Sign in to follow this  
JanuszSki

Rear sonar sensor problem

One of my sonar sensors in the rear bumper is loose and doesn't stay in the bumper.

It seems that bracket (jacket?) that holds sensor is broken but the sensor is perfectly good so I want to replace it.

When I mention this my dealer offered to replace whole sensor at the cost of $ 230 + labor when all I need is small plastic bracket. Does any one have idea where can I get it?

There is no bracket; it is a molded plastic part. (If it had only been a rubber gasket...) Unless you can glue it in yourself, it will have to be replaced for $230+.

This is where cheaply made, efficient parts and expensive replacement meet our wallets. Left out of this process is universality.

I am always turning the sensors off in the winter or hard rain. I am not complaining, it is just the nature of the technology (ultrasonic sonar)

When I first bought my NV I thought the sensors were defective because they would go off during heavy rain or snow.  I thought this way because my wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX also has sensors but they operate in a different way.  Instead of always being on, the front and rear sensors only engage when the speed is low and either the button has been pressed or the vehicle is put into reverse at low speed.  In other words if you don't press any buttons and crawl forward into a wall no sensors will go off.  But it you press the button first OR if you have the vehicle in reverse OR go into drive after being in reverse and stay at a crawl speed the sensors will go off.

I am always turning the sensors off in the winter or hard rain. I am not complaining, it is just the nature of the technology (ultrasonic sonar)

I cry foul on this.

I've owned 5 cars now that had ultrasonic sensors in the bumper.  Three Fords a Honda and a Toyota.  None of them went off in the rain or snow like the NV.  I think they either picked overly sensitive sensors or have the control module programmed incorrectly.  Mine chirp at me in the rain, when I stop, in traffic, when it snows, etc.  Not cool and for such a seemingly sorted piece of technology (these have been in cars for over 10 years).

When I first bought my NV I thought the sensors were defective because they would go off during heavy rain or snow.  I thought this way because my wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX also has sensors but they operate in a different way.  Instead of always being on, the front and rear sensors only engage when the speed is low and either the button has been pressed or the vehicle is put into reverse at low speed.  In other words if you don't press any buttons and crawl forward into a wall no sensors will go off.  But it you press the button first OR if you have the vehicle in reverse OR go into drive after being in reverse and stay at a crawl speed the sensors will go off.

Good point.  This suggests the control module is at fault.  Why keep these things on above 5 mph?  They should shut off automatically, IMO

Probably the same company that designed the radio/ bluetooth and gps unit. 

it's not like it's cutting edge technology, this stuff has been around for years. 

Nissan, you got to get your act together and monitor our complaints so maybe you can improve on your faulty design decisions. 

Rick.

Rick no offense, give it a rest.  We all know how you feel about your radio.  

You seem disgruntled and unhappy.  Trade your truck and take your negativity with you, this is a forum for constructive discussion.   

I think you'll find no product is perfect.  I can't even imagine how pissed you'd be if you bought a Mercedes dodge or ford with all the quirks in those.  This is a commercial product Rick.  There is a trickle down of technology.  We will not have the latest and greatest....ever.  Who wants to spend the extra money for that.  You?  If so go to benz and see where that gets you not only with price but quirks.

Nissan has done a damn fine job of building a great competitive product that is super price conscious, it should return tremendous reliability for most importantly those people relying on it as a tool to provide for their families.  We here on this forum think it's the best product on the market and are proud to be selling and owning such a fine product.  

Chris - well said:

"Rick no offense, give it a rest. We all know how you feel about your radio.

You seem disgruntled and unhappy. Trade your truck and take your negativity with you, this is a forum for constructive discussion."

Time to move on ...

Good point.  This suggests the control module is at fault.  Why keep these things on above 5 mph?  They should shut off automatically, IMO

I have factory meeting in Mississippi in a few weeks and will be having a round table discussion among other things and I couldn't agree more with this and will bring it up and see what they say and report back to you guys.

While in Mississippi, I hope you mention this forum and encourage following and participation.

I also hope you are able to bring up the 2 major complaints that have appeared on this forum and relate directly to the factory.

The first was the failure and replacement x2 of the steering assembly. A third was pending, but no further info was provided. I would not drive this vehicle after the third failure and would seek a new replacement vehicle from the factory. This would cost $30+K to get it off the road, unless it really is multi-vehicle problem and becomes a major recall that impacts similarly equipped NVs. I then would pursue replacement via AZ's lemon law.

