Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Additions: Windows, screens, racks, bumpers, boxes, awnings

We have added very little to our NV.

Over 3 years, the CR Laurence "awning style" windows have worked flawlessly. I have, however, read that parts are hard to get when there is a problem. The only issue we have is the provided screens fit poorly and are hard to remove, so we leave them in place and don't worry about cleaning the inside of the lower portion of the window. Bugs have not come through the gaps, as I filed them with left over pieces of noseeum screen.

We purchased driver and passenger door noseeum screens from skeeterbeater. Seldom use them as the ph offers great ventilation without them. We have often used the sliding door screen we made. Skeeterbeater sells screen material by the yard as well as magnets. The width is perfect and you only need to measure the length. The only issue is, you have to remove it to be able to shut the door. Not everyone would be comfortable with this lack of security, but we will leave it open all night.

On the subject of screens, the ph screens are not noseeum. There have been complaints but nothing has changed. Don't know if this a durability issue or "we have always used these screens" on the part of SMB. We are trying to figure out a way to temporarily attach noseeum screen to at least 2 windows for cross ventilation.

We have a hitch mounted bike rack that I do not like using. Always carried bikes and wheels on a roof rack. Not sure if we would ever go with a hitch mounted box, but it would be a good place to store a portable toilet. If we again attempt the Dempster Hwy to the Actic or the Trans Labrador Hwy, we may go with a tire mount. 2 spares are recommended.

Add your plans and what works.

post-376-0-86760000-1446909702_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-43346500-1446909721_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-97053200-1446909752_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-17879500-1446909770_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

Sportsmobile did a good job converting NVs, but they are very conservative compared to other conversion companies. For example, I think SMB high tops' small window on the upper portion of the skidding door is fixed. Outside Van did the same thing, but the window can slide open, which would be great for ventilation.

No one makes a screen for the sliding door on NVs. The owner of Skreenz told us he stopped making them for Fords and Sprinters because people kept getting them caught in the door.

The sliding door screen is time consuming to make. You need a simple sewing machine and someone who knows how to use it. It is durable and you can slide the magnets around to make it fit better than in the photo.

Sportsmobile Texas built a 2015 extended high top Transit with an awning across the back, mounted just above the rear doors. The doors apparently function as support or walls, but the area is much too small to be of any use. It looks like a spoiler..

It is for sale, used, with 4290 miles. $76,500.

Speaking of awnings or not...

We try to park to make our own shade. but the van side facing the sun really heats up the van, particularly the cab area. In Gila Bend it was 85* in the shade, but the van temp said it was 90*. A tarp on the sunny side would help and the ladder mounts will make this fairly easy. 

post-376-0-79628600-1456504831_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-01019800-1456504846_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

I don't know if this rack brand has been mentioned...

I met the owner of a 90's V10 E-series Ford window van camper/Quigley conversion. No pop top. 2 years ago he purchased the van as is for $15k. He made some interior changes and added a full rack, awning and fridge/frezzer all made Ironman from Australia. On the rack he has 4 round running lights, the awning, a solar panel that tilts and a water tank painted black with a hose that hangs down the side for gravity fed water. Plenty of room for other gear as well.

He also has a small solar panel on the hood for the van battery.

Van only has a 20 gallon gas tank, but he will be adding second tank to extend range. He can carry fuel cans on a rear bumper rack that also holds a spare.

WRONG Info on the rack. It is a custom fabrication by the original owner.

Edited by radin2son

All good info radin2son!  Any recommendations for an awning ? 

No regarding an awning but Laharview put one on his high top NV. KMG also has some ideas as well.

The reason I got the rack info wrong was I was looking at the awning/logo attached to the rack, not the rack.

I also learned that Desert Racers has a lot of members who are fabricators They will build whatever you need. They also may have some info on awnings used on their support vehicles.

One thing about campgrounds, we all like to see what everyone else is using and we love talking. The stories we tell...

If I had a low roof van, I'd install either the Ostrich Wing Awning with a wall kit or a Cascadia Mt. Jefferson roof top tent.  It differs from most RTT with it's bed and lower open area combined.

www.bigcountry.co.za/shop/product-types/awnings/ostrich-wing-awning/
Edited by KMG

I have the Roadtrek modified N6, it has the low roof but it raises up. Thanks for the info.

KMG, I saw your post regarding possibly adding a poptop to your hightop NV. The Roadtrek version is one of the best looking and perhaps most streamlined. (Ford E-series tops look pretty good as well.) I believe the RT opens like the VW pop tops. I have seen quite a few GMC vans from Canada using these as well. An advantage is the hole doesn't have to be as big, leaving a lot of the roof integrity in tack.

Are you planning to sleep up there, or is it for ventilation? The latter will be fine, but it can get tight to sleep. OK for kids.

