xavman

OEM Tire Size doesnt match what websites say

May sound weird, and forgive me for the fact that I may use unofficial terms or language, but here it goes:

- My 2012 Nissan NVP3500SV (V8, 5.6L) has LT245/70R17E stock (from the dealer,, bought new).  The manual says to use this same size as does the inside of the door jam.  seems pretty straight forward, right?

- Every tire website or dealer I visit now says that OEM is LT245/75R17E.  Every time I talk to a living person, they reference some book that mentions the right size to be 75 and not the 70. 

So, wtf? Is my car a glitch? Did the wrong crap get thrown onto it out of the factory? is a 75 going to make any real differences? why does all current knowledge call for the 75 when the manual calls for the 70? can i follow the modern 75 recommendation or do I really need to stick to the door jam 70?

2012_NV_Passenger_Owners_Manual.pdf

3500 version comes with 75's. 2500 and 1500 comes with 70's.  

x

Edited by Jerry

X2 what Bates posted.

Edited by KMG

Bates,

Counterpoint here, my 2013 NV 3500 SV Passenger came with 245/70-17E.  I have seen in the Nissan literature where the NV passenger comes with 245/70-17 and the cargo version comes 245/75-17.  The size is clearly stated on the tire placard on my NVP.  I have also noticed that all tire websites indicate that all fullsize NV's use the 245/75-17.  Honestly, the difference between the 245/70-17 and the 245/75-17 is that the 75 is 3.2% larger in diameter, ie. 30.6inch vs. 31.5 inch .

Pete

According to my 2014 dealer NV Lineup brochure the cargo 3500 is the only vehicle that comes standard with the 75 series tires.

All passengers and 1500, 2500 cargos have the 70 series.

This is straight from the 6 page color 2014 10 page flip open comparison guide.

The gvwr on a 3500 cargo is 9900# while a passenger is 9430 on a v8 sl up to 9520 on a v6 3500.

Rick.

Guys,

Take this for what it is worth.  I chose to go with the 75s (Michelin MS2s).  So far no troubles - ride feels better but that could be part imagination.  The wheel well can easily accommodate the extra 1 inch total diameter.  I will say that my speedometer is now MORE accurate (based on GPS devices measuring speed).

I think Bates is right, when restricting oneself to the CARGO.  Looking back, all wheel databases (Tirerack etc) do NOT distinguish between cargo or passenger.  However, because they are identical platforms (excepting interior), this makes me even MORE okay with the upfit to a 75.  Realizing that these cars are cargo-borne bastards, the speedometer mismatch makes all the more sense.  Nissan did not likely recalibrate the speedometer for the passenger 70s.

Pete is right - the size of the placard on the door says 70 for my passenger 3500.  Not sure why Nissan made the 70/75 distinction.  It should have stayed standard to the 75 to accommodate cargo and passenger, 1500/2500/3500.  But like Pete said, and I verified with calculators online, we are talking about 1 inch extra diameter.  That means I ride 1/2 inch higher...no biggy.

So Rick - I hear what the color ad is selling, I just ain't wanting to stay on target.  The 75 offers more weight protection (evidence: 75s are standard on the 3500 Cargo).

My personal suggestion is go to 75s when ready to change out tires.

I agree, 75 series is what I'd run. I always switch to winter tires in the snowy months, and usually to get the best bang for my buck I go to a taller tire. Never, ever, an issue, even going up 4% diameter. Just have to keep in mind the speedo is off.

Luckily cars aren't smart enough to go into limp mode when the wrong size tire is mounted, but I'm sure we will see the day that is a no-no :(.

I went with a 275/70 r18 (33x11), that's with a 2 inch lift. But you can do it, my speedo is about 4mph slow per GPS. Also if you guys look at all the sizes of the tire you like, you can find drastic price differences on tire that are similar but just slightly wider/thinner or taller/shorter. For example when I bought my tires if I would have gotten a 285/65 (more popular choice) it would have been 50 bucks a tire more.

Just looked back over my sales info, indeed the passenger does (at least the 2015 model year) come with 70's. 

I won a few bids for cargo vans that required swapping over the OEM tire to something different so we have quite a few sets of 75's which we've been putting on our trade ins/buy ins irrespective of 1500/2500/3500. If we ever got a used passenger van and it needed tires I doubt we'd hesitate in the slightest to put on the 75's.

There's really not a big difference in either tire. The 75 series will be 12 MM or 7/16 of an inch taller. It won't make much of a difference.

After several years many tire Mfg.'s will stop making many close optional sizes for a given vehicle unless there is a big demand. They will limit their offerings to a single 75 or 70  (240 or 245) series tire & that's all you will have to choose from. If it fits & doesn't rub no worries!

Just make sure if your towing or hauling that weight capacity is adequate.