Sign in to follow this  
kodos

Review of the NV3500SL

Enjoyed your review. I agree that Nissan didn't foresee the non-business direction of NVs. I also wonder if they are building enough NVPs.

Given the size of new trucks, builders of new homes still don't get it. (Actually, they may get it. In a nearby expanding development, the garage door opening is about 8', more than high enough for a NV. A NVP in the older section had to sit in the drive along with neighbors trucks. Since most AZ homes do not have basements or attics, this builder has added a huge space for storage in the garage. The right slot will only handle a car, but the left side is more than long enough for NVs and storage/shop. Now, the only issue is the door mechanism.)

Our converted NV just fits in our carport, one of the reasons we bought it over a Ford E-series or Sprinter. I doubt the new Transit would fit as well.

Edited by radin2son

Great blog post - really enjoyed it and laughed at the "Canyonero" reference. If only it had 4x4, I think it would be the perfect comparison! One thing that I haven't seen addressed much in reviews is the amount of cargo space behind the back seats... can you get a grocery trip in there without taking seats out? How about strollers, a couple of suitcases, etc.?

Enjoyed your review. I agree that Nissan didn't foresee the non-business direction of NVs. I also wonder if they are building enough NVPs.

Given the size of new trucks, builders of new homes still don't get it. (Actually, they may get it. In a nearby expanding development, the garage door opening is about 8', more than high enough for a NV. A NVP in the older section had to sit in the drive along with neighbors trucks. Since most AZ homes do not have basements or attics, this builder has added a huge space for storage in the garage. The right slot will only handle a car, but the left side is more than long enough for NVs and storage/shop. Now, the only issue is the door mechanism.)

Our converted NV just fits in our carport, one of the reasons we bought it over a Ford E-series or Sprinter. I doubt the new Transit would fit as well.

We have a tandem spot in the left slot of our garage. More than long enough for the NV. But the height of the door is the problem. Our right door only can hold a single car. We have to keep the NV in our driveway unfortunately in the hot Texas sun. Fortunately our house shades the van in the hottest part of the day, and we have the windows tinted. The Transit won't fit either because of height. And the Sprinter is definitely out!

Great blog post - really enjoyed it and laughed at the "Canyonero" reference. If only it had 4x4, I think it would be the perfect comparison! One thing that I haven't seen addressed much in reviews is the amount of cargo space behind the back seats... can you get a grocery trip in there without taking seats out? How about strollers, a couple of suitcases, etc.?

I can fit a suitcase behind the last row of the vehicle. However, it isn't good for grocery trips or strollers without taking two of the seats in the back out. Our van is being used as a 10 passenger van right now with the two seats out. With those seats out there is still more than enough room for our family. If we need to take 12 people and cargo, we'd need a small trailer.

Thanks kodos! I actually bought one over the weekend (influenced by your review, so thanks!) and I think your assessment was spot on - you can definitely fit a few suitcases back there, so it isn't completely devoid of space. However, a big grocery trip would mean either taking those 2 seats out or getting creative with the use of floor space around the seats up front. We're going to try it with all seats in for a while and see how it goes.