If you go with a roof like our's or Jon's, they don't necessarily come down straight and seat themselves the same way every time. You can still latch it securely but it can get noisy on bumpy roads. Because I can see the way it is seated, I can manhandle it into place. Heavy and awkward.

If you want ventilation only, l still like the boat hatch idea. It looked good and didn't add much height, or is it hight.

Radin2son, I forgot you have the pop top.  It's even your profile image.  I've said before and now, your welcome at my place any time you're near.  I'd like to see your  NV.  I guess I was remembering Jon Nelson's because it's a high roof NV.  I'd like a pop top for a second sleeping area.  You mentioned it's tight but with my high roof I should be able to lower the bed increasing headroom and still have room under the bed for my dinette/bed combo.  I'd lower the upper bed about 12".

The VW Westy's basically were window vans with a metal sun roof. Omit the metal and there was your access. It was tight fit at the rear due to the angle of the roof. With this you couldn't lower the bed platform as it was on the roof.

The hightop SMB in Port Angeles, WA had the same floor plan as ours with cabinets on the driver's side. I thought these would make a great base for an upper bed. The other side had a window so would need a base for that side. I believe you have windows all around, so you would need to fabricate a base for both sides. If you don't need flow through access, I would attempt to have the bed platform fold away when traveling or be removable when not needed to give you stand up room. It would still be a tight fit, but for sleeping it might not matter. It would avoid cutting that big hole. Jon had a valid reason to do so.

You may want to drive to SMB North to check out their process. Our's ph is tight but only when getting down. We cannot sit completely upright to get down. Getting up is not a problem.

www.theskeeterbeater.com has just introduced screens for the side and rear doors for variety of SUVs and vans. $79.99 to $149.99.

Edited by radin2son

Ordered a rear panel (56"x64) for our low top NV SMB. Panel cost $116.40. The email doesn't mention free shipping over $75 so go to the home page to get the code. It may have automatically deducted this but not clear.

KMG, Skeeter Beater is in your state. Not sure if they are still owned by the same family.

For anyone needing screens these are the way to go. Very durable. Can't wait for the extra ventilation.

While I was posting this, Mona at Skeeter Beater got back to me and will correct my order and all others using the email "blast." Their omission. This is the way to do business.

Edited by radin2son

Recv'd rear screen for our low top NV on 8/8. Fast turn around.

Screen (56" x 64") is black and heavier, more durable (?), than the front window screens.

64" across is a tight fit over the weather strip, so not all magnets find metal. This is definely true for the areas near the tail lights and plastic trim on the floor area. It should stay in place just fine.

The only foreseeable issue will be rain and having to exit the van to remove the screen and shut the doors. A less serious issue may be curious mammals. Our VW had a rear sceen and I woke up one night while camped along the Big Sur to find 2 raccoons looking in. You know that feeling when someone is staring at you.

"You know that feeling when someone is staring at you. "  I know that feeling!  I would work long hours all hours of the day and night as a locomotive engineer and would wake up with both my little boys "starring" at me from the beds edge.  I miss those days.

Hey Rad, I'm thinking about getting the CRL windows for the sliding door and the one across from it for cross wind. Do you think its a good idea to put it on the sliding door? Either this or get a 14" vent put in the roof i guess. Need something with a screen for sure.

They work fine in the sliding door. Good air flow and no need to worry about rain. Never noticed any wind noise, but it might be masked by all the noise associated with the pop top.

The only issues are: you need to pay attention to the sharp corner of the rear portion of both windows so you don't hit them with your shoulder or head. Minor hazard.

Even when "completely" closed, the bottom portion will briefly flap open a bit from the air pressure when you close the slider.

The screen frames with ours don't fit well but bugs haven't noticed.

After almost 4 years of use, no problems.

Edited by radin2son

I installed HEHR brand  windows and they have performed well.  Might be an option.  www.nissanvanwindows.com

If I was installing windows again I would look for a sliding vent type for the passenger side behind the sliding door.   If my awning window is completely open, the sliding door would hit it.  I made a stop to prevent the window from opening far enough to make contact.  Good Luck

Our rear CRL passenger side window is fixed. SMB could just have well left it as sheet metal but probably wanted to avoid the issue KMG brought up.

The extra light is good from the rear window, but it also lets a lot of heat in and it requires one more curtain or sun shade. Sprinter conversions have many more options in this regard.

Laharview has posts on installing CRL windows, which would most likely be similar to HEHR instalation.

CRL Windows.

www.sportsmobile.com has a store listing windows that fit NVs. They have 3 locations for installation or they will ship them to you.

I just ordered from Fresno SMB a hard wired carbon monoxide monitor after ours quit. Didn’t know they had be replaced every 5 years.

Fixed windows for slider ($150), rear fixed quarter panel window ($200). Dual vent windows ($450) for slider or driver’s side.

It appears the fixed slider window is no longer a Nissan NV cargo option. Rear door glass is and well worth the minimal cost.

Edited by radin2son