Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

New NV SMB for sale

While passing through Port Angeles, WA we saw a high top NV SMB on a RV lot. We did not stop, but the Nissan dealer there sells both commercial and SMBs. Go to www.wilderrvs.com if you are interested.

It is listed as a 2013 NV V6 with 1187 miles for $63K+, reduced from $66K+. The floor plan is the same as ours (think VW Westy), but the cabinets on the driver's side are taller. More storage? The down side is no walk through to the rear doors.

It has an awning that appears to be attached to the sheet metal above door height. Check their photos.

While passing through Port Angeles, WA we saw a high top NV SMB on a RV lot. We did not stop, but the Nissan dealer there sells both commercial and SMBs. Go to www.wilderrvs.com if you are interested.

It is listed as a 2013 NV V6 with 1187 miles for $63K+, reduced from $66K+. The floor plan is the same as ours (think VW Westy), but the cabinets on the driver's side are taller. More storage? The down side is no walk through to the rear doors.

It has an awning that appears to be attached to the sheet metal above door height. Check their photos.

Silver sitting far east in their lot?  I think I saw it also.

Same one.

The way the interior is set up would make it difficult to sleep more than 2. I'm not sure what the interior height difference is between our pop top and your high top but if the SMB high top used the same dimension cabinets as our's, it might be possible to add a sleeping loft.

We saw a Srinter that was converted this way. The couple build a loft for their pre-schoolish sons, a sleeping platform for them and room underneath for storage (plastic bins) and water containers. Except for sleeping they spent their time out of the van. They also had 4 bikes on the back.

Met the owner/cabinet maker of an '07 Ford E-series 4x4 diesel. He bought it new and has put over 100,000 miles on it. He chose SMB because they have been converting vans for 50 years and should know how to do it right. (One of the reasons we went with SMB.) Even though he is a cabinet maker and could build better cabinets, he didn't see a need to do a home build.

His take on SMB is that they do it right, sometimes sloppily, but the major problem is being too conservative in adopting new materials and methods. One example is the "scissor" hinge that supports the pop top. They have been using the same tubing for 50 years, rather than upgrade to stronger, lighter materials.

Periodically, I check SMB's website, but I had not posted anything on their forum in a very long time. I posted a brief 3 year summary of owning a NV SMB. It is a good site for info for builds, problems, solutions and replacement products.

Edited by radin2son

Not that people were lined up at Nissan dealers to buy SMB conversions...

It appears there are no longer any Nissan dealerships selling them. The good news is that SMB West, maybe the other 2 sites as well, may/will still do the 2 floor plan conversions. Beyond this, it will be a custom build which would be costly.

It doesn't appear any of the 30 built were 4x4. Had there been any, they probably would have been Quigley conversions. Advanced 4x4 in Salt Lake isn't that far from Fresno, so there may be some possibilities...

SMB West seems more focused on the factory 4x4 Sprinter and 4x4 Ford E-series cutaway conversion, which looks like the 2014 conversion with a slight bump out where they joined the the cab to the van conversion. There are 2 videos on YouTube if interested.

The SMB conversions do look much more thought  out than my Roadtrek and better quality . I really wish Roadtrek would have stuck with the N6 for more than two years to work out the kinks but they targeted the wrong audience (class A and B motorhome types) instead of the camper van people. 

Both were poorly marketed, or maybe not at all. It would have been better had NV dealers marketed conversions at/after purchase, similar to the way 4x4 is marketed at the dealer level. Another good example is lift conversions.

Nissan Corp could easily add a gallery of van conversions available through dealers. There may have an owner gallery early on, as I remember a blog type post about a couple who drove one of the 1st NVPs to Alaska.

Here are 2 new camper conversions by SMB.

The Transit EB has the 3.5 Eco-Boost and goes for $97k. Lots of interior room. We've seen a few Transit 4x4 conversions but none converted by SMB.

The Chevy diesel 3500 is a Quigley 4x4 conversion and goes for $147k. No interior photos.

SMB has converted a Sprinter 4x4, although the camper conversion we saw was built by someone else. Great looking conversion. From the rear the 4x4 versions look too tall and skinny. You expect them to go around corners on 2 wheels.

post-376-0-47565000-1461374906_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-50722500-1461374921_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-17465900-1461374937_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son