ASD Dad

Bully Dog GT engine tuner - review

Wanted to do a review of the Bully Dog GT and initial impressions... Problem is I cant!  Got the tuner in Friday morning and did all the software updates for 2015 Nissan/Infiniti models.  Went to install it and got an error code that the engine ECU is changed and it couldnt flash my ECU.  I had to call tech support and they needed to download the files off the tuner and send it off to engineering who need to figure out what is different from my ECU vs. others.

Bad part is I called BD prior to ordering one and was told there are no issues at all with running it on the 2015 models.  Wrong.

Bad part part 2 - I bought it for our upcoming trip again this weekend back up into the NC and TN mountains.  If you're read my other posts you know I am looking for some more power out of the 5.6 motor.  The BD is really supposed to help even if it's the simple removal of the throttle restriction when starting off.  BD tech support told me it can take up to 2 weeks to get the files compiled and ready for try #2.  I told them if I dont have them for the trip the unit is going back and they need to waive the restock fees that the retailer may want to add!

So as it stands I've got a nice fancy paperweight.  Tech didnt know why the 2015 files wont work on my made in March 2015 NV but they need to figure it out.  I didnt think there were any changes at all between model years but guess I was definitely wrong.

Should an update happen I'll do a full review.  Otherwise I'll update that I sent it back.  I can say that if you have a 2015 NV 5.6 - do NOT buy a Bully Dog GT tuner!  At least not yet...

Edited by ASD Dad

When folks don't do their homework bad things happen & then they blame the company that made the product.

You, however, seem to have done your homework & someone at the factory lied to you. The mfg should refund your money. Hope they treat you right. Let us know how it turns out.

Funny, I just heard from BD this morning.  They said my compiled file should be added to the 2015 Nissan master file this afternoon and I can download it this evening.  She didnt mention what, if anything, needed to be changed just that their engineers went over the code and were going to add it to the master list.

Should that happen I will install it this evening or tomorrow morning.  BD highly recommends you dont install when they are not open in case any trouble pops up and you cant call in to get help.  The phone tech has been very helpful.  The sales people - not so much!  If I had to guess I would think that Nissan NV sales for a BD unit are less than a single percent of their overall sales and not their main demographic.  While they have supported the Nissan 5.6 motor for many years across platforms the tech told me that there must be something slightly off in the 2015 code that shut down the install.  The tuner actually reads the full ECU engine code before proceeding, took about 15 minutes or so of it scanning.  That is when it threw the initial error that the ECU was not able to be flashed with the current Nissan files loaded.

If it works then future BD owners should have a working 2015 file to use...  

Quick update - Bully Dog came through and got the new files ready for me.  I had to sit on hold for 30 minutes last night due to them being swamped with calls but once with them it was quick and painless to get the new files downloaded and ready to install in the NVP.  Installation went hiccup free even without the recommended battery charger (you have to make sure the battery stays over 12V otherwise it aborts install and can corrupt the vehicle ECU).

I only took it for a quick drive last night with basic settings - lowest HP tune, throttle restriction off, +2* timing advance.  Definitely made a difference.  Off the line difference is huge with the throttle opened up fully now.  I plan on trying out a couple more tunes over the next day or two and then we are towing our camper back to the mountains this weekend.  I am curious if there is any measurable difference when hit that long climb where my NV drops speed.

I'll update more after the trip.

ASD Dad, Thanks for the leg work researching the Bully Dog.  I'm looking forward to your follow up review.

So we are back from the trip and I have tried a few Bully Dog tunes and settings and I am ready for the initial review and data.

First off - I will just lay this out there right now.  If you want more power, especially off the line from a dead stop, dont bother reading any more and just BUY IT NOW!  Yes, it makes that huge of a difference.  It's not even remotely close between stock vs. the BD hooked up. 

Want some numbers, of course you do!  (side note, I live around a ton of farms and no man's land with a 60mph speed limit which is where I did all testing.  I can drive off the main road to many long and straight side roads with nothing in sight)

The Bully Dog has an array of testing built in you can do.  0-100kph, full performance tests, even a drag racing tree for timing if you like.  I did the standard "performance test" which does most everything in one swoop.

All runs were a 5 run average with 89 octane gas and settings shown.  Each run had about a 10 minute cool down as that is how long it takes to change the tune once you stop and change settings and flash the ECU.

