Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Cooking: microwave, convection ovens, stovetops, camping stoves, appliances

Our '83 VW came with a propane tank, 2 burner stovetop (and 3 way refrigerator), which we used all the time. The only issue was a pin hole leak in the tank fill valve. We found a RV place near Monterey, CA and they replaced the valve, filled the tank and we were on our way.

I don't know when SMB started adding microwave ovens to their conversions, but my initial reaction was "no way!" Our SMB conversion didn't come with a stove top. I was told they could not install a propane stovetop because they couldn't vent it properly; something about being too close to the gas fill. I didn't pursue this, so do not know if it had something to do with CA code or requirements to get the RV Industry Association (compliance with standards) badge they put on the back of the van. (Did you know that KOA can refuse entry without this badge?) An additional issue is ferry transport. In WA, when paying for a ticket, we were asked if we had propane. They reserve the right to inspect your tank before getting on the ferry. I told them we had a camp stove with propane, which didn't seem to interest them.

So we have the microwave, and it has worked fine. Quick with little clean up. We have modified (canned for fresh) recipes to work with the microwave. You can still add fresh ingredients, bagged baby spinach, kale, peppers, carrots, tomatoes etc. The frozen food aisle is loaded with over processed microwaveable food to meet every taste and occasion. The main issue with a microwave is needing shore power or idling the engine. Read about someone whose microwave fell out of the cabinet in their camper van. Good thing microwaves are cheap to replace.

We also have a Coleman Triton series 2 burner stove that we have to ignite. Propane canisters are cheap and easy to find. There is an adapter available for a larger tank. Much nicer cooking outside than it was inside our VW.

We use a cheap Mr Coffee to make coffee in the morning and we have a toaster. Luxuries with heavy power drain unless on shore power. Solution is our campstove to boil water for tea and a good bakery. Even better is a cafe...

What are you planning and what works?

Edited by radin2son

My N6 came with a microwave, works when we are on shore power but its hit and miss when we are running on the house batteries . We just take our old as dirt Coleman camp stove and set it up outside and its works just fine.

Try idling your engine when you want to use your Microwave. Roadtrek has advised class B owners they can't/shouldn't do this, while SMB says you can. It works.

We also like our Coleman stove.

There was an post on the SMB forum where "mpg" impact was calculated while using engine idling to power appliances, charge batteries etc, then compared to the instalation cost of solar power. Conclusion was very little fuel used and it would take a long time to get to solar savings. Sort of like the diesel vs gas argument... Lots of variables ignored.

There also was a "news" item awhile back where someone calculated the impact of charging your phone while driving. Something like .003 mpg reduction...

Edited by radin2son