Emimiller

Towing with NV1500

I have an NV1500 Sherrod Conversion. We had a tow package and breaking system installed to tow a TT. (2015 Hideout 27DBS. The dealer we purchased the TT from told us we could pull 7500 pounds, and this trailer would be no problem to pull (6500 dry). We have a WD Hitch as well. We took 3 short camping trips locally (no more than 40 miles away) with no towing issues. We arrived at a campground and were told by the owner of the CG that our car is not rated for towing the trailer and that it's unsafe. That was a first. The last thing we wanted was to be unsafe! We have two SN kids with wheelchairs, so the NV's size is a must for us. Opinions?

We have not towed the TT since this guy got under our skin. My husband has a 2012 Nissan Titan that we have been using to tow but it's a little "tight" in there when we load the kids/dogs!

Sorry for the vague post- new to all of this and still learning the lingo!

Looked up the specs on a 2015 nv 1500 with v6.

I know yours is a 2012, might be the same, might differ in the early model.

Factory specs show 2000# with a bumper hitch and 7000# with a tow receiver.

Your owners manual will have your exact specs.

Rick.

What is a NV "Sherrod" conversion and does it increase the weight of your NV? From what I have read, you have to consider both your TT and loaded tow vehicle weights. I haven't looked but your manual may not give tow specs for a loaded/heavier NV.

Our experience is that most people in campgrounds, including cg owners/operators/hosts have never seen an NV, let alone know what the tow rating is. This could be true for the TT dealer as well, but I would be inclined to believe the dealer. Others will chime in...

NEVER believe a trailer dealer, they're in business to sell campers not keep people safe.  They tell people with 1/2 T trucks they can easily pull a giant fifth wheel since the manufacturer that makes the camper states its "1/2 Ton towable".  Wrong.

You really want to know what you can tow?  It's not terribly hard it just takes some legwork.  Before I continue I can almost guarantee you wont like the numbers, it just is what it is...

Here is a good link - http://www.learntorv.com/p/what-can-i-tow.html

Another - http://bamarv.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-calculate-your-real-towing.html

And a handy calculator - http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

All those links sum up things way better than what I can type in here.  I can almost promise you that you will be over weight in at least a couple areas.  Your van's payload probably took a hit with the mods that were made.  Plus you have the smaller motor and 1500 chassis.  I honestly dont know what all is different on the 1500 vs. 2500 vs. 3500 models as far as chassis, axle, hubs, etc.  

Since you already own the camper I would take it to get weighed as well and do the 3 weight process to get the total picture.

You want the NV weight.  The NV weight with camper.  NV weight with camper and the WD bars NOT HOOKED, just it sitting on the ball.

http://www.learntorv.com/2013/04/getting-weighed-adventure-at-cat-scales.html

A Sherrod Conversion basically takes the NV cargo and turns it in to a 7 person van with added accessories like tv's, nav, lighting, speakers ect. I agree, we Definitely need to get this thing weighed! I'm surprised by the power behind the v6! It's not the end of the world if we can't tow with the NV, but it sure is a nice way to travel!

post-1166-0-79643900-1441387741_thumb.jpg

post-1166-0-61882300-1441387833_thumb.jpg

post-1166-0-34819700-1441387888_thumb.jpg

A Sherrod Conversion basically takes the NV cargo and turns it in to a 7 person van with added accessories like tv's, nav, lighting, speakers ect. I agree, we Definitely need to get this thing weighed! I'm surprised by the power behind the v6! It's not the end of the world if we can't tow with the NV, but it sure is a nice way to travel!

That looks pretty crazy inside!  Not sure how much weight was added or not with the removal of factory benches vs. the captains chairs.  Very cool lighting and flip down screens.  

Emimiller, nice look. Do you have room in the back for 2 wheel chairs?

Since you said it started out as a V6 cargo van, the curb weight is 5807#. The conversion will add weight, but you probably can can use the V6 NVP for starters. NVP curb weight wasn't listed as a specification on Nissan Commercial's mobile web version. Tow specs were listed.

Nissan Commercial is really nebulous regarding what we drive. Are they 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton? Does the addition of a spring leaf on the 3500 make it a 1 ton? If it doesn't bust your budget, you could check out suspension modifications or just continue to use your Titan.

Thanks for all of the help! I think the Titan will be our tow vehicle of choice when going longer distances. We bought this van due to it's size for our kids, and didn't have camping with a TT on our radar. I wouldn't be comfortable pulling this through any sort of mountains, or even big hills! Luckily Indiana is pretty flat :)

As far as the WC question. Both of our kids are still small (2 and 5) and it is much safer to transport them in a car seat. Their wheelchairs are still small too (manual WC) and both fit in the back behind the last row of seats. The middle row of bucket seats can be removed in the future to add tie downs. Still unsure if we want to put a lift in the back or on side door. We will cross that bridge when the kids get a little heavier! Right now we lift our 5 year old in to the van and he scoots to his seat (behind driver) I get in and then lift him in to the car seat and buckle. Our 2 year old sits behind the passenger seat and his seat swivels to face the door. I just lift him in to the seat, buckle him in and turn the seat back to it's normal position.