Stock:

0-60 - 9.1 average (online shows 9.3 for a '15 SL V8 so BD seems fairly accurate)

1/4 Mile - 17.3 seconds (dead on to online)

BD tune - Regular, Throttle Restriction OFF, Performance Throttle setting, 2 degree timing advance (most popular Titan settings)

0-60 - 7.7 average!!

1/4 Mile - 16.0 second average

BD tune - Performance, Restriction Off, Performance throttle, 2* timing

0-60 - 7.6 average

1/4 Mile - 16 seconds

BD tune - Regular, Off, Stock throttle setting, 2*

0-60 - 7.7

1//4 - 16 sec

The biggest change between all of those is how the van "feels" when driving it.  The Performance throttle setting seems to dip into the throttle more aggressively, but it is not jumpy at all.  Stock throttle feels more linear.  The Performance Tune settings shifts harder and wants to hold the gear a bit longer.  You are supposed to run 89-93 octane on the Performance Tune.  You should also run good 87 at min if advancing the timing to avoid pinging.  From many Titan tests most guys saw no difference in actual performance on the track between tunes which shows in my tests as well.  It does feel different.  Oh - on the Performance Tune I can actually chirp the tires at launch with this big van.  There is an "Extreme" setting that I havent tried yet...  Most users say that is just for fun and not really meant for day to day driving.  

So there are the hard numbers, it knocks nearly 1.5 seconds off the 0-60 which is absurd if you have ever tuned cars or trucks in the past.  Normally that takes a lot of work and money.  I will fully admit 90% of that is the removal of the throttle restriction off the line but that still makes the BD worth it just for that removal!  For a big beast of a van the BD truly transforms it into something that shouldnt pull quite as hard as it does from a stop.  

As for towing my camper - that long grade where I dropped from 65 down to 55?  Not happening.  Easily maintained 65 the whole way up.  On the big 7% gorge section I actually accelerated up the other side passing a semi who was going about 50.  Is it effortless?  Not really, it is still dropping to 3rd on the big hills and spinning hard but it now actually moves vs. just making more noise.  I also noticed on smaller hills it will stay in 4th vs. dropping to 3rd and just sort of lug up the hill.  It isnt bogging but it feels like you're really dipping into the throttle.  

The BD has a full array of gauges from MPG (instant and average), timing, air flow, temps for everything, throttle position, etc...  It will also clear CEL's after telling you what they are for if you get one.  A lot buy the BD just for the gauge display and diagnostics.

MPG is supposed to increase slightly but I've only had it towing for the most part.  I do plan on monitoring it but I am not expecting much if anything.  I did get 9mpg on the way home which is the highest ever for me towing.  Going up I had the normal 8.5 or so.  

So there you have it.  Feel free to ask any questions and I will be sure to try and get an answer for you.  Installation is pretty painless, took about an hour routing the wires but you dont need to mount it, you can flash the ECU and then stick it in your glove box.  You lose all the great gauges though!

This is way beyond my comprehension, not due to the way you presented it. Well done.

Your description reminded me of that ill fated Hemi Dodge stationwagon ad when the driver was asked "what you got in that?" The driver said something about plywood etc. In your case you or your wife can say, "3 kids, 2 dogs."

More power to you (pun intended).

Edited by radin2son

Thanks for the review !

I was more interested in the mpg aspect. Doesn't appear that it makes a significant difference. I frequently pull a 16 ft 7000 lb trailer for work. If it would improve mpg by to 2 or 3 it might have been worth a closer look for me.

I only tow on flat ground, no mountains, so increased power isn't an issue for me.

Thanks for the review !

I was more interested in the mpg aspect. Doesn't appear that it makes a significant difference. I frequently pull a 16 ft 7000 lb trailer for work. If it would improve mpg by to 2 or 3 it might have been worth a closer look for me.

I only tow on flat ground, no mountains, so increased power isn't an issue for me.

I'll be doing more MPG testing soon, especially since school is starting back up for my boys.  My wife takes two to her school now and I'll take our little guy to his new school.  Between that and their therapy sessions I will have a very routine drive daily to really see if MPG changes.

There were Titan and Armada owners who saw increases but they also had other mods done - intake, exhaust and even headers.  The return on investment would never pay out if you jumped in that deep!  For me the BD is worth it just for the way it drives now, I like it so much better over stock.

