Sign in to follow this  
pruitt10

Electric Brake Controller

I just got a 2012 nv2500, it does not have the wiring for the brake controller as described in the manual (it says some models may be so equipped), however there is a male connector by the emergency brake cable underneath the dash. Can anyone tell me what this is for. I am hoping it is for the brake controller wiring. Thanks

That sounds like the OBD2 connector (On Board Diagnostics).

Edited by kitcarlson

That sounds like the OBD2 connector (On Board Diagnostics).

My NV had a connector just below the emergency brake that was taped up. The dealer had, however, installed a trailer hitch and the wiring harness on my NV. So I don't know if this connector would have been there had the dealer not done what he did???? I did not see the van until it was ready for pick up at the dealership.

I have added a prodigy brake controller to my NV and all seems to be working well. Maybe you should ask your dealer about the plug you found. My diagnostics plug is attached to the bottom of the plastic just below the steering wheel/column.

I ordered a wiring harness from the supplier where I got the Prodigy controller so all was "plug and play". I think it was the same harness that all Nissan vehicles require. I can provide the info on the supplier and the id for the harness if you wish?

Jay

I checked for the open connector at the emergency brake cable and found it. I looked in my NV2012 service manual disk. It seems to be E44, electric brake pre-wire circuit. I found it in the PG.pdf section on page 47. The connector has multiple pins however there only seem to be three wires, red, green and black, they are fairly heavy gauge.

the connector near the park brake is the factory pre wire for a brake controller! It is a very simple installation if you have the factory 7 pin wiring harness. If your nv did not come with a hitch, I strongly recomend the OE harness that is available at any nissan dealer. nissan also offers a subharness that plugs in for the brake controller but any trailer supply has a direct connect harness for most newer brake controllers, its a very simple plug and play setup!

Hey everyone. I have a question that I am hoping you guys can help me out with.

2013 NV2500 with factory hitch and wiring for 7 way. I have installed the brake controller with the plug and play connector. All of that is working as it should. My problem is that I do not have the 12 volt at the 7 way. I am sure that there is a fuse or a connection to make to enable the 12 volt lead on the 7 way.

In my Chevy 2500, I have to make a connection at the fuse panel under the hood. I cannot find anything like that on the NV.

I pull 2 trailers and both have the battery backup for the trailer brakes and interior lights that run on the 12 volt. So now that I have this van, I have no charging for the trailer battery or any interior lights until I find a way to simply make the connection.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to offer.

This might be a little late but I found this information in the body builders guide for the trailer fuses and their numerical location. 

Fuse # and color

4    Red 10A Battery Trailer tow (I am guessing this is the one that powers the 7 pin)

7    Red 10A Battery *1 Parking, license plate and tail lamps (trailer tow)

16  Red 10A Ignition, Start Sonar system, back-up lamp (trailer tow)

20  Red 10A Ignition, Start ABS control, stop lamp control (trailer tow)

21  Red 10A Ignition, Start Back-up lamp control (trailer tow), sonar system

Relay # and Color

2     Blue 15A Battery Turn signal control (trailer tow)

5     Green 30A Battery Electric brake (trailer tow)

14   Green 30A Battery Charging system (trailer tow)

29   Blue — — Tail lamp relay (trailer tow)

30   Blue — — LH turn relay (trailer tow)

31   Brown — — Ignition relay (trailer tow)

32   Blue — — RH turn relay (trailer tow)

I would start there, next step I guess would be to trace the wires.  If you need it the body builders guide on page 151 (I think) has a diagram of the 7 pin layout.

Edited by Tatunka

I have a 2015 NV3500 with the factory tow package, and went to install a Prodigy P2 controller.  To my knowledge, Tekonsha doesn't make a harness for this vehicle, so you would have to get a universal one and splice the wires with the butt splices.

If you use the harness that Nissan provides with the vehicle, be advised this is a 5-wire harness and the Prodigy (and most others I think) are 4-wire controllers.  I ended up not terminating the wire labeled for brake controller illumination.  Also the colors of the wires don't match up, so be sure to use wiring diagrams for both the controller and the harness.

After getting everything terminated and plugging in the camper, I was getting an "N.C." error on the controller...no trailer connected.  Check voltage between the 5 and 7 o'clock pins and no voltage.  Check the output of the controller...12 volts.  At this point, the problem is between the terminations I just made and the 7-pin connector by the hitch.  After verifying the terminations, I pulled the harness off the backside of the 7-pin connector and noticed that the 5 o'clock pin was bent and wasn't seating properly in its socket.  Pushed it into place and re-secured the harness.  All good.  Literally we are happy campers!

Just wanted to share this so you know that just because it's a brand new vehicle, things can and do go wrong once in a while at the factory!

I too have a Tekonsha P2 and a 2013 NV 3500 passenger. It did not come with the tow package however I purchased the factory 7-pin wire harness and added it myself. I used a Tekonsha Nissan wire harness and plugged directly into the factory connection point under the dash and right into the back of my P2. No issues, no splicing just plug in the 7-pin harness from Nissan and route it to the back.

Edited by dneiding