Sign in to follow this  
Fred Fauth

Seeking Advice: NV Passenger Van + RV for Family of 7?

Hello all,

This is my first time here. And I am brand new to the concept of RV'ing, other than seeing friends do it. My wife and I have 5 kids (ages 10, 10, 10, 9, and 7) - 4 boys and 1 girl. We are considering RV'ing for the next few years to see the country. We are also in a place where we need to replace our 9 year old minivan with a new vehicle in the next year or so.

Our first choice right now is the Nissan NV Passenger 3500 SL. With the 8700 lb. towing capacity, we are thinking that we can tow a pretty big RV that could sleep 7 people. I noticed that you can get an optional Class IV weight-distributing hitch with the SL 3500, and it seems like that is what we would need.

Here is my questions:

1) Does the plan sound reasonable for our situation?

2) What is the maximum dry weight for an RV we should be looking at? Our plan would be to leave 7 seats in the NV passenger van and take out the rest.

3) I noticed that the NV has a tongue weight limit of 870 lbs. Some RVs distribute 12-14% of their weight onto the tongue, so for a 6,000 - 7,000 lb. RV, we could be exceeding the tongue weight. Is the 870 lb. tongue weight an absolute limit? Or is that increased by the weight-distributing class IV hitch? Would it be better to get a non-factory hitch?

4) We would like to take the RV cross-country, which definitely means some mountainous terrain along the way. What is everyone's experience towing that much weight up hills with a car full of 7 people? Will we be OK with this plan or are we not thinking about this the right way?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer. We like the looks of the NV reasonably well enough and its utility seems fantastic for our purposes. If you have experience towing a big RV, I'd love to hear your setup.

Thanks,

Fred

My $.02.... It is fantastic your so concerned about finding a safe setup that will work for your family. Too many people hook what they've got to what they want and never think about a single detail.

That being said.... The NV is a an extremely solid van. Don't think about it too much.... *Most* trailers around 32ft. or less will hold your family and not overload your NV. Even through the mountains. The tounge weight rating is much higher with a weight transfer setup.

Grab an NV, a trailer, and a weight-transferring hitch and see this beautiful country!;)

Are you looking to buy a vehicle around your trailer needs or are you buying a trailer around which vehicle you decide on?  Only one vehicle even comes to mind to consider if you want to pull more than NV can and accommodate your family.  

From what you've said the NV sounds perfect.  For a family of seven you are hard pressed to find a better vehicle to drive on a daily basis.  I do believe you can also find a trailer that the the NV will be well suited to tow for a family of seven.  However that is a matter of opinion coming from someone who only needs a tent when I do long road trips.

Also I will say this.  I would not think twice about crossing the rockies with a "full load" and a large trailer in the NV or pulling the long steep grades in the deserts of the western states under the same conditions with no more than exercising common sense when doing so.  I don't know where you are but that's as tough as it gets for a tow vehicle.   

Thanks so much for these replies!

George - thanks for the encouragement! We definitely want to be safe and think it through - we are planning our trip for Fall of 2016.

Chris - We are planning to buy the vehicle and trailer at roughly the same time - obviously vehicle first so we can haul the trailer when we buy it!  We are currently thinking of buying it in the April to May 2016 time frame so that we can take the trailer on a few short trips before venturing on our cross-country adventure. We don't need the new vehicle just yet, but our minivan is approaching its last legs and as our kids are hitting the pre-teen years, we are hoping to have something bigger for all of us, even for regular around-town driving.

So it sounds like we are on to a reasonably good plan from your advice... that is encouraging as we really like the NV a lot.

Fred

Fred, piece of advice.  Availability on these vehicles is very poor, I believe Nissan was not expecting the demand and niche this vehicle has carved out.  I commonly have to flatbed these vans in from several hundred and at times well over a thousand miles away to obtain the vehicle my customer is looking for.  That situation is the norm and not the exception.

I highly advise you to start looking 4 months out and place an order.  That way you get what you want and don't incur the costs of transportation like so many do.  All of my business customers do this, I WISH my retail one's did as well.  It's a win win for you and the dealership.

Second to what Chris said. Demand is very high and production allocation (still, for some reason) is extremely low. Hopefully this will improve in the future but best not to count on it.

