neotim

Where to mount brake controller?

Where have ya'll mounted the brake controller in your NV's?  I'm thinking maybe directly below the steering column in the middle of the plastic panel.

I was going to mount it there. But I tend to prefer sitting quite close to the wheel, with my knees just off the lower panel, and I feared knocking it with my knee a lot upon entry and exit. So I mounted it all the way to the right, right where the dash meets the center console. Never in the way for me. I actually hung it with some industrial Velcro instead of drilling..... So far it seems to be working fine. I'm a little worried about the summer months when the cab gets super hot tho.....

I mounted mine just to the right and lower than the ignition key. short screws into the plastic. needs to be secure and level. don't trust tape if it falls, the brakes can lock when you apply the brakes. 

Rick

not allowing me to attach a photo for some reason. 

I have a "time delayed" controller, can be mounted in any position. Proportional brake controllers do need to be mounted closer to level.

I like to have the brake controller near by so that if I needed to I could grab it in an emergency, so I mounted it in the dead space below the radio. And proportional brake controllers depending on the brand do not need to be level at all.

3334026_l.jpg

I like to have the brake controller near by so that if I needed to I could grab it in an emergency, so I mounted it in the dead space below the radio. And proportional brake controllers depending on the brand do not need to be level at all.

3334026_l.jpg

Can you point me towards some instructions on getting that trim piece off?  I want to mount my P3 in that same spot!  

IIRC I went from the steering wheel across taking trim pieces as I went, most were just pressure fit/snap on pieces. I used the Prodigy/Nissan harness to connect the prodigy, but I had to lengthen so it would reach. I think I removed the vents also to help get the dash pieces off. I think I have pictures somewhere, I'll try to find them.

Oh, and it is attached by a single screw from the side of the cubby. The pressure fit from shoveing the prodigy into the cubby was enough to secure it, but the screw was insurance.

Got mine mounted.  Wrote up a How To: as well to get the dash apart under the Radio forum.

Sticks out more than I like so may need to do some more modding but for now it is mounted, solid and within easy reach.

post-1016-0-32552400-1430187716_thumb.jpg

I had to make a big hole in the back of the pocket so that the prodigy would fit better, more flush. It still sticks out though.

Edited by Tatunka

Your controller isnt as fat as the P3 so it could slide in more.  I have a lot of room behind mine but the lever on the bottom to manually control the brakes sticks down too far.

I mounted the Prodigy P2 to the level under dash surface near and next to the left side of the console. Is above my right shin but not too close.

I can still reach it while driving.

My brake controller has 4 wires and the Trailer Tow brake jumper sub harness has 6 wires which wires should i use to hook this up. the other issue i have is that i do not have the tow button in my van. Any idea if i need that if not when towing what do i do