Sign in to follow this  
funkytown

New Owner - need feedback

Hello All!

We are new owners of a Black '15 SV V8 with tech & tow package, just purchased a week ago.  We have our 6th child on the way and the wife didn't want to drive a "Yoder Toter" (where we are from many Amish workers catch a ride to job sites in Chevy Express or Ford Econoline vans and many of them are named Yoder - for those of you not in the know).  I've driven large vehicles for a long time and find it amusing that I can back in a parking spot better than many people can pull into one - especially in this van!  

Some questions -

1.  Can the seats be put in the reverse position like in a limo?

2.  Does taking out the headrests matter for safety?  Does it help with visibility out of the rear view? (we have 2 kids in car seats and 2 kids in boosters and 2 sit normally).

3.  I read on a thread in one of the forums that Nissan is paying attention to consumers - do you think they will ever catch on that the seats need to have a little recline in the back (like an airline seat) or that you can fold them down in half?  Mini-Vans do that...and yes, I know these are built on a commercial platform.  

4.  What's the best way to clean the seats and what are the most economical seat covers?  

5.  Would love to have the window master switch be automatic rolldown and rollup for both passenger and driver windows!  Is that only available on the SV?

6.  If I could ever get a Quigley package, could you put a snow plow on?  

Thanks!

Edited by funkytown

Welcome. Can't wait to see what the reaction is to your 4x4 NVP snow plow idea. This afternoon, we saw what appeared to be a 4x4 NVP just east of Butte, MT on I-90. Maybe...

Some questions -

1.  Can the seats be put in the reverse position like in a limo?

2.  Does taking out the headrests matter for safety?  Does it help with visibility out of the rear view? (we have 2 kids in car seats and 2 kids in boosters and 2 sit normally).

3.  I read on a thread in one of the forums that Nissan is paying attention to consumers - do you think they will ever catch on that the seats need to have a little recline in the back (like an airline seat) or that you can fold them down in half?  Mini-Vans do that...and yes, I know these are built on a commercial platform.  

I'll answer a couple of these:

1. Yes. You can turn the second row around (and you could do the third as well if you wanted), but you have to use the farther-back/extended-legroom position.  Also, because of the offset of the seat legs versus the seat itself, you'll only be able to reverse the 2-pod seat, and not the single.  Or, I suppose you may be able to reverse _only_ the single, but I'm not sure how useful that would be?  I used a C-clamp to pinch the front hook on the seats a little closer together just to make it slide into-and-outta the mounting bracket on the floor a little easier (the rear mounts are slightly skinnier than the front mounts, but they _will_ fit backwards).  See my pic in the gallery.

2. Headrests certainly help for whiplash in an accident...  but like you, most of my kids are too short and/or in a carseat and their head is against the main seatback.  I do have headrests in the positions where my older kids sit, tho...  but on the edges of the rows...  which allows me to have _some_ visibility out the back, but really the rear door frames down the center block most of it anyways.  Learn to love your curved blind-spot mirrors.

3. SO MUCH THIS.  Wish the seats could recline or fold.  Would increase the comfort and usability 10,000%.

hmmm that is the first time I've thought about reclining seats.  I will bring that up at our next meeting, that would be a tremendous selling point now that I think about it.