It's even worse in Canada as being the little brother to the USA we get a very small allocation of them so it's a battle to find them.

come out to los angeles, there's well over 100 within 25 miles of me. 

passenger vans have better color choices out here. cargo vans are 90% white. 

Can't find the specs right now, but remember that your trailer will take away from your gcvwr. not sure without looking it up, but a fully loaded maxed out trailer leaves very little weight for the van to carry. or at least carry it legally. commercial enforcement out here is very expensive. 

Rick.

Ditto on having vans shipped. Bought mine from my closest michigan dealership, but it had to be flatbedded from Tennessee or it would have been 4+ months.

1) Does the plan sound reasonable for our situation?

The plan seems totally reasonable, but be prepared to learn a lot of information about vehicle capabilities (GCWR, GVWR, RAWR, FAWR, etc.) and trailer capabilities and repair. When you have 7 people and you travel for an extended period of time you have A LOT of stuff, and that stuff weighs a lot. So be sure to find a trailer that has a high payload/cargo rating. I travel with six people and I have to be careful of what I pack because it adds up quick.

2) What is the maximum dry weight for an RV we should be looking at? Our plan would be to leave 7 seats in the NV passenger van and take out the rest.

IMO 6500-7500 is very doable, but also on the high end of the limit. My trailer (Outback 301BQ) for example weighed 7226 (mfr #s) with a cargo capacity of 1774 for a GVRW of 9000lbs. The dry hitch weight was 760. Currently my trailer weighs in at a porky 8456 with a hitch weight of about 1000lbs (can't find my calculations right now), but I use a WD hitch and per the CAT scale all axles were under thier ratings. So with 1000lbs off the payload that leaves about 1200lbs for people and gear, so for me 250, the wife 130, and kids 24, 50, 65, and 18 that leaves about 660lbs for gear.

3) I noticed that the NV has a tongue weight limit of 870 lbs. Some RVs distribute 12-14% of their weight onto the tongue, so for a 6,000 - 7,000 lb. RV, we could be exceeding the tongue weight. Is the 870 lb. tongue weight an absolute limit? Or is that increased by the weight-distributing class IV hitch? Would it be better to get a non-factory hitch?

The WD hitch doesn't add or subtract the hitch weight, it distributes it onto both axles of the tow vehicle. So the hitch weight isn't as important as it's more of a guide. When you use a WD hitch, you want to use a CAT or other truck scale to get the most accurate picture of the weight you have put of the vehicle. Using the truck scale you can see if the WD is working correctly and that the axles aren't overloaded.

As far as the brand of WD hitch, I would find one that has some type of sway control built into the unit. I use an Equalizer Hitch and have had really good luck with it. I don't think I would buy the one from Nissan as you can find a better unit at a better price if you buy it yourself.

4) We would like to take the RV cross-country, which definitely means some mountainous terrain along the way. What is everyone's experience towing that much weight up hills with a car full of 7 people? Will we be OK with this plan or are we not thinking about this the right way?

It will be fine, but not fast.  When you put that kind of weight on a vehicle you need to have patience. If you want to pull hills all day long at 70 MPH, I would look at the Savanna with the Duramax diesel. I my experience the NV pulls really well and can handle the hills. That being said, the NV is not a Duramax, but it rides and handles a lot better though.

Edited by Tatunka

I'll leave the technical part to others... and address some travel costs that are common to all RVers. If your budget can handle this, you will have no regrets.

35 day cross country trip:

$1008 for fuel (15.33 mpg, no towing, over 5800+ miles)

$ 633 for camping (some sites were free)

Gas and diesel were fairly close in price, gas usually cheaper. (Speaking of diesel, a 10-15 passenger diesel Transit "Wagon" will set you back $40-50+k. Trailer life shows one towing a 20' ultra light trailer. 12+ mpg towing and 24 mpg as a wagon.)

We stayed at state parks, national parks, national monuments and KOAs. Almost every park has gone to a reservation system, which makes it hard to change your agenda. We made no reservations and managed to find spots by stopping early, which also let us explore the area. KOAs are an excellent backup, particularly on weekends. You can make a reservation for that same day, unlike park reservations. You can also do laundry while your children are at the playground or pool. KOAs usually run $30-40+ a night. Their sites are almost always level, state and national parks are almost never level. Pick up a KOA atlas to see where they are on your trip. You can also become a member for $27 and get 10% off each night.

