I'm fitting up my 2015 NV Passenger Van (SV V6) for some camping and overnight sleeping. 

I'll need some air exchange to keep it from getting humid and stale inside. Would like to hear suggestions.

A. I wanted to patch an auxiliary battery onto the vehicle's front blower. I have decided against that because even on the lowest setting, the blower draws about 2.7 amps (32 watts).

B. I found a 2-watt 5-1/2" (140mm) fan on amazon that supposedly moves 100 CFM . Very quiet and efficient.

I wanted to mount it over the cabin-air exhaust grille (left-rear) but I found problems with that. 1. The rubber flaps where the air exits under the vehicle are a bit too stiff for this little fan. It can move enough air, but not if there is resistance. 2. Even if I had a more forceful fan, a lot of the air would probably recirculate back into the vehicle. Grille mounting does not provide a sealed pathway to the exhaust port.

C. So, I am on to Plan C. I plan to install my own dedicated exhaust port under the vehicle…similar to the cabin-air exhaust port mentioned above…but without the heavy flaps. I'll velcro a nylon or aluminum cover over it when I'm not using the overnight fan. The fan will velcro directly to the 5.5" x 5.5" exhaust port. There is room just ahead of the right rear wheel well for just such a cut-out. It's on a vertical surface underneath the vehicle (faces the leaf spring mount). I have already removed the interior wall panel (for other purposes) so I have pretty good access to this area inside the vehicle's left wall.

I know there are a lot of ceiling exhaust fans for RVs, but I want to avoid any visible external hatch because it creates drag and wind noise, and if it was on the roof it would create clearance issues for parking in my garage.

My auxiliary power will be either a Harbor Freight 17 Amp-hour "3-in-1 Jump Start/Power supply" or a 12-volt 12 Amp-hour Li-Ion power supply newly available on amazon.

I'm pretty new to this, so I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Maybe there is a better method I can learn about before cutting a hole in my shiny new Nissan NV!

Call me crazy, but can't you just crack a window?  I use these: http://theskeeterbeater.com/#sthash.0S8U4TMi.dpbsand they work great for much less cost, hassle, and trouble you are going through.

FWIW, any form of hole under your vehicle will collect road spray, debris, and potentially exhaust fumes.  I would NOT trust a velcroed flap...

Skeeterbeaters work well except when windy and can blow off; you can adjust the window on the windward side to prevent this. Reasonable $.

CR Laurence makes awning side windows that also work well; quiet when driving. Expensive.

Look for a 12v plugin, clipon fan that can move the air around. We have one, never used, so I don't know how annoyingly loud it might be. Cheap.

Thank you Mc2guy and Radin2son. I was not aware of skeeterbeaters.

I'll need some mosquito netting in any case.

I like a solution that works well in case of rain, and in case I'm sleeping in less safe area, or an area where sleeping is 'not permitted'.

Edited by cwmacphail

You will need the NV window visors to keep the rain out and the windows slightly open.

Also, skeeterbeaters will scream "camping" if you try stealth camping with these in place.

I had an rv type vent installed in the center of the roof in my cargo. $269,000 installed. I am venting a motorcycle in the cargo area, You can open the vent a couple of inches without rain getting in, works well.

Someone else posted a pic of an exhaust fan mounted in/on one of his rear doors. Don’t quite recall the particulars, but they also wanted to avoid a roof mount. FYI, I installed Fan-tastic vent in my roof and really haven’t noticed an increase in the noise level. It does move a TON of air, however.

Chris, You may be thinking of my van.  I installed a Fan-Tastic exhaust fan to my driver's rear side awning window.