Sign in to follow this  
ASD Dad

Initial QC issues

Just checking in to see if anybody else had a few QC issues that I think should have been picked up before ever leaving the line or delivered.  Some are blatant and easy catches, others not so much but still.  After spending near $40K on a new vehicle I dont expect these but maybe I am spoiled by my past cars...

1) Drivers side leather seat is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat in.  Zero support and seams dig in.  Passenger seat is just fine. - 

2) The power door lock switch sticks down 99.9% time.  Requires me to press it back up.

3) Passenger side A-pillar trim incorrectly installed.  3/4" gap, rubber trim not seated properly.  Whole thing is loose.

4) I am getting the "come to a stop and parking sensors beep" problem fairly regularly.  This is with no other vehicles around, rain or shine.  Driving me crazy.

My NVP was built March 2015 and has 600 miles or so on it.  Items 2 and 3 should have been caught a few times and were not.  I blame the factory inspection and dealer inspection.  Item 1 I think is a defect in the seat.  Item 4 is a Known issue from what I keep reading and has been around for a while.  My van was built a month ago and it is still going on so they obviously cant fix it.

I am taking it in next week to have all 4 things looked at and documented.  Not thrilled since the dealer is an hour away but I knew that going in and buying the NVP.  

I've had good luck with Nissan in the past.  I have friends who love their Nissans.  I have an old friend who has raced Nissans and been a parts manager at a big dealer forever.  Hopefully they cant take care of these things and I can get to enjoying my new NVP.

Edited by ASD Dad

Sorry to hear that. My 2015 NV SL has none of the issues you have had.

Do you have a block heater with the chord dangling outside? Perhaps this could set of the sensor. I Have noticed it to be extremely sensitive. But has only been an issue when towing a trailer. When towing, I just turn it off.

Sorry to hear that. My 2015 NV SL has none of the issues you have had.

Do you have a block heater with the chord dangling outside? Perhaps this could set of the sensor. I Have noticed it to be extremely sensitive. But has only been an issue when towing a trailer. When towing, I just turn it off.

As far as I know, US NVs do not get a block heater from the factory, I had to find the part number off a Armada site just so I could order it. Also my sensors decide on a day by day basis if they are going to work correctly or not.

No block heater on mine.  Still beeps randomly every day.  Happened this morning with no cars around.  Came to a stop and "BEEP".  Annoying but at least it is one beep.

Van goes in this evening to have all 4 issues looked at and hopefully the easy ones will be fixed before I leave.  

Update. Just got home from Nissan of Greer in Greer, SC.  They are my only NV dealership.

Went as expected.  They didn’t even have their NV tech there and they had all my issues wrong on the work order when I arrived.  I am getting peeved I am stuck with these idiots for all my service work.  The guy who signed me in was nice enough but that was about the highlight of my trip.

Door lock – fixed in 10 minutes.

Trim – fixed in about 2 minutes.

Parking sensor – couldn’t make it randomly beep in the bay (obviously) so they wrote it off as nothing but put it on my account and they would talk to Nissan about it when the NV tech got in this week.

Seat – sat in it about 10 seconds and said they felt nothing.  I told them to just sit there longer and he just squirmed around a bunch.  You’re not going to feel it like that, you need to Sit in the stupid seat for a bit.  Regardless he said he felt nothing at all and again, I need to wait for the NV tech to look at my complaint and maybe call Nissan about it.  When I checked in I told them he needs to sit in there several minutes like he was driving.

Overall it was a waste of 3 hours.  I could have fixed the two items that were wrong at home in about the same amount of time but I wanted it documented it left the lot that way.  The other two issues went about the way I thought they would go.  Not sure what I will do next but I cant say I am pleased at all.  

It's really sad honestly, I do like the NVP quite a bit and it fits out family needs perfectly.  I normally try and buy a car based on dealership service, I can get a good price anywhere these days.  We tend to keep our vehicles a while so service tends to be more important in the long run.  So far Nissan of Greer is striking out big time in customer relations and they are my only choice "locally".  My next closest dealer is 2+ hours away.

Just wanted to update on this.  On 4/28 Greer Nissan called me to tell me that Nissan had approved replacing the lower seat cushion on the driver's side as a "Good will gesture".  Took them 8 days to get that approval but they got it.

Fast forward to today, one month later since taking it in.  Still no seat cushion in sight.  I called today and was told "we have no idea where it is, they send it when they send it."  I asked if they can call about the issue before I tear the stupid seat apart on my own to get it done.  They told me they would try and get back to me next week...

I am beyond displeased that I am stuck with those people.  I've got a few closer dealers but none are authorized for the NV's.  I haven't had my first service yet and I am already dreading going there.  My other choice is to make a day trip out of it with a 4 hour round trip drive plus whatever the actual service time is.  