ASD Dad Do you only have the tuner or do you have any other mods done?  Intake, exhaust?

Thanks

ASD Dad Do you only have the tuner or do you have any other mods done?  Intake, exhaust?

Thanks

Tuner only right now.  I had the Airaid MXP intake prior and I have a review on that as well.  I also have a DIY on how to mod the stock airbox to open it up better.  These are all Titan/Armada mods and parts.  Some fit exact, some need slight mods to make it fit (like the intake).

Intake was nice but too loud when towing.  That is also why I wont be doing headers or exhaust work.  I've got little ones and we do 10+ hour towing trips so need it somewhat quiet!  

Quick update - no MPG changes with the tuner.  At least not for me.  Some tanks are a bit better but then one will go back down.  I wouldnt buy it for MPG unless you really wanted to tweak it and follow the "Driving Coach" to the letter.  The Coach just basically tells you when you are speeding up or slowing down too aggressively so it's common sense it just graphed out for you!

I would still recommend it if you want some more power from your NV and what I feel is a much nicer driving experience.  I didnt drop any MPG at all but yet I have 100% better throttle response and measurable power gains.  For me it is completely worth it with no regrets.  I even tuned it back to totally stock for a day to see if I would notice a difference and I hated it!  I didnt make it longer than that day before I retuned it...  

@ASD Dad did you install the BD GT Platinum Gas (40417)? Want to make sure I get what you have. I tow a 30' Genesis Toyhauler so far approx 7500lbs. Does good in the hills but the long steep grades wants to slow to 45mph unless I'm really getting after it. It sounds as if this unit will help greatly. I plan to be nearly fully loaded soon (9500 lbs) and want to make sure I have the power.

Does this void your factory warranty?

http://50.6.73.68/picit/1440482419.6325.iPicit.jpg

@ASD Dad did you install the BD GT Platinum Gas (40417)? Want to make sure I get what you have. I tow a 30' Genesis Toyhauler so far approx 7500lbs. Does good in the hills but the long steep grades wants to slow to 45mph unless I'm really getting after it. It sounds as if this unit will help greatly. I plan to be nearly fully loaded soon (9500 lbs) and want to make sure I have the power.

Does this void your factory warranty?

http://50.6.73.68/picit/1440482419.6325.iPicit.jpg

Great looking TH!  We love our new Toyhauler so far.

Yes, I have the 40417.  It is the 49 state legal model and is a lot less money vs. the CA legal model.  They had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it certified for use in CA so that is the reason for the higher price on the other model.

I bought mine on Amazon.  If you watch it constantly on there you will see it fluctuate in price quite a bit.  I've seen as low as $325 to as high as $425.  I picked up mine for $335.

Installation/flashing was easy as was the actual mounting installation.  The first install took a while due to the new file needing to be modified by Bully Dog and sent back to me.  I would not be surprised at all if you will need to do the same but at least they have the 2015 file on hand now!  The first install took about 15-20 minutes I would guess as it has to scan the entire ECU the first time it is installed to make sure it is compatible.  After that changing tunes only takes 10 minutes max.  Just follow the directions and it should go smoothly.  Feel free to ask me any questions on settings or install!

Warranty - yes and no.  My local NV dealer actually recommended the BD to me.  He told me most of their Titan owners that were contractors had them for towing their trailers.  They cant void the warranty for just having the tuner installed.  They need to prove that if something does go wrong it was the fault of the tuner.  That being said, you must ALWAYS flash the ECU back to stock when taking your van in for service.  The reason is that there could be a small change, update or recall done that requires flashing the ECU while at the dealer.  They will have no issue at all doing that BUT when you try to use the BD again it will no longer recognize the ECU and it will not work unless you get the BD reflashed.  That costs I think $250!  They do it so you cant share the BD with others, the BD basically locks itself to your ECU from when it first scanned it.  If anything changes it thinks there is a new ECU and locks itself.  You can reinstall it after a flash from the dealer if it was stock, it locks to your VIN# that it scans.

That was long winded but basically - YES on that model.  NO it shouldnt void your warranty unless you do something silly (like tow with 85 octane while in Extreme mode).

Edited by ASD Dad

My BD comes in tomorrow. I'm a bit excited and nervous. I don't want to ruin my brand new vehicle by pressing a wrong button or something silly.

My BD comes in tomorrow. I'm a bit excited and nervous. I don't want to ruin my brand new vehicle by pressing a wrong button or something silly.