You will need to know where all the NV dealers are in the area you plan to visit. They are often far away and few. My guess is you will be getting oil changes more frequently. If you are comfortable with quick oil change businesses, use them. Other tow vehicles let you use all their dealerships. Not so with NVs. (We noticed on our trip that every small town with a Ford dealership had a least 1 work transit on the lot. Didn't see that many Ram Pro Masters on lots but did see many being "flat bedded" 3 per truck on the highways.)

Buy a copy of Your Guide to the National Parks, published by Stone Road Press. You can get park info off the internet, but this also gives you information about what is in the area. We take ours with us on every trip.

Your kids will love the junior ranger programs.

One last item, stop at all the state visitor centers to pick up a state road map and whatever brochures interest you. There are huge areas in this country where your smart phone will not work. The Nav works fine but does little to help with an overview of where you are and where you are going.

Edited by radin2son

Howdy!  We just bought our NVP 3500 SL last Saturday after three years of drooling.  We LOVE it.    We have five kids and also want to RV.  I think you will be happy with whatever you go with as far as RV - but we are looking at something hybrid and under 6000 lbs.  I'm a newby at towing and don't want something too big.  It's up to your comfort zone.  As far as the NVP - go for it.  You won't be disappointed!

NV is perfect for your application.

We have 7 kids (ages 10 thru 1 month) and tow a Sunset Trail 33BD at 8200# empty. Close to 9000 loaded and no issues.

NVP SL with tow package is a great choice.

We use a Husky Centerline WD hitch (bit of a bear to hook and unhook but no sway, drives and backs beautifully) and Tekonsha P3 brake controller (never know the trailer is there while braking).

9.8 mpg is average for flat towing at 55-60 mph.

8 mpg is common with hilly areas or hitting 70-75 mph.

Perhaps get the NV a bit sooner so it can be broken in before towing.

A few mini trips is very wise - you'll learn lots and still be close to home for the stuff you forget!

Have fun!

come out to los angeles, there's well over 100 within 25 miles of me. 

passenger vans have better color choices out here. cargo vans are 90% white. 

Can't find the specs right now, but remember that your trailer will take away from your gcvwr. not sure without looking it up, but a fully loaded maxed out trailer leaves very little weight for the van to carry. or at least carry it legally. commercial enforcement out here is very expensive. 

Rick.

Thanks for the feedback - have been very carefully considering total GCWR for the van. Looks like with the Class IV hitch it's 16,000 lbs. I think we'll be OK if we get the trailer at 6,000 lbs. dry. The van is 6,000 lbs. We will be removing the back row of seats in the van, and our passenger weight will be about 1,000 lbs. With the trailer + 1,000lbs - 1,500 lbs. of gear, we should still be well within the van's limits.

NV is perfect for your application.

We have 7 kids (ages 10 thru 1 month) and tow a Sunset Trail 33BD at 8200# empty. Close to 9000 loaded and no issues.

NVP SL with tow package is a great choice.

We use a Husky Centerline WD hitch (bit of a bear to hook and unhook but no sway, drives and backs beautifully) and Tekonsha P3 brake controller (never know the trailer is there while braking).

9.8 mpg is average for flat towing at 55-60 mph.

8 mpg is common with hilly areas or hitting 70-75 mph.

Perhaps get the NV a bit sooner so it can be broken in before towing.

A few mini trips is very wise - you'll learn lots and still be close to home for the stuff you forget!

Have fun!

Thanks so much for this. Have you towed through steep grades? Any issues? What speeds were you pulling up hills?

Thanks so much for this. Have you towed through steep grades? Any issues? What speeds were you pulling up hills?

Fred - I pull a 6600# Surveyor SP295 bunkhouse.  32' long, we have 5 of us plus two large dogs and all the stuff to go along with 3 kids.  I use a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch.  Love both items.

I just towed through the mountains of TN, NC and KY and the steepest grades were 7% according to the truck warning signs.  I could maintain 65mph uphill in 3rd gear with the van floored (2015 NVP 3500HD SL V8).  We have the rear row of seats removed for more storage space.  I could definitely not pass anyone but I could maintain speed.

