jaymanfifty

Automated Car Washes - regular roof NV

I'm tired of washing my NV by hand - it "kicks my a@@" - I have been hesitant to take it through an automated car wash such as Auto Bell around here in NC and wanted to know if anyone has already done so without mishap? This regular roof NV is still about a foot higher than a 4x4 Toyota Tundra so height may be an issue. Asked my dealer but no answer as yet. If anyone has taken their regular roof NV through any of these car washes, I would like to know so I can take mine - its over 80 degrees here today and I just washed this "girl" and, as usual, she "wore me out"!!!!

I have a high roof, so I know it won't go through an automated car wash without a severe hit to my liability insurance.

I would think the low roof would be just fine in a car wash. The only thing you may want to do it unscrew the radio antenna first so it does not get bent or ripped off the fender. Since the sides and top are so flat a car wash should do a pretty good job.

I am stuck using a ladder or going to a self serve place with the high power nozzle and lots of quarters.

Good luck!

-Earl

I have a high roof, so I know it won't go through an automated car wash without a severe hit to my liability insurance.

I would think the low roof would be just fine in a car wash. The only thing you may want to do it unscrew the radio antenna first so it does not get bent or ripped off the fender. Since the sides and top are so flat a car wash should do a pretty good job.

I am stuck using a ladder or going to a self serve place with the high power nozzle and lots of quarters.

Good luck!

-Earl

I have to use a ladder to wash the roof of mine as well - I'm 5-10 - I guess if you're a basketball player, you could wash the regular roof without the ladder. I even need a 2 step stool to really clean the windshield. Not complaining though - luv the NV!!!

Just took my new NVP 3500HD SV V8 through an automated carwash. I think this beast is somewhere between 7 to 7.5 feet tall, so there is no way you can competently wash the top. First is make sure you know how tall your NVP is, and if you take it through a carwash make sure you know the height clearance information. Also, the mirrors on the side stick out quite far, so be careful there as well.

My car wash went well. I had to fold my mirrors in. I will say that i will be looking around for a carwash that is more liberal with its height, just to be safe and never sorry.

Also, i will probably look for a touchless wash, because they may have better side clearances. Again, i had no problems before, but i was biting my nails (with the mirrors folded in) wondering and hoping that my mirrors would not get ripped off.

I think it is better to wash often.

Just took my new NVP 3500HD SV V8 through an automated carwash. I think this beast is somewhere between 7 to 7.5 feet tall, so there is no way you can competently wash the top. First is make sure you know how tall your NVP is, and if you take it through a carwash make sure you know the height clearance information. Also, the mirrors on the side stick out quite far, so be careful there as well.

My car wash went well. I had to fold my mirrors in. I will say that i will be looking around for a carwash that is more liberal with its height, just to be safe and never sorry.

Also, i will probably look for a touchless wash, because they may have better side clearances. Again, i had no problems before, but i was biting my nails (with the mirrors folded in) wondering and hoping that my mirrors would not get ripped off.

I think it is better to wash often.

Where did you take it? Sams Club's are essentially all the same, so once you find one location, the rest across the U.S. will work too.

No, it wasnt sams...the ones here dont have car washes. I went to a real car wash place, one that allows you to drive through, and it has a 24 hour express. I like it because it has free vacuums. Number one important thing is to measure the height of your car and talk with a manager to make sure there are no height issues.

HOWEVER< i am thinking about finding a truck place that has a larger bay, or just taking it to those spray it yourselves. The automated ones do not seem to be able to reach the top of the car.

When I bought my High Roof NV the dealer had a program for Free Car Washes and Free Oil Changes. The Free Car Wash option is a bargain in itself. It takes them about 15-20 minutes and they wash it by hand.

My low roof NV goes through once a week. No issues at all. Same place that washed my Chevy Express for 7 years. Never a problem.

The Nissan NV brochure list the high roof at 105" which is 8.75 ft. I  hand washed and used a brush on a pole on my van once during the forty days of ownership.It was a good workout. I did not do the roof. I will try a tall ladder during the next wash.

The van's large frontage area really picks up the bugs/ pebbles .I Have not found any  front end protective "bras" or netting to reduce such hits.

I think first you need to contact with some worker of that car wash because without the proper instruction its not god to put your ride in a car wash because mostly the height of the vehicle is the problem in car wash. Good luck dear.

