Sign in to follow this  
CarlS1973

When will 2016 NVP be available?

I'm actively shopping for a NVP SL V8 (large family use), but it is getting so close to the end of the year, that I'm thinking that it might be best to wait for 2 reasons: 1) the rebate on 2015s could get higher as they try to clear them out, and 2) I'd be really disappointed if I bought a 2015 and the 2016 came out with some great new features.

Anyone have any insight into the launch date for 2016? New features?

Thanks!

IIRC, the 2015s came out beginning of this calendar year...unlike most cars that come out in the fall of the previous calendar year.

It's a gamble, IMO, if they will sell out before you get higher rebates, if they will even give higher rebates. Last month and this month were both $500 back.

I'd be interested in hearing if any major changes will be coming.

The dealer we're buying from has a new 2014 SL still in stock, because the 2015 improved the technology package, and people just started buying the 2015s instead.

That's good to know on the availability at the beginning of the year... I'm used to cars that start launching their 2016 models in September-ish of the previous year. So if I decide to wait, it may well be January before I buy a 2016.

It would be ideal to find out what, if anything, will be new on the 2016 models ASAP. It seems like people still aren't happy with the technology package on the 2015 - that's one thing I thought might change. And of course, there might be fixes to some issues like the beeping sensors and door locking that I've seen mentioned multiple times on this forum. I can dream about 4x4 too, right? :)

My brother is ready to put a deposit down on an NVP the second they announce that the 5l Cummins from the Titan is getting plopped into them. And mine could be put up for sale then also if the diesel price premium is something I can stomach. Probably unlikely tho....

Do it, Nissan!!

Have they even released pricing for the Cummins Titan?  I am curious what the premium will be.  Between that, higher fuel costs and much higher maintenance costs it will be a tough choice but one that I plan on visiting if it happens!

You'll wait four to five months for a 2016.  No major changes (we would have heard something).  Maybe just re content packages.

Diesel will never happen.  When discussed at the factory in Mississippi and then subsequently discussed here on the forum a diesel in this van would carry a 10-15k up charge.  An extended wheelbase and a cab chassis are way higher on the list of possibilities than a diesel.  And let's face it, NVP is a teeny tiny portion of NV sales.  For a diesel to be profitable they would have to move a ton of them to business owners.  A 40-45k NV would lose it's appeal to 90% of customers right when they heard the price.

Trucktrend.com will be putting together an article on 2016 trucks and vans well before the 2016 NV is available. If Nissan is into the 5 year model life like Honda and Toyota is/was, it will be 2017 before there are major changes. If they stick with the original Titan plan, it will be 2024...

Regarding the tech package, I would expect the current package to become standard for SV and/or SL with the option becoming Apple or Android. Still car based, unless Nissan Commercial gets serious?

Personally, I like long model life with minor improvements. I also like the fact that there have been no major issues related to buying the first model year.

I'm surprised NVP is only tiny % of sales.

They don't make enough.  I would estimate sales of cargo vs passenger is 20-1.  That's a great thing for you guys as customers but bad for me as a dealer.  For you guys, sure you pay a little more because there's not really any major incentives or as much wiggle room in pricing, but your resale is through the roof!

And now my brother hates chris_commercial.....

Back to the "new" Titan. Do you really think Nissan would let a new and improved 2016 NV rain on Titan's parade? What a concept...

I'd buy the 2015 an upgrade the nav unit on my own.

I'm shocked at the resale values - I've been looking for over a month at every single NVP that comes up on eBay or through CarGurus.com. I started out hoping to find a 2013 NVP SL with about 30k miles for under $30k, and I rarely see one under $34-35k. There just isn't much savings to be had over buying a new one.

I do wonder if the resale will change at all now that Ford Transit has come along as a viable alternative (I know it is inferior in many ways, but it is much more price competitive than the Sprinter and much more modern than prior Ford/Chevy options - and there are some good things to say about it - it does have the longer wheelbase options, better mpg, etc.).