I am giving them until Tues and then I start calling the regional rep and national service line.  I just dont want to get blacklisted at the dealership for the remainder of my ownership of this van... 

Why go there, anybody can change your oil and filter. Just keep a record.

My dealer just sent me a notice that my first service is coming up soon. That I should have 1806 miles already. So they want me to come in around June 12th. They also listed my vehicle as a high top nv1500. Whoops, it's a standard 2500, guess they forgot what they sold me.

Anyway, I'm pushing 6000 and already had 1 service.

Edited by Jerry

Jerry - 

Routine work I can inquire at my local dealer who is 20 min away and see if they can service it.  For actual work like my seat being replaced they told me I had to go to a NV dealer.  

x

Edited by Jerry

So just got a call from Nissan of Greer.  Seems the Service Mgr I was dealing with has been let go.  Big shocker.  New guy called just now and told me that Nissan will NOT cover my seat under warranty.  I need to bring it back and let their body shop remove the cushion, remove the leather and see if they can figure out what the issue is.  If they see nothing I am SOL.  If they see something or cant fix it then they need to resubmit for approval.  

What a flipping joke this is becoming.  It's been a Month since I was told Nissan would cover it and they just needed to wait on the part!! Dealer isnt exactly close by so I either fix myself or waste another day of driving and sitting there.  I am leaning towards fixing this myself at this point...

I can say I will never recommend this dealer to anybody I talk to and I get plenty asking about my NVP.  Their sales dept was fine but forget it if you need service.  

Remember that number I suggested everyone keep handy... Call them, and while you are at it remind them to call me back.

I assume you have tried to find another NVP with leather. If not get on the Internet, find one no matter where it is and test it. A new seat cushion may do nothing.

If you get nowhere, contact BBB and find another dealer for everything.

Your other option, extreme, is to get rid of it. You have 2 issues: lack of power compared to your Toyota and a driver's seat you find intolerable.

I did find another NVP, this dealer had two on the lot.  I didnt feel anything and I dont feel anything on the passenger side.  Dealer insisted they felt nothing on mine but he didnt sit in it long enough.

Next closest NV dealer is 2 hours away.  Dont feel like being on the road for 4 hours in driving...

Getting rid of it is not an option right now unless it ends up being I have to find another dealer.  A) I would take a bath on a trade with it being brand new with 3000 miles on it.  B) I can fix both issues on my own if it really came down to it but I shouldnt have to fix the seat issue.  

I actually have brand new Katzkins leather covers for it sitting in a box.  They dont have the same seams, just big panels of padded leather.  They were/are my backup plan should Nissan stiff me on repair.  I have no intention of putting up with the seat long term.  Power wise I am sure I can get used to it and when empty it is fine for daily driving.  The Toyota was deceptively quick but 4.30 gearing and 400ft/lb of torque will launch even a pig quickly.  There are plenty of bolt ons for the 5.6 Nissan motor to wake it up should I want to go that route.

I am making the call to Nissan soon, right now we are dealing with a family health emergency.  

You have everything covered so to speak...

Hope your family emergency resolves itself quickly and positively.

Well it turns out I am going to Nissan of Greer this Saturday after all. I got in the van, started it up and radio has zero sound. Controls all work including steering wheel controls but no sound. Tried FM, AM, XM, Nav and Bluetooth. Zip.

Better be an easy fix, I have that trip coming up and I dont plan on driving hours in silence!!

So add broken radio to my above issues. Just turned 3000 miles and its not starting off well.

BTW - we researched a while and found absolutely nothing that would meet our family needs besides the NVP V8 model. 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 big dogs and associated gear plus ability to tow at least 7000#. My Toyota was out of room and payload. Looked at a Ram Cummins Megacab with a cap for the dogs but price and maintenance was not good. Other diesels were smaller with same maintenance issues. Most 1/2T trucks were pushing payload numbers.

Other options. Look for an Excusion. We tried and if they're nice they're insanely expensive. If priced right they need lots of work. 3/4T Burb? Rare and newer ones had a super soft suspension that needed upgraded to eliminate float when hauling.

Sprinter and Transit both don't tow anythig large. Ford E series or Chevy Express vans are ancient and drive and feel like a tugboat on land.

So it's either learn to live with the NVP or change how we do trips... I had considered selling the camper for something smaller and lighter but wife vetoed that idea for now. Kids are young, two are special needs and we need the room.

Edited by ASD Dad

Not surprised you did your research. So many vans and so few choices.

Impossible to foresee the towing issue. A very early post mentioned taking a NV test ride towing a travel trailer. I found that hard to believe... Never mentioned the dealer.

