Mazinbenny

How to make the 2nd row rear-facing in the NV Passenger Van

As promised, I've uploaded a short video describing how I turned the 2nd row of my 2015 NV Passenger Van (SL) to be rear-facing.  This should work in all years, trims of the passenger van.  (You can see a pic in the gallery under "Colorado Crew"

Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/3NmZ0z3isJI

Sweet, thanks! I'm sure at some point we will want to try that out....!

I had done this in my van previously as well.  It works for the rear most position on the front seat, but not the forward position as the bracket on the seat will not fit longitudinally in the foremost position.  Additionally, the front seats have to be scooted forward to make it work, so not that practical.

I have mine rear facing with the third row in the limo position which give plenty of legroom for even adults to sit across from one another.

That is awesome! My kids are going to be thrilled if I do this!

Are there any safety concerns? I'm thinking there is nothing wrong with this especially since the kids are going to be in car seat.

I have been told that you cannot install car seats in a rear facing seat.

No reason you can't use car seats rear facing, just make sure they are properly installed, use latch when appropriate and pay attention to weight restrictions/recommendations.  I have my smallest in a Britax Marathon facing rearward so he can see his brothers.  His position is safer in a collision than if he were front facing. (That's why astronauts sit in rear facing seats in reentry capsules...in a collision, your head and neck are pressed into the seat limiting skeletal-muscular damage).

Sorry to (once again) bump up an old thread, but I'm trying to do this same modification of the 2nd row, and the problem I'm running into is that the seat's rear locks don't seem to want to engage even after many repeated "bounces" and drops. I'm going to try lubricating them with some WD-40 this weekend and trying again, as I really like the rear-facing seating arrangement.  

Decided against this mod, as it looks like our mounts will require more modification than I’m comfortable doing, and we came up with another seating configuration that we like even better.