Bobby Tolman

Upfitter Switches

I am curious to know why I purchased a PreWired vehicle if Nissan will not sell me the up-fitter switches for Fog Lamps, Power Converter and other optional equipment. Has anyone successfully purchased factory type switches to go into these locations? 

Should not be in the same section but does anyone have a source for the magnetic part to hold the door back to the side of the van?

x

Edited by Jerry

x

Edited by Jerry

I am curious to know why I purchased a PreWired vehicle if Nissan will not sell me the up-fitter switches for Fog Lamps, Power Converter and other optional equipment. Has anyone successfully purchased factory type switches to go into these locations? 

Should not be in the same section but does anyone have a source for the magnetic part to hold the door back to the side of the van?

For the awesome warranty?

In all seriousness though.  To purchase all that stuff after the fact would be extremely cost ineffective, anything offered on the vehicle new would be available thought "parts" so I'm not sure why you think things aren't.   I've never heard of anyone doing that.  Besides, if you are going to put out the money you should probably go aftermarket.  For example my installer adds a 2000 watt invertor with a factory looking plug for only about $900.

Magnetic part, again call parts.  Is it still under warranty?  Did that piece break?  If so go in and get it covered.

Thank you all for the great information... I have ordered 4 of the switches to put into positions from that Quirkparts.com  Great Stuff!  I have a 4000 watt invertor I am looking to install.. I also picked up some unlabeled switches. I am also looking for that annoying little back door stopper that goes on the side of the van., not sure which is magnetic the one on the back door or the one on the Side of the van.  The little part that goes into the side of the van is broken which released the outside part with the grommet around it.. SO I am looking for the complete assembly.  (thats what happens when you back into someones driveway on ice and slide into a fencepost)    

Hi all,

I know very little about vehicle wiring besides 12 volt systems on the sailboats I grew up with and the commercial fishing boats I worked on (as a fisherwoman, not a marine electrician). So this knowledge is decades old. I'm going to put in an auxiliary battery system in my camper van conversion.

In the body builders guide, they have the upfit prewired with a 50 amp circuit behind the left kick panel, already passed through. I've never had such a luxury, so I don't have to worry about isolators, which I understand are not used nowadays anyway. How do I connect my auxiliary battery to that circuit? Would I need a solenoid in addition to a nice fuse? Do I just attach it and then attach the ground, or is it already grounded?

Or is it too complicated and should I leave this to a professional? In case you're curious, the diagrams on the prewiring for upfitting auxiliary equipment are on pages 155 and 156 of the body builders guide. It looks like it should be a piece of cake. Any input will be quite welcome! Thank you.

Oh, one last question. Where would be the best place to get a DC to DC in vehicle smart battery charger. It doesn't need to be high powered, just enough to run a Dometic fridge, LEDs and charge laptop, tablet and phones. For a permanent install. Thanks again.

Edited by DesertTed

This is how my aux battery is wired.  I've had good luck with CTEC systems.

post-1046-0-76161100-1471872234_thumb.png

KMG, thank you much! I will use the CTEC accessories as they have worked for you and they looks perfect for my set up. My remaining questions for now, are how is your system hooked into the vehicle's electric? When you hooked into the passed through prewiring, how is it actually hooked up? Is it just wire to wire? Do you ground it there? Do I need anything more than the fuse? Is the prewiring hot only when the engine switch is on?

I know this probably super basic information. I can set up the battery bank, the fusebox, inverter and the outlets, et cetera. But I don't know more about this prewiring than I see in the body builders guide. And it has no particulars beyond the fact that it is present.

Hubby feels comfortable having me set up the system, but "I don't want you to break anything in a brand new truck!" I just feel silly going into a shop and asking how to attach one wire.

Thank you once again.

Edited by DesertTed