dslavin123

Miles per Gallon for 2500 v6 low roof and high roof

Hello

I am interested in purchasing a NIssan NV Cargo 2500 SV v6 or v8

I will not be carrying a heavy load.. I just need the space

I am hoping someone can give me an estimate on the  MPG for the following vehicle  for HWY and City

• 2500 sv low roof v6
  • 2500 sv high roof v6
  • 2500 sv low roof v8
  • 2500 sv high roof v8

Thank you for you  help 

David

I haven't seen anyone post city/hwy mileage.

MPG for V8s high tops vary from terrible to (?). For V8 low tops it probably works out to 14+ mpg.

Axulsuv gets 21+ mpg with his V6 low top while a V6 high top camper conversion can get 17+ mpg.

With our V8 camper conversion, we average 15+ mpg for a trip but can get 17+ mpg per tank.

I'm not sure where in California you're located, but I can tell you over the last 7 years, my average miles per hour is 12.5 mph.  Los Angeles came in 2nd, behind D,C for the worst traffic congestion in America. 4 of the top 5 were in Calif. 

Rick.

I have a lightly loaded Cargo HT 2500, 6 cyl. Last 8-10 tanks I’ve averaged 13/14 MPG combined. Maybe 60/70% city. No hills - SE Michigan is flat.

Hello

I am interested in purchasing a NIssan NV Cargo 2500 SV v6 or v8

I will not be carrying a heavy load.. I just need the space

I am hoping someone can give me an estimate on the  MPG for the following vehicle  for HWY and City

• 2500 sv low roof v6
  • 2500 sv high roof v6
  • 2500 sv low roof v8
  • 2500 sv high roof v8

Thank you for you  help 

David

If your not carrying a heavy load why are you considering the 8?

If your not carrying a heavy load why are you considering the 8?

For me it's because I want the V8 power when needed (trust me you will need it!) and the V6 fuel saving isn't great enough.

I agree with KMG.

My 2012 high roof with V-8 consistently gives a minimum 15 mpg and that is with rolling hills, a roof rack and AC unit up top, and running boards down below (basically a lot of drag). Also weigh in at 8200 lb after the conversion.

Glad to have the V-8 every time I ramp on to the interstate.

I am beginning to think my engine is a dud on power.  I have a basic, no rack, no running board, no anything 3500SL V8 and I am lucky to get 15 consistently.  Lately it's been in the mid to high 14's and that is fairly flat, pretty easy going roads at easy speeds of 45-55mph.  

wollip has a high roof, AC unit, ton of drag and heavy weight van getting better mileage.  Others on here are towing way heavier trailers than mine and claim they have zero issues on hills where mine really bogged down prior to the tuner.  

I dont drive like an idiot either, I always beat the stated MPG on past vehicles fairly easily.  I was getting 18mpg mixed consistently on my Tundra V8.

This not directed at anyone, but it is human nature not to want to have paid more for a NV, or in the case of mpg get fewer mpg, than someone else. In the case of 2012 models, our NVs do the truth stretching for us. The computer mpg calculation will be 1+ mpg better than if we do the math ourselves.

It also seems to be all about location, location. In our travels, we get better mpg in the drier, higher west than in the east. I keep a gas log of fill ups that includes location and mpg among other things that are related to trip costs. Higher mpg almost always matches up with fill ups in the west. The exceptions are usually related to strong headwinds, heat and steep mountain passes.

ASD Dad, Have you tried driving your NVP empty, then with it loaded to the max with all the external variables about the same. I bet your mpg will remain 14+ mpg, empty or loaded. Unlike the Tundra, you have a vehicle that meets your current needs...

I'm going to keep a similar fuel log during my upcoming 5,600 mile trip with a good mix of speed and topography.  I'll report my results.

Thx for all the input. I am still a bit confused as what to do.. I really do not need the high roof.. but it may come in handy a few times

I was told the High roof only gets a few mpg less than the low roof..

Any thoughts?

thx

I just tell it like it is.  I would rather be pessimistic about performance and get surprised vs. hope I get "X" and get less.  I was pessimistic about the tuner, they normally dont do much if anything for a gas motor unless you have done a lot of other mods like headers, full exhaust, cams, etc.  The Bully Dog was a pleasant surprise but it has a loyal following for the Titan/Armada crew so I bit and happy I did.

I hand calc every tank.  Doesnt take long once I am done filling.  So far the readout on the tuner matches but it rounds up or down to nearest full MPG.  My best in normal driving is around the low 15's.  That is rare.  I had a few tanks in the mid to high 13's.  Now that my daily routine is pretty normal again with school open I am settling in around the mid 14's.  

I honestly am not going to worry about 1mpg either way.  It's a monster sized van.  All the kids love it when they are walking by during school pickups.  They all point, stare and make comments about it being a huge car when they walk by.  Pretty amusing.  I do get bugged when I read about others who seem to be having a much better time of things with their van.  I've been trying to eek out some extra MPG lately just out of boredom on the drive and it just isnt happening.  The tuner shows instant MPG based off injectors, throttle position, MAF, etc.  You can literally cruise along with your foot off the gas and it will read 35 MPG at say 50mph as you're coasting.  The SECOND your foot touches the gas to even open the throttle - it will drop to around 10-12mpg.  Instantly.  I am not talking about accelerating or going up a hill, this is just to maintain speed on flat roads.  It's a balance between 10mpg on gas to 30mpg coasting.  Getting on an highway at full throttle to merge will get you 2mpg!  Just going up a good hill will drop down to 6-7mpg.  

radin2son - I agree the mileage wont really change much with more weight unless you live in a hilly area.  You never gain back going down hills what you use going up.  The van is here to stay (unless the Cummins arrives) and it is what it is.  A big box that meets the needs of our family.  Thankfully we live in one of the cheapest gas states in the country.  Filled up at $1.86 the other day!