NVP is the right vehicle for you and your family. Hope your radio gets fixed in time.

The radio started working again today...  Didnt work all morning and just went out at lunch and it works perfectly!  

I'm still going in tomorrow to have it looked at and my seat worked on.

Update - Visit with dealership went better than expected and about the same as expected...

Took them an hour after arrival to get my van back into the shop.  After it got back there the tech only took off the side panel of the seat vs. remove the seat cushion to inspect.  I asked why he didnt remove the whole cushion and he stated that would take "hours" and he really didnt see anything wrong from the outside...

Radio worked as I pulled in so they couldnt really test it.

That was the bad news.  The good news is the new service manager was much nicer than the other guy.  He gave me two free oil changes and rotations for the wait and delay in calling me back the first time around.  He also told me the next time the radio acts up I just need to take a cell phone video of what is going on.  I can then email it to him and he can get approval to get the radio swapped out for a new one.

The seat - well we are at a stalemate right now.  He understands my concerns and he even felt the issue.  He thinks it is a design issue vs. flaw with where the seams meet.  He told me Nissan is balking since the entire seat runs them $2700!!  That is due the airbags and everything else built into them.  I asked about just the bottom cushion and he wasnt sure.  He is going to his regional manager to talk to him about options.

The other bad news is that I bought some Katzkin seat covers from a member here in case this all went south.  He told me they work on all the 3500's and after seeing the seat apart I dont believe they work on any power seats.  There are no cutouts or holes for the drivers side controls.  They will work on non-power or the passenger seat.  I think I am going to email Katzkin the part numbers sewn into the covers and ask them.

Sounds like you now have a good service manager to work with. If he hasn't done this, see if he will designate 1 service adviser to work with all NVs. This service adviser could still work with all models, but would be the one you talk to when you bring your NV in. The dealer here has done this, which makes it a whole lot easier when setting up service, dealing with warranty issues or repairs.

If they dont work, ill be interested in them.

Rick.

If they dont work, ill be interested in them.

Rick.

Rick - I emailed Katzkin today.  I have bought from them before and love the quality and fit.  If they end up not working I may see about trying to get a partial credit on ones that due fit, they brand new but are now 6 months old (they were made in Dec '14).

If they dont fit or they wont give me a credit I'll take some photos and let you know.  They are gray and black padded leather built with the airbag cutouts inside.  

ASD DAD,

I never found in your post that you sat in a different NV drivers seat. What did you find?

I just had my Nissan NV3500 SL into Fox Nissan of Grand Rapids.

They replaced an airbag sensor that was bad- in a way that made the airbags non functional.

Had to sign a waiver to leave after the diagnosis. The Air conditioning went out too.

They had the parts in 3 days and scheduled an appointment right away.

The vehicle was there for 1.5days.

The air conditioning lines leaked and needed to be replaced. They were about 7' long and went all the way to the back AC unit.

The gas tank had to be removed to do the job as well. I guess this is a common failure occurrence on the Quest.

Overall I was happy with the service and the dealership, but I am nervous when 36K rolls over on the odometer.

The vehicle has 29K on it now and I just returned from a nice 2500 mile round trip with the family.

The more pressing issue now is the paint. There seems to be orange bleeding spots all over the vehicle that do not wipe off. This looks to be rust from the surface coming out. very small orange dots. The rear hinges have rust in the seams too.

We will see how Nissan will handle this one. The paint on my Z is poor quality too.

Back door catch on the passenger side broke. Back to the dealer on Monday. 100mi round trip. So another 100 when the part comes in.

ASD DAD,

I never found in your post that you sat in a different NV drivers seat. What did you find?

I just had my Nissan NV3500 SL into Fox Nissan of Grand Rapids.

They replaced an airbag sensor that was bad- in a way that made the airbags non functional.

Had to sign a waiver to leave after the diagnosis. The Air conditioning went out too.

They had the parts in 3 days and scheduled an appointment right away.

The vehicle was there for 1.5days.

The air conditioning lines leaked and needed to be replaced. They were about 7' long and went all the way to the back AC unit.

The gas tank had to be removed to do the job as well. I guess this is a common failure occurrence on the Quest.

Overall I was happy with the service and the dealership, but I am nervous when 36K rolls over on the odometer.

The vehicle has 29K on it now and I just returned from a nice 2500 mile round trip with the family.

The more pressing issue now is the paint. There seems to be orange bleeding spots all over the vehicle that do not wipe off. This looks to be rust from the surface coming out. very small orange dots. The rear hinges have rust in the seams too.

We will see how Nissan will handle this one. The paint on my Z is poor quality too.

What’s going on with the paint? I have the same issues with the “micro rust” dots.

Thanks,

Chris