The second is the paint issue. Why did this have to be fought? The factory could simply authorize getting the roof repainted, unless the real issue is poor paint process subject to recall. If so, we all will be impacted.

Finally, the ad department cannot boast about the NV warranty until all dealers and reps fix what is broken, worn out or flaking off while the NV is under warranty. It does us no good at all to know that dealers here and there do what is expected and beyond for the NV customer.

Thanks for the mention about the paint radin2son :-)

Rick no offense, give it a rest.  We all know how you feel about your radio.  

You seem disgruntled and unhappy.  Trade your truck and take your negativity with you, this is a forum for constructive discussion.   

I think you'll find no product is perfect.  I can't even imagine how pissed you'd be if you bought a Mercedes dodge or ford with all the quirks in those.  This is a commercial product Rick.  There is a trickle down of technology.  We will not have the latest and greatest....ever.  Who wants to spend the extra money for that.  You?  If so go to benz and see where that gets you not only with price but quirks.

Nissan has done a damn fine job of building a great competitive product that is super price conscious, it should return tremendous reliability for most importantly those people relying on it as a tool to provide for their families.  We here on this forum think it's the best product on the market and are proud to be selling and owning such a fine product.

Fyi, I do own a sprinter and had some of the same issues with other sprinter owners. Bad glo plugs. The sprinter forum disscusses everthing from pros and cons and gets well over 50 updates daily.

If you would have read my intro post, you would be aware why " I dumped the sprinter for a NV".

Fyi the dealer, commercial manager was also unaware of all the radio bluetooth gps issues until he spent 30 minutes in the van and tested it himself, even calling me while in the van trying testing it. He never knew how poor of a design it was. He also tried a 2015 and there is some improvements and is looking into swapping mine with the newer version. He also has over 30 NV on the lot at a time.

I might be the 1 vocal person discussing the issues, but there is not 1 good review on this forum about the radio gps that nissan installed in the NV. For $35,000 I have a right to be upset. I at least own the Nv and sprinter along with 5 other vehicles

You as a salesman for this vehicle have less rights discussing this as it's truly a conflict of interest and bias as your income relies on it. My income relies on my ability to make and recieve phone calls, and also have the ability to navigate at the same time. Something that can't be done with this navigation package. Why do I need to see the callers phone number and time duration, but not be able to see the maps or navigate while on the phone? Their other vehicles , even older ones are not this poorly designed. But you already know this.

If only others had posted about the issue on the forum prior to buying this option, I would have saved the $1400.00 and installed an aftermarket unit, as others have done after the fact. And by the way, according to the manager, the 2015 can be ordered with the navigation package without having to also purchase the secondary airbag package. A savings of $400. So the 2015 has made an improvement in the navigation and eliminated the need to buy airbags to get the radio package. I'm sure it was a decision made based on others who made the same mistake and voiced their concerns in the public and to Nissan.

So go ahead and keep private messaging me so others don't see your thoughts, why not just admit Nissan blew it and Bring it up to the big shots when you see them in Mississippi. And while you're at it, ask them why I'm averaging 5-8 mpg with my new NV. Sure it only has 700 miles so far, but it's not even loaded with more than 1000# right now.

Please don't private message me anymore as I am not interested in your private messages. Man up and post openly so all can read your comments.

Rick

While in Mississippi, I hope you mention this forum and encourage following and participation.

I also hope you are able to bring up the 2 major complaints that have appeared on this forum and relate directly to the factory.

The first was the failure and replacement x2 of the steering assembly. A third was pending, but no further info was provided. I would not drive this vehicle after the third failure and would seek a new replacement vehicle from the factory. This would cost $30+K to get it off the road, unless it really is multi-vehicle problem and becomes a major recall that impacts similarly equipped NVs. I then would pursue replacement via AZ's lemon law.

The second is the paint issue. Why did this have to be fought? The factory could simply authorize getting the roof repainted, unless the real issue is poor paint process subject to recall. If so, we all will be impacted.

Finally, the ad department cannot boast about the NV warranty until all dealers and reps fix what is broken, worn out or flaking off while the NV is under warranty. It does us no good at all to know that dealers here and there do what is expected and beyond for the NV customer.

I do plan on bringing up the forum.  It has already been a topic of discussion, mr Olaf and I have talked and I have passed along a link to his thread and contact information to an individual from Nissan that may be able to assist.

