Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Maintenance: what to change and when

www.trucktrend.com just posted a great article, Routine Maintenance-Shop Class. Many of the old rules no longer apply based on new technology, fluids and the way we drive. For example, "normal driving," as defined by each driver, lets us extend the oil change to 7500 miles. The owner of that mega mile NV changing oil at 8000 miles was not that far off the mark. I try to keep oil changes to 5000 miles, but I now won't worry if I exceed this looking for a NV dealer.

This article is an excellent read. I'm going to get out the service manual and record it there. Too much info to absorb or remember.

x

Edited by Jerry

I found the service recommendations for 30, 60, 90 and 100K to be helpful. I at the very least now have a better idea about what is needed even if there are no problems.

One thing not addressed in the article is what happens to the engine warranty if the oil changes are not done according to the service manual. Are the manual intervals "recommended" or requiried?

Nissan "recommends" the intervals on the oil changes.  In the event of a catastrophic event your going to be covered if you run over the intervals, within reason of.  We would need to prove that you did something malicious for you not be covered.  ie...finding alot of sludge build up from severe abuse and maintenance neglect.

On a side note, I know I'm old school but my father taught me to change oil every 3000 miles.  I do it even today with mobil 1 in a few of my cars.  I have never had engine related failure in any of my daily drivers, to me it's cheap insurance.  Plus I don't mind doing it on the weekend with a beer in my hand and the beach boys on the radio  :)

Thanks. Good to know.

If you use full synthetic oil & premium oil filters there is no problem with 5000 - 7500 mile oil changes. I've been doing it for years.

The old natural oils could break down over time, just due to attracting bacteria (engine didn't even have to run). Synthetics don't have that problem. Synthetics have 4 -10 times the lubrication factor of natural oils & so last longer.

Getting an oil change at the dealership this morning. Tires still have some life in them but not enough for an extended trip. Getting an estimate from the dealer for replacement and balancing. Alignment check? Early on there was some scalloping but the tires appear to have even wear.

Learned that tpms requires sensor replacement ($100 each) not battery change. Life expectancy is 4 to 7 years. Advice was to do nothing until one goes, then replace them.

Will find out later what else needs attention or replacement.

No special on tires, but everything checked out fine.

Edited by radin2son

About the tpms sensors - has anyone just had them removed (at tire change or otherwise)?

Wondering if doing so will cause a problem with some control unit searching for what isn't there and constantly displaying a check tire error.

Wollip

I changed tires and wheels, and yes the tire error light stays on. I just ignore it! (kinda)

I also tried the PVC pipe thing with sensors installed and PSI to 80 which turned off the light. The problem is it doesn't stay off, I believe the sensors or ECU, wants to see tire motion and pressure changes. If you take the PVC pipe bomb out of the vehicle and change the pressure it immediately upon return will turn the light off. Then after a highway drive will come back on, I did notice short around town trips keeps the sensors off for a longer period of time. 

Side note:

I did pressurize the PVC canister to100psi and the light did go out again, then came back on after highway drive. Then I pulled over and lowered the pressure to 80 and light out again for same time frame as noted above.

I think the TPMS in the tires go to sleep to preserve battery life, when not communicating with the ECU or TPMS module.

Edited by Jerry

Jerry-

Thanks for the detailed reply - lots of good information.

Everything is so interconnected anymore - looks like I'll just plan on keeping them active whenever the time comes to change tires.

I had my first check tire light the other day after three years of ownership. Nothing wrong with the tire - sensor seemed to reset about 60 miles later when driving over a rough railroad crossing.

I paid 179.95 free shipping for a set of 4.  Used in second set of wheels, ie non winter tires from HH Auto Wheel and Trim

TPMS-9494281 Nissan NV3500 2012-2014