps while on the phone. 

there are interfaces that will allow you to still use your steering wheel controls. along with a wiring harness  that will plug right into the factory harness. 

Rick.

My 3 year old garmin does bluetooth and voice recognition is pretty accurate for hands free commands. 

you need to go to a real stereo shop and talk with a salesman who knows the units. there are plenty that allow voice commands and display the maps while on the phone. 

there are interfaces that will allow you to still use your steering wheel controls. along with a wiring harness  that will plug right into the factory harness. 

Rick.

I didn't go to any car stereo shops. Wouldn't listen to their salesman anyway. What do they know? They just work there?

I do all my research online. I find that when I'm shopping for something I'm not familiar with, I research for a month or two before going to a local store. I find that 90% of the time I already know 10 times more than the salesperson that has worked there for 10 years. I never trust a salesperson. You can wind up very disappointed with your purchase.

As for these in dash receivers I only checked the 3 largest Mfgs: Pioneer, Kenwood, & Alpine. I checked the owners manuals for the top line models & mid grade models for all three. I also only checked their "Universal Fit" models since they are the only ones that will fit the NV van. According to their manuals none of them can do voice phone commands. Some will do a limited few play music voice commands. They all require you to touch the screen for phone dialing. I also only compared receivers that have all the same features as those in the NV Van: navigation, bluetooth, AM FM radio, DVD player.

Bluetooth phone voice dialing is coming to all three of these Mfgs soon thru Apple Car Play & Android Auto. Right now it is not there and I certainly wouldn't want to be a sucker, excuse me I meant an "early adopter", for this technology. It will need a year or two to mature. (We are suckers, excuse me I meant "early adopters", for this technology for Nissan.)

There may be other brands out there that will fit the NV that have better features, like i said I only checked the big three.

According to Crutchfield there is no cable for steering wheel controls for these 3 mfgs for the NV van. There may be ones for other vehicles.