Just follow the instructions.  Update it first on your computer.  Make sure your battery is nice and charged in the van.  Turn off things like the radio, climate control, etc that would drain the battery since you will be sitting there for a while the first time.  

When you update it the tuner will download the files needed.  Hopefully they added my 2015 file, if not you will get an error code on the tuner when it is done scanning the ECU the first time.

Only install when they are open in tech support.  They are NOT open on weekends.  They are extremely helpful on the phone but you could be on hold a while.  

When the tuner is flashing the ECU your engine cooling fan will turn on full blast.  That freaked me out the first time but it is normal!

You can do things like change the timing, idle, red line, etc on the fly - meaning you dont have to flash again - but ONLY once the engine is warmed up.

There will be way more menu's and customization then you can think of.  You really need to just sit and play with it a while to get it laid out the way you like it.  I have mine with MPG, timing, air flow and actual trans temp showing on my screen.

For your first flash this is my recommendation.  It is the one most used by the Titan/Armada group and my favorite as well.

WOT Throttle Restriction - OFF - this alone makes the price worthwhile!

Tune - Regular

Throttle - Performance

Timing - +2

You can tow with that and daily drive.  Run good 87 octane or above and no issues will surface.  

The first time you really get on it from a dead stop you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.  It really turns this big box of a vehicle into something much livelier than it should be!

Forgot to add - if you plan on installing it off the fuse box so it turns off with the vehicle I used the 20A fuse used for the lighter plugs and chargers.  The little fuse tap doesnt fit the micro fuses we have so I made my own just clipping apart a small tap until it fit.  You could honestly just strip the wire bare and install it around one leg of the fuse.  I have mine mounted on the left side of the dash, it was super easy to run the cable under the door weatherstrip, you will have a ton left over to bundle up and tuck under the dash.

Edited by ASD Dad

MPG update - I got bored after my last fill up so I wanted to drive around our local roads and follow the Driving Coach to the letter.  You basically drive like a snail in accelerating and braking, coast a lot, etc.  I was pretty much hyper-miling a big box of a van.  Found out speeds of about 45mpg and RPMs at 1500 are fantastic for MPG.  I drove 40 miles like that just checking out the local horse farms and lakes and I managed to average 18.1 MPG!!  

Definitely not doable on a day to day basis but it was fun to try.  

This was a awesome read ASD Dad, Thanks for sharing.  I am looking to buy one too.

This was a awesome read ASD Dad, Thanks for sharing. I am looking to buy one too.

I think you'll love it if you want some more "go" from the van. Ksh above bought one and I helped him set it up. He just towed a large camper with it and liked it a lot, especially off the line. It's even more dramatic without towing, he was surprised with the change. I'm trying to get him to post up a review on here!

Btw, my MPG seems to have gained about 1/2 to 1 better than my normal. I'm averaging around 15.5 now with mixed driving. I've found monitoring the BD my foot is better than cruise control even keeping the same average speed. It's nice to have instant feedback at all times of any number of things.

Edited by ASD Dad

My review won't be nearly as good as asd dad's. So I installed the bully dog programming in my NV. Although asd dad had the custom file made by bd, they had to make a new one specific to my van. No big deal, just had to wait a few days. After getting the new file I installed the program and took the van for the first drive. I COULD NOT believe the difference. Now keep in mind this is a big van so it didn't turn into a Tesla but wow did it change. The responsiveness of the throttle at take off, and the fact that I now have access to 100% throttle at low speeds is amazing. It changed the whole feel of the van. The real test was a week later when I towed our 30' toy hauler, with Can Am Commander max inside. Also a full van of kids and gear from 1500 ft elevation to northern Arizona at 7000 ft elevation. I estimate my trailer weight at approximately 9500 pounds. The big hills I comfortably held 45-55 mph. Flat ground was no issue running 70 mph. Might I add I do not like running the cruise control while towing for two reasons. 1- it allows for too much buffer under and over the set speed. 2- I swear it is secretly trying to blow my van up! It likes to run at 5500-6500 rpm. Not comfortable with that. As far as mpg goes I did not do the permanent install of the unit yet so I did the math manually. I averaged 7.8 mpg. Up from 7.0 without Commander in toy hauler. So a slight increase with added weight.

So there you have it. I would recommend that everyone gets one!