Edited by Local Apparent Friday
Removed spam link

Our Low Roof NV goes through a local car wash 2-3 times a week being black.  The only issue we have is that i think there might be an issue with the back doors because every times it comes out there is a leak running down the inside of the doors to the floor.  Ours is a automated system but they hand wash then run it through a system to rinse and dry.

Its tight but goes through the Auto Bell car wash in Shelby, NC. and with the complete wash package, the van looks like new - many comments from people on this van - some say its "fugly" but NOT to me - I think its "beautiful" - guess its the "eye of the beholder"!!!!!

No prob fitting in my local automatic car wash...

20150307 110339

Don't you have a pit crew of 7 babes in bikini's cleaning it twice per week like I do?!?  3 of them stay inside with me to make sure I'm clean...

Great question. Let's revive this discussion!

I've been doing mine by hand but here in Texas by the time I get one side washed the other side dries and vice versa, even with my kids helping.

My enthusiasm for keeping it clean has been hampered by life with a new baby as well as the Texas summer. I'd love to be able to use an automated car wash.

The last place I called had a clearance of 7', which I think is exactly the height of the van so I didn't go. Better safe than sorry. But sadly that means I went a good 5 months since washing. :(

Mine fits our "Cruz-Thru" automated car washes, even with the front lifted 3". I still have to put on the blocks to raise the back up, but it looks like I'll be fine. Max clearance at the wash says 7'-3", so I'll have a whopping 1" of clearance LOL

I tried to measure my stock-height NVP. It appeared that the antenna was the tallest feature sticking up roughly 2" higher than the rest of the van. I crudely measured it at about 7'-2".

Antenna doesn't count

I have been through pink elephant in tacoma, wa max 7' been through twice no issues.

I took ours thru the wash with great hesitation, the manager assured me it would fit. They took my antenna off an folded the mirrors in and he walked next to it to be sure. It fit!! Not every car wash will work tho and I was not keen on how hard it hit my van :(

I'm looking for a long sponge pole set up to hand wash it myself. Any suggestions??

I took ours thru the wash with great hesitation, the manager assured me it would fit. They took my antenna off an folded the mirrors in and he walked next to it to be sure. It fit!! Not every car wash will work tho and I was not keen on how hard it hit my van :(

I'm looking for a long sponge pole set up to hand wash it myself. Any suggestions??

Get an RV washing pole.  They sell them online and in stores like Walmart and even Autozone.  Has a soft bristle brush on one end and you can attach a hose to the telescoping pole if you like.  It has a on/off valve for the hose.  Some are just brushes.  

Here is a cheap one - https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-93053-Dip-n-Wash-Vehicle-Handle/dp/B0009IK9DG/

We have both styles and honestly dont use the hose much, it can make it hard to maneuver the pole and brush around with a heavy hose hanging off the back.  We bought them for our camper but they work great on the NV.

Thanks guys!!

I'm rather short so the long pole is for washing the whole van :)

There are wash-waxes that 'sheet' water off, instead of beading which collects dirt. Then for up to 3 mos or longer, you can just spray wash it and it looks waxed. They keep changing the products because they keep you from buying other things you don't need in great quantities. Look for a good quality product like Mcquires (sp?) that says "Sheeting action" and it should be good.

Other than the hood and passenger window plastic air foils, I was going to get a clear 'skin' put on high roof front slope. I'll still need a long handle soft brush and ladder, but I'm not going to do it but about every 4+ months for white. The spray washes will be weekly though for an almost just waxed look. That's my plans anyway: easier is better. It's hard to trust a machine or even other people from scratching your vehicle: and it's almost assured. You just don't know how much until the next time you hand wash it again.

I washed my new high roof  cargo NV once and said never again! Took over an hour!  The next day I ordered a CRS spotless wash and hooked it up to a pressure washer.  Life may resume now.  I really don't even use much or any soap at all. "Hose it off and walk away." Once and a while I have to get a brush or mitt to hit a bug cause I don't want to really go hard with a pressure washer.  They advertise you can spray it and walk away and it does work as advertised. I wash and rinse with the system, might be overkill but I seems that to roof holds a lot of water so I don't see the point of washing with hard water and having it pool on the roof only to run off when you move it.  I'd rather have the treated water left up there and then I don't worry about it. I still like to dry the windows out of habit, and any horizontal spots like the hood and the window cut out ridge if only to have one damp towel to dust the interior with. They have a refer a friend 10% discount available, message me and I'll reply with the info.  Not sure if its kosher to mention that on the forum, but hey it's free money if your going to buy one anyway.   

Edited by cabinetcrew