BTW - I am still looking at adding a roof rack and I fully expect to lose 1mpg or more.  It happened with past vehicles, dont see why it wont with this one.  

ASD Dad, I'm not surprised you "hand calc" mpg. Most of us do.

dslavin123, consider what Chris_cm said. Go with the V6, standard roof, hitch and Uhaul if you need more room. Or, go with the V8 and included tow package. The price between the V6 and V8 is not that much and probably improves resale later on. This is not my quote; rather it was a post on expedition portal: "There will be a time when you say, I should have had a V8."

You guys are getting better than 2x the mpg im getting. Still trying to hit 200 miles with 25 gallon fillups. dont know if its the weight, traffic, fresh motor under 4,000 miles or I got a lemon on everything in the van.

How does a dealer test or compare mpg when I bring it in? Is there a minimum number that they feel is an issue?

If weight is not a factor, then what is it? Do I need to drive in the middle of the night when there's not a car on the road and see how it compares? Do I need to let the engine get more miles and see if the mpg goes up? Do I need to enmpty out everything in the van and see if the weight is a factor.

Our fuel prices are about the highest in the country and at under 8mpg, it cost me 50-60 cents a mile just in fuel.

Rick.

Rick, I'm also wondering how people get such good mileage. I get 9mpg in all city and 11mpg with a mix of city/hwy and I drive like a granny!! Something doesn't add up. For example, when driving all city- 95 liters (25.1 Gal) will get me 375km (233miles). That's 9.28 US MPG. Are people perhaps estimating Imperial MPG which would be 11.15mpg? I have v8 3500 passenger. By the way, I'd never want a v6 because a vehicle this big is so much more versatile with a v8

By the way, according to US fuel ratings

(http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.doaction=Cars&year=2015&make=Nissan&pageno=5&sortBy=Comb&tabView=0&rowLimit=10),

a 2wd 5.6L 2015 Nissan Armada should get 12mpg in the city (and this is under favorable conditions). So how are people getting 2mpg better than than that on average city driving with a vehicle that can fit the armada In the glovebox??? I suspect people's "city ratings" on this forum are truly more hwy based.

RICK and NVP, You have established city mpg at 8+ mpg. (On the Oxnard to San Diego part of the PCH, our combined city/hwy was 12+ mpg.) So Rick, if you accept a sample of 2, your mpg is right on. No issue except disappointing, right? Reliability and a good warranty should offset this.

Truck Trend did long term tests on the Armada (on going) and the NV cargo high top. NV combined mpg was 14 mpg if I recall correctly. Just search for their review to confirm. (I've posted their Armada review under Lounge, off topic.)

Since most of our driving is hwy, we average 15+ mpg. I also drive the top half of the tank (never know where the next gas will be in some places), stop pumping gas at the first cut off, unless it is very sensitive or cuts off way too soon based on what I think it should be or the gargling noise. Since we rarely hit the same gas station twice on our trips, it is likely the cut off varies. At the end of each trip, I add up all the gallons, miles and do the math. Typically, it is close to each fill up mpg. I also keep track of the computer mpg, and it is always off 1+ mpg than the "hand calc."

Edited by radin2son

Lots of great info replies and info here... What I am still confused about is how much better MPG the  v6 low roof gets compared to the v6 high roof..

Any thoughts?

thx

David

Actual driving i have yet to average 8 mpg. i've never hit 200 miles on a 25 gallon fill up. more like 7mpg on average. that also includes some hwy too. but even late night with no traffic, the best ive seen the scangauge average was 12 and most of that was a down hill stretch late late with no traffic and no trailer. if it can't get 12 going downhill with no traffic and you guys are getting 15+ with a trailer, there has to be an issue with something. 

Rick

Rick, The sample of 2 V8s (1 cargo HT, 1 NVP) is 7 to 9 mpg city; the combined is 7 to 11 mpg. Based on this ridiculously small sample, you are not that far off 8 mpg city and 9 mpg combined... The best you can hope for appears to be 11+ mpg combined, if you opt to lose a work day to have Nissan check it out.

dslavin123, You probably have to go with combined or hwy mpg to answer your questions regarding mpg differences between V6 standard and high tops. I probably missed this, what are your plans for your NV?

Edited by radin2son

I will use the  NV Cargo to transport surfboard and Standup up paddle boards. I will never have more than 10 boards the will weigh about  250 pounds max/

Definitely go with the high top if you plan to carry surfboards inside. You will appreciate the "standup" room to get your boards and gear in and out; otherwise, you will feel like you are in a minivan. More space, but hunched over. You will need a ladder to get to a roof rack for your standup boards.

If you plan to put all your boards on the roof, mpg will go down whether it is a standard or high top.

In cycling, it seems we can never have too many bikes. (We had 7 at one point; now down to 3.)10 boards for you, or is it 5 and 5 for you and a passenger?

Just saw this on trucktrend.com. The 2015 Dodge ProMaster V6 gets 18 mpg city and 26 hwy. Impressive if true. Truck trend shows the NV V8 at combined 14 mpg. It would be helpful if Nissan would post city/hwy as well...

Edited by radin2son

thx for the info... My standups are all under 9 ft.. so they should fit inside.

going to dealer today !!!