Thanks for chiming in Ksh74c!  The difference it makes is truly shocking off the line.  It's like a totally different van from stock.  I am dreading putting it back to stock for my upcoming dealer service visit!

Sweet! Thanks for sharing the news and reviews!

I have a new one for sale f anyone wants to buy it. When I moved last year the movers accidentally packed it... so I had to buy a second one to install. It’s new in the box. PM me if interested.

On 8/11/2015 at 2:47 PM, ASD Dad said:

So we are back from the trip and I have tried a few Bully Dog tunes and settings and I am ready for the initial review and data.

First off - I will just lay this out there right now.  If you want more power, especially off the line from a dead stop, dont bother reading any more and just BUY IT NOW!  Yes, it makes that huge of a difference.  It's not even remotely close between stock vs. the BD hooked up. 

Want some numbers, of course you do!  (side note, I live around a ton of farms and no man's land with a 60mph speed limit which is where I did all testing.  I can drive off the main road to many long and straight side roads with nothing in sight)

The Bully Dog has an array of testing built in you can do.  0-100kph, full performance tests, even a drag racing tree for timing if you like.  I did the standard "performance test" which does most everything in one swoop.

All runs were a 5 run average with 89 octane gas and settings shown.  Each run had about a 10 minute cool down as that is how long it takes to change the tune once you stop and change settings and flash the ECU.

Stock:

0-60 - 9.1 average (online shows 9.3 for a '15 SL V8 so BD seems fairly accurate)

1/4 Mile - 17.3 seconds (dead on to online)

BD tune - Regular, Throttle Restriction OFF, Performance Throttle setting, 2 degree timing advance (most popular Titan settings)

0-60 - 7.7 average!!

1/4 Mile - 16.0 second average

BD tune - Performance, Restriction Off, Performance throttle, 2* timing

0-60 - 7.6 average

1/4 Mile - 16 seconds

BD tune - Regular, Off, Stock throttle setting, 2*

0-60 - 7.7

1//4 - 16 sec

The biggest change between all of those is how the van "feels" when driving it.  The Performance throttle setting seems to dip into the throttle more aggressively, but it is not jumpy at all.  Stock throttle feels more linear.  The Performance Tune settings shifts harder and wants to hold the gear a bit longer.  You are supposed to run 89-93 octane on the Performance Tune.  You should also run good 87 at min if advancing the timing to avoid pinging.  From many Titan tests most guys saw no difference in actual performance on the track between tunes which shows in my tests as well.  It does feel different.  Oh - on the Performance Tune I can actually chirp the tires at launch with this big van.  There is an "Extreme" setting that I havent tried yet...  Most users say that is just for fun and not really meant for day to day driving.  

So there are the hard numbers, it knocks nearly 1.5 seconds off the 0-60 which is absurd if you have ever tuned cars or trucks in the past.  Normally that takes a lot of work and money.  I will fully admit 90% of that is the removal of the throttle restriction off the line but that still makes the BD worth it just for that removal!  For a big beast of a van the BD truly transforms it into something that shouldnt pull quite as hard as it does from a stop.  

As for towing my camper - that long grade where I dropped from 65 down to 55?  Not happening.  Easily maintained 65 the whole way up.  On the big 7% gorge section I actually accelerated up the other side passing a semi who was going about 50.  Is it effortless?  Not really, it is still dropping to 3rd on the big hills and spinning hard but it now actually moves vs. just making more noise.  I also noticed on smaller hills it will stay in 4th vs. dropping to 3rd and just sort of lug up the hill.  It isnt bogging but it feels like you're really dipping into the throttle.  

The BD has a full array of gauges from MPG (instant and average), timing, air flow, temps for everything, throttle position, etc...  It will also clear CEL's after telling you what they are for if you get one.  A lot buy the BD just for the gauge display and diagnostics.

MPG is supposed to increase slightly but I've only had it towing for the most part.  I do plan on monitoring it but I am not expecting much if anything.  I did get 9mpg on the way home which is the highest ever for me towing.  Going up I had the normal 8.5 or so.  

So there you have it.  Feel free to ask any questions and I will be sure to try and get an answer for you.  Installation is pretty painless, took about an hour routing the wires but you dont need to mount it, you can flash the ECU and then stick it in your glove box.  You lose all the great gauges though!

I pull a camper with the 16 model nv 3500 sl. Do you use the factory tow mode with the tuner?