I averaged just over 8mpg over 1000 miles on that trip.  

Howdy!  We just bought our NVP 3500 SL last Saturday after three years of drooling.  We LOVE it.    We have five kids and also want to RV.  I think you will be happy with whatever you go with as far as RV - but we are looking at something hybrid and under 6000 lbs.  I'm a newby at towing and don't want something too big.  It's up to your comfort zone.  As far as the NVP - go for it.  You won't be disappointed!

That's awesome... We are really excited about all of the responses on here. I am going to be looking into ordering our van in the Sept/October timeframe expecting delivery 4 months later...

Please keep us posted on your RV selection as we are gathering ideas and you guys will be facing the same challenges with 7 people total. Right now we are looking for one that has a separate bedroom w/ queen, a 4 bunkhouse in the back, and a sleeper sofa or the like. We have 4 boys and girl, so figuring we can put the 4 boys in the bunkhouse in the back and put the girl in the sleeper sofa.

I have an Outback 301BQ that has four bunks in the front, air matteress sleeper sofa, and a queen slide out in the rear. They discontinued that model in 2014 but there are still some out there.

301QB.jpg

Dang, that's a nice setup. Love the rear door right into the bedroom...

Great topic! We just recently bought a NV3500SL (Java). We only have four kids right now but are hoping for more. I have been blessed to be able to start working from home and my job allows me to be mobile, so we are planning on exploring more of the country. This is a great thread because we want to start camping eventually, and will start with renting a camper to tow. I've never towed a thing in my life before, so we will take it easy at first. Good to know that these vehicles are good at towing. We've only ever had minivans until now, so we've never been able to tow anything of significance, excited to be able to do so.

In a lot of ways, the NV3500 is the ultimate vehicle for our family - we want to be more active and enjoy each other's company and this thing really allows us to live that kind of lifestyle. Feel blessed that a vehicle like this exists and is reasonably affordable (cheaper than a Suburban!)

Greetings!

Here's a pic of our set up. A little distorted cause I needed to take a panoramic picture to capture the long set up :)

We're a family of 7 and absolutely love the van.

We bought the van last summer and the trailer just a few months ago. We've only taken it out on two weekend trips and a few beach trips but we're gearing up to go out for a full week starting this coming Monday.

Can't wait!!!

post-759-0-44265300-1435410308_thumb.jpg

So many great ideas in this thread! Thanks for all the replies. We finally got out to the dealer and I got a quote. I'm going to start a new thread on that.

Hi All,

I just returned from a trip where I encountered a posted 20% hill... It was about a 3 mile stretch going up and gently curving as it went. Fully loaded (overloaded to about 9000# trailer) the van towing our TT had to WORK to get up, but it got there. I started at about 50 mph and ended up at about 30 mph. Tach was steady at about 4000 rpm for most and though I thought it would never up shift, it eventually did after I crested the hill. I never floored-it to see if there was more power to be had, but it felt good enough. No issues on the return trip going down hill (i was worried about the brakes) but the TOW mode kept the engine in a decent gear that I could give the breaks a rest on the way down. I didn't have to put the the transmission into manual and gear down.

Gauges all looked good after the ascent and decent  so I feel confident that it will handle more mountainous terrain with similar poise - just don't expect to maintain 70 mph or 2000 rpm the whole time :)

Safe travels!

We have 6 kids ages 12 down to 2months and traded our Sienna in for a 2015 3500HD SL. We have run upon a great deal on a 2011 Jayco G2 32bhds. We were looking at the Heartland Wilderness before this, but at less then half the cost and almost new condition its hard to pass up the jayco and its in the same town as we live.

My question is the weight and sampsons post have help ease my worries and we will most likely pull the trigger on getting the TT. the trailer dry weight is 8200 and tongue weight is 1055. We will use a WD hitch witch seems like it will cover the tongue weight. I know we will be pushing it and we plan to stay close for the first 2-3 trips(1-2 hours away).

Am I missing anything else with this?

I have already told my wife we will have to stay as light as possible and leave the "kitchen sink" at home.