Fyi, I do own a sprinter and had some of the same issues with other sprinter owners. Bad glo plugs. The sprinter forum disscusses everthing from pros and cons and gets well over 50 updates daily.

If you would have read my intro post, you would be aware why " I dumped the sprinter for a NV".

Fyi the dealer, commercial manager was also unaware of all the radio bluetooth gps issues until he spent 30 minutes in the van and tested it himself, even calling me while in the van trying testing it. He never knew how poor of a design it was. He also tried a 2015 and there is some improvements and is looking into swapping mine with the newer version. He also has over 30 NV on the lot at a time.

I might be the 1 vocal person discussing the issues, but there is not 1 good review on this forum about the radio gps that nissan installed in the NV. For $35,000 I have a right to be upset. I at least own the Nv and sprinter along with 5 other vehicles

You as a salesman for this vehicle have less rights discussing this as it's truly a conflict of interest and bias as your income relies on it. My income relies on my ability to make and recieve phone calls, and also have the ability to navigate at the same time. Something that can't be done with this navigation package. Why do I need to see the callers phone number and time duration, but not be able to see the maps or navigate while on the phone? Their other vehicles , even older ones are not this poorly designed. But you already know this.

If only others had posted about the issue on the forum prior to buying this option, I would have saved the $1400.00 and installed an aftermarket unit, as others have done after the fact. And by the way, according to the manager, the 2015 can be ordered with the navigation package without having to also purchase the secondary airbag package. A savings of $400. So the 2015 has made an improvement in the navigation and eliminated the need to buy airbags to get the radio package. I'm sure it was a decision made based on others who made the same mistake and voiced their concerns in the public and to Nissan.

So go ahead and keep private messaging me so others don't see your thoughts, why not just admit Nissan blew it and Bring it up to the big shots when you see them in Mississippi. And while you're at it, ask them why I'm averaging 5-8 mpg with my new NV. Sure it only has 700 miles so far, but it's not even loaded with more than 1000# right now.

Please don't private message me anymore as I am not interested in your private messages. Man up and post openly so all can read your comments.

Rick

Rick, the only thing we have pm'd about is your radio so I have no idea what your suggesting.  The reason why I PM'd you is because just like what I'm about to write here, it detracts from the forum, is off topic, and rude in this case, to the new member who started his first post. 

Rick I'm always up for a lively debate, different opinions, and people who want to talk about it.  And I think we did that, you started a thread and we all talked about it.   This forum is in general a medium for people whom are passionate about their vehicles to do research, discuss relevant topics, and for many have a good time.  What you wrote in this guys post is off topic, has absolutely no merit or informative quality, is decisively negative.  I personally don't want to hear it, it's rude and immature.  I enjoy this forum and members on it, were a good mix of people and I think we all belong and have positive contributions to make, including you.  However you mentioning I have less rights to be here than you is probably one of the most childish things I've ever read on an adult forum.  I don't know who you think you are or what your mindset is to even make a comment like that, it tells me that rational conversation and thought is out the window with you.  Go ahead and hang around here, I just hope you don't infect all the topics with posts like above.

Like I said before, the best solution for you is to sell the your truck because your unhappy.  You are the only person here thinking Nissan "blew" it.  So actually you are in luck because of that, the used market is very strong for lowest cost of ownership in segment, well made, best in class warranty vehicles.  Cheers!

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager

Rick, the only thing we have pm'd about is your radio so I have no idea what your suggesting.  The reason why I PM'd you is because just like what I'm about to write here, it detracts from the forum, is off topic, and rude in this case, to the new member who started his first post. 

Rick I'm always up for a lively debate, different opinions, and people who want to talk about it.  And I think we did that, you started a thread and we all talked about it.   This forum is in general a medium for people whom are passionate about their vehicles to do research, discuss relevant topics, and for many have a good time.  What you wrote in this guys post is off topic, has absolutely no merit or informative quality, is decisively negative.  I personally don't want to hear it, it's rude and immature.  I enjoy this forum and members on it, were a good mix of people and I think we all belong and have positive contributions to make, including you.  However you mentioning I have less rights to be here than you is probably one of the most childish things I've ever read on an adult forum.  I don't know who you think you are or what your mindset is to even make a comment like that, it tells me that rational conversation and thought is out the window with you.  Go ahead and hang around here, I just hope you don't infect all the topics with posts like above.

