Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Where would we be if we chose an Armada?

We would be in a tent or towing a trailer. Not a bad option, trailer that is, to have as a home base and a vehicle to explore the area.

Truck Trend just added a 2014 Armada ($53K) to their long term test fleet. Since it carries 8 and has the same V8 as the NV, it puts a different perspective on NVs moving people and fuel economy.

In real use over 6300 miles, they averaged 15.9 mpg. Best tank full was 19.8 mpg (hwy at 70-75 mph) and worst was 9.8 mpg (towing a 6600 pound trailer). EPA is 14 city, 18 hwy.

I'd say NVs do more and fuel consumption is more than acceptable.

The 2nd of 4 long term test reports is out and should make NVP owners happy.

For almost $56k, the Armada has the same V8, a 9000 pound tow rating, 4x4, seats for 6-8 and an average of 13.84 mpg. High of 16.49 mpg and low of 11.29 mpg.

I still think the NVP is a better value, particularly if you need the room for people, pets and gear. Our mpg also has been higher.

Edited by radin2son

You guys are saving a lot of money on fuel vs towing a trailer on your travels.  Given the choice I'd definately choose the route you guys took and get a nice set up I could sleep in as well.

I agree with Chris, if I were road going and traveling a ton I would much rather have a setup like yours.  Current needs dictate a trailer or lots of tents though!  3 kids under 7yrs of age and two large dogs to cart around to campgrounds right now!  

15.33 mpg for a 6,224 mile trip. Computer said 16 mpg but it always measures higher than figuring it on paper.

Our '83 VW carried 2 kids and one large dog. The kids slept on top. Now we have 2 medium size dogs and no kids; we sleep on top. Every so often I sit in back and wonder what it would be like with no dogs.

Edited by radin2son

x

Edited by Jerry

3rd of 4 Armada long term reports on Truck Trend shows an average of 13.43 mpg (Best tank, 16.49 mpg and low, 11.11 mpg) to date. This included some 4x4 on gravel roads... Same V8 as NVs, and a lot of us average much better mpg, carry a "ton" more and paid much less than $56k.

Interesting option on the Armada is the Sportz SUV tent...

In fairness, no one pays MSRP for the Armada.  It is an "also ran" compared to the other large SUVs (Expedition, Suburban/Yukon, Sequoia).  You can pick one up for Mid-$40k pretty loaded.  So more expensive, but not THAT much more expensive...

True, but NVs are also discounted. NVPs are a better value even when you add 4x4.

Armada was never on our radar. In January, we met a couple who had a brand new Armada and were camping in it; sleeping in the back and cooking etc. out side. It was a great vehicle to explore the area. When TT did a long term test report, I was mainly interested in mpg. The last test pointed out it "was not a truck."

With NVs it is all about being a truck, function and space, no matter what the intended use.

Edited by radin2son