Chris when have you heard production starting for 2016's? We heard it was starting in October this year instead of the usual January. Was told that 2015 ordering is done by our NV corporate type. Cdn versus US prod?

No word on any changes up here in Canuckistan too. Betting it'll be almost identical versus years past.

Doubtful that diesel will flow over to NV.

The XD is going to attract a ton of attention so doubtful anything released near it will garner much attention. NV or otherwise.

Chris when have you heard production starting for 2016's? We heard it was starting in October this year instead of the usual January. Was told that 2015 ordering is done by our NV corporate type. Cdn versus US prod?

No word on any changes up here in Canuckistan too. Betting it'll be almost identical versus years past.

Doubtful that diesel will flow over to NV.

The XD is going to attract a ton of attention so doubtful anything released near it will garner much attention. NV or otherwise.

Honestly I haven't asked.  Really just a non event because there are no changes.  I'll ask my rep on monday and see what he says.

To carl, please remember too.  This is a commercial vehicle.  What I mean by that is your typical honda accord or or toyota sienna that is a rough product life of 125-175k before major repairs.......Your vehicles have double that life span.  30k on a commercial product is nothing.  Add that to the lack of incentives and high demand.  Heck ya, resale is through the roof.  I wouldn't dare bring a used NVP inventory into inventory.  How would I sell it?  I've not seen one in almost a year now at my dealership.  Even the cargo and NV200 resale is sky high.  I've taken in one NV200 and 3 NV cargo's.  Prices are too high on them for me to put them next to a new van.  One of the used NV's was a 3500NV, 290k.  I payed 9500, sent it to auction and made a small amount.  Holy Cow!!

We had a similar experience when we bought our 2015 NV2500. The dealer initially tried to sell us on a 2013 NV2500 with 45k miles for around $28k. We made it clear we weren't interested in buying used, especially since the price difference between a 2+ years old vehicle and a brand new one was less than $5k.

Reading everything above about resale value I feel really good about having gotten a 2015 NV2500 High Roof V6 with Technology Package and Glass Package for $32.5K out the door including taxes and fees. I doubt we are going to sell it within the next 5 years since we'll be converting it to camper van and plan to be on the road for the next few years, but even if we do, it's good to know we'll get good money for it. 

FWIW, the 2015 technology package is the improved one, it was 2014 that had issues. I haven't heard of any problems with the 2015s.

I wanted to get a bargain and get used. There were no bargains. Used was about the same as new (no rebates, etc). I found one that was reasonable and it went as soon as I blinked my eyes (not surprisingly).

They don't make enough.  I would estimate sales of cargo vs passenger is 20-1.  That's a great thing for you guys as customers but bad for me as a dealer.  For you guys, sure you pay a little more because there's not really any major incentives or as much wiggle room in pricing, but your resale is through the roof!

According to this video, you might be the only one selling cargos at that rate. That video states that the Van Industry as a whole is selling 23.2% to families and 76.8% to fleets whereas Nissan NV is selling 88.9% to families and 11.1% to fleets. I think the families that are buying these are going to be driving what options are available, not the fleet buyers. And remember these are the same families that are squeezing into $75,000 Suburban LTZs, $55,000 Armadas, $70,000 Expeditions, and $70,000 pickups. Families will pay for a van like this, the demand is out there and Nissan has proven it.

And if Nissan doesn't at least offer the diesel in the NV they are crazy, it's already been engineered and setup for it. All of the dash lights are there, buttons are there, axle is there, the engine mounts are there, it's just missing the engine. Same with 4WD. And there is a lot of people that tow that have families bigger than five and need something that can tow, the 5.6 does a great job but a diesel would be awesome, and haul people and right now Nissan is the only one listening to that need for families. They seemingly surprised themselves with a winner of a vehicle for the family segment. If Nissan comes out with the Cummins in the 2016 or 17 NV, I will be ordering one.

Edited by Tatunka

Looks like 2016 Cargo will be available starting in October. That's when we are promised to receive our NV2500 High Roof. (disclaimer: doesn't seem to be the most competent or customer friendly dealership, so take this info with a grain of salt)