Like I said before, the best solution for you is to sell the your truck because your unhappy.  You are the only person here thinking Nissan "blew" it.  So actually you are in luck because of that, the used market is very strong for lowest cost of ownership in segment, well made, best in class warranty vehicles.  Cheers!

i'm amazed you will not respond to my radio bluetooth , navigation concerns on the open forum, yet in private you admit the navigation unit is "sub par"  

i'm also amazed that i bring up a fact about the radio and sonar being the same company and you tell me you've heard enough about it. yet you're not aware bosch builds the radio and and pretty sure they also build the bumper sonar unit. so it is relevant to the this topic. 

you also state other haven't had issue with the radio/ navigation , bluetooth. wrong once again as the 2 people who responded to my post have said the same thing and on other post, members have replaced their radio/ nav unit with aftermarket units. while others have complained about the fact the sd data cards are at least 2 years older than the vehicle they are installed in. 

i will also  move this discussion over to my post so as not to continue the he said she said debate going on. 

anyone interested in learning more or contributing to a post about the radio. bluetooth, navigation unit can follow it at this thread. 

http://nissannvforum.com/topic/517-cant-get-gps-to-display-when-on-the-bluetooth-phone/

Rick

you know what rick....I'm partially responsible for this by continuing to feed into you so I will stop after this post.    I did respond on your thread and via PM, it's called beating a dead horse.  Your attempt to defame me because of a differing opinion is classless.

This unit for you is in fact sub par when comparing to leading edge passenger vehicles....so what, you shouldn't have bought it.  I don't care if your salesman didn't explain everything to you.  Sure that's not cool, but ultimately, before I spend a grand I research things because I that's a lot of money to me and I want to make sure it will fit my needs.  You didn't, only person you have to blame is yourself, not the dealer or Nissan.    Refer to what's been said already by myself and others for conjecture on why the function may be that of what it is. 

Your allowed to have your own opinion.  I don't agree with you on almost anything we've talked about, including your bizarre statement about my right to post here and Nissan dropping the ball with the NV.  I love selling the NV and driving one for work on a daily basis.  I spend ALOT of time in and around them and like a few of my other counterparts here that are in my same industry, can bring a unique perspective and actually offer help to people like Mr. Olaf when something is needed.

I think you got the point of this whole thing anyways.

Like I already posted on my previous post. I moved my response to my thread which you still have ignored. Not 1 post, but would rather respond on this page.

So I will lead you and others to the proper thread again.

Can't get the gps to display when on the bluetooth.

Rick

new van with 500 miles .....has sonar and rear camera.

Cant stand the constant beeping in reverse.....

crawled on rear bumper and removed all 4 wiring harness to

sonar----PEACE AT LAST

Why didn't you just turn it off on the dash switch?

Mine likes to beep when backing out of a driveway and it sees the street at a closer angle.

Rick

but there is not 1 good review on this forum about the radio gps that nissan installed in the NV.

I actually quite like the factory gps/radio unit in the 2015 NV3500 SL. Simple, functional, user friendly. Even reads my text messages out loud when I'm driving.

Cheers

Sean

Why didn't you just turn it off on the dash switch?

Mine likes to beep when backing out of a driveway and it sees the street at a closer angle.

Rick

Was thinking the same thing. Flip a switch when you are backing or pulling in, problem solved. If they ever come out with a TSB for this, I'll be one of the first to bring it in though. Pretty annoying in the rain.

I actually quite like the factory gps/radio unit in the 2015 NV3500 SL. Simple, functional, user friendly. Even reads my text messages out loud when I'm driving.

Cheers

Sean

yes, in the 2015 they upgraded the radio gps unit. 

nissan uses 3 different radio manufactures. bosch, pioneer and clarion according to the parts dept. 

Rick. 

harold50... while that does negate the sonar from beeping, it does not solve the problem. As now it no longer works when it is supposed to either.  If I just paid $40K for a vehicle, I would expect this sort of "known and developed" technology to actually work the way it is supposed to work. I shouldn't have to make work-arounds so that my vehicle doesn't annoy me all the time. 

And Chris_commercialmanager, your initial answer of, "no vehicle is perfect", is not acceptable at all.  If I had purchased my NVP from your dealership and that was the answer you gave me when I came in about this issue, I would have given you the vehicle back right there and walked to another dealership with my 40K...