Edited by Bonedoc05

We have 6 kids ages 12 down to 2months and traded our Sienna in for a 2015 3500HD SL. We have run upon a great deal on a 2011 Jayco G2 32bhds. We were looking at the Heartland Wilderness before this, but at less then half the cost and almost new condition its hard to pass up the jayco and its in the same town as we live.

My question is the weight and sampsons post have help ease my worries and we will most likely pull the trigger on getting the TT. the trailer dry weight is 8200 and tongue weight is 1055. We will use a WD hitch witch seems like it will cover the tongue weight. I know we will be pushing it and we plan to stay close for the first 2-3 trips(1-2 hours away).

Am I missing anything else with this?

I have already told my wife we will have to stay as light as possible and leave the "kitchen sink" at home.

You can check my username for my other posts on pulling campers.  I had a 2010 Surveyor Sport 295 triple bunkhouse and we just got the 2015 Toyhauler in my sig line this summer.  The SP295 was around 5500 lbs dry.  My TH is 6400 lbs dry with a heavy tongue weight due to it being a TH.  

In my opinion and from years of towing that what you have listed, ESPECIALLY with 6 kids, parents and gear in the van - you will be way overweight with that Jayco.  

Will you pull it?  Sure it will move.  I doubt it will pull with any authority especially on hills, I had small issues on hills with my SP295 let alone my new camper.  

You're talking 8200 DRY.  That is zip inside or on the front.  Add a battery, add propane - thats all on the tongue. Even packing light we find we normally take 700 lbs of gear with us and on long trips we have had 1000 lbs of gear which is what the tell you to add on for an estimate.  I have 3 kids and two dogs to pack stuff for, you have 6 kids...  

8200 lbs + 850 lbs of stuff + 150 lbs of propane/battery = 9200 lbs.  Tongue weight should be 10-15% - empty it is 13 % so lets figure 13%-

9200 lbs loaded @ 13% tongue = about 1200 lbs of tongue weight

I know there are several here that pull campers up to 9500#.  Personally I wouldnt do it, it is over spec but to each their own.  I also dont know how many people they are hauling or how much gear is in the van.  I believe we have 16,000 lbs of combined weight as a limit.  That is camper, hitch, gear, van and people all together.

I just found one of my old posts to a similar question.  I am not sure how often you have pulled a camper either.  A person who has pulled for years has a lot more insight to what they are comfortable with vs. somebody brand new.  Our first camper was a small Pop Up...

Here is my old Post, it was too a person who had a 1500 NV but the links are still relevant.  Not trying to scare you off but I also dont want anybody going in blind and thinking things are great.  Pulling a 9500# camper down a flat, straight road is one thing.  Pulling a 9500# camper when Joe Idiot is texting on his phone, cuts you off and you are going 60mph around a corner is a whole different scenario!

===========================

NEVER believe a trailer dealer, they're in business to sell campers not keep people safe.  They tell people with 1/2 T trucks they can easily pull a giant fifth wheel since the manufacturer that makes the camper states its "1/2 Ton towable".  Wrong.

You really want to know what you can tow?  It's not terribly hard it just takes some legwork.  Before I continue I can almost guarantee you wont like the numbers, it just is what it is...

Here is a good link - http://www.learntorv...-can-i-tow.html

Another - http://bamarv.blogsp...eal-towing.html

And a handy calculator - http://changingears....weight-tt.shtml

All those links sum up things way better than what I can type in here.  I can almost promise you that you will be over weight in at least a couple areas.  Your van's payload probably took a hit with the mods that were made.  Plus you have the smaller motor and 1500 chassis.  I honestly dont know what all is different on the 1500 vs. 2500 vs. 3500 models as far as chassis, axle, hubs, etc.  

Since you already own the camper I would take it to get weighed as well and do the 3 weight process to get the total picture.

You want the NV weight.  The NV weight with camper.  NV weight with camper and the WD bars NOT HOOKED, just it sitting on the ball.

http://www.learntorv...cat-scales.html

Trip update...

We took the trailer out for our first trip with no issues. It pulled really well and braking was great and I felt in control the whole time. The guy that installed our WD hitch set the ball 2" lower than it needed to be and I adjusted that before the trip home. We were not loaded down heavy, but had what we needed. Looking forward to another trip out soon and maybe go a bit farther