mahu

Sliding door not opening

Is there a known issue with the sliding door not opening reliably?

Every 10th time or so the door won't open. Basically when pulling the exterior door handle or pressing the interior button to open it there is no resistance in the door handle and it doesn't "grip" anything. It takes many locking and unlocking cycles with the remote key to rectify. Sometimes takes 10 or 15 tries before the mechanism works again.

Even when the sliding door opens there is a lot less grip on the door handle compared to the two regular doors. Basically there is very little reistance and one has to pull the door handle all the way before anything happens, sometimes even pull two or three times before the mechanism opens the door. Is this a known issue?

Hmmm, not one that I've heard of. Ours has never acted this way, thankfully. Let us know what you find....

Sounds like something is loose inside the door and isnt catching or a tab broke off.  I used to drive and race 80's and early 90's VW's and that was quite common on those.  Pretty simple fix of taking the handle off and checking on those but I havent looked at how the NV handles are attached.  If the locking rod is loose you'll need to pop the interior panel off and fix that way.  The rods are normally just slip fit into a hole in the locking mechanism.

I assume when you are locking and unlocking you can hear the actuator working inside the door.  If you dont then the actuator either went bad or the wire came loose.

Had this happening too. Turned out the locking actuator had too much strain against it and needed to be loosened up so as not to contact anything in the stroke cycle.

Took me time to figure it out.

Anything rubbing on the door panel when the door is closed?

Rick.

There were some issues with the sliding door not (?) locking, but who knows where that post is. (Reason to post these where we can find the topic and use the info.) The issue did not involve the door handle; rather, it had to do with the multi pin sensors on the door and door jam. I would lean that way, as it is normal for the handle to work the way you described when the van is locked.

Have you tried the other key fob? A low battery or bad battery will cause the system to not work well or not at all.

At least the door is locked and you can continue your travels in high crime areas.

Depending on where you are, welcome to the west and the vast open spaces between NV dealers. I wouldn't worry about this until you get to Tahoe and can find a NV dealer. If I recall, it was an easy fix, but if parts are involved it will be at least 2 visits.

Let us know what you think of the dealer who resolves and post this under "good service." Twice in the past year, we have been in the Tahoe/Reno area and it would be good to know where we can get service.

11/7 RICK's comment is the easiest fix. Since you have unloaded your van, did this fix it. If not, there is noticeably less resistance on the slider door handle than the passenger. Why?

Edited by radin2son

Mod deleted **Sorry to anyone who tries this.  It doesn't work.  If someone knows how to delete this video from the post let me know and I'll do it.**  I traced the issue with the slider jamming to the center rear latch.  The cable to that latch has a bracket which allows tension adjustment.  Tightened it up and good to go.  Can't make the door latch bind up anymore.  Tried ten times.  Color me happy.  This has been my only complaint on my 3500, and it's done it since new.  maybe the video is useful.  The offending cable is lowermost in the image, and the adjuster is hiding behind the guy's hand.

Edited by ASD Dad

There other posts and fixes floating around, but people rarely update the solution(s). Thanks for taking the time...

You're welcome.  This issue has been a thorn in my side.  Brand new van and this happens.  I read the TSB from Nissan.  What a joke.  "Adjust the door."  Maybe redesign the latch so it does't fail?  I'm still going to slam the thing, but it's nice to know if I'm pointed uphill and inadvertently give it a light hit, I can now open it to try again without having to go inside and body slam the thing.

“angelinejovan,” NV 2500 HD high top and me & my dog,” posted another video fix in Introduce yourself. Her last post was on 12/18 so no idea if door issue was resolved or how. 

Regarding how to delete the video, click on edit and it should show you the “uploaded” video separately and “trash can” to delete it. It works this way with photos.

Edited by radin2son

still don't see any delete option.  Oh well, the video is useful for anyone wanting to see the inner workings of the latch hardware, and it certainly motivated me to fix the issue.  For these reasons I am grateful to the guy who made it.  Just please don't follow his advice.  I don't know know if tightening that cable is the cure or a bandaid.  What I do know is it stopped the bleeding.  I'd like to know if anyone found an adjustment to the door latches themselves which stops the thing from binding in the first place and needing a bit more cable pull to unlatch.   

10 hours ago, aztec said:

still don't see any delete option.  Oh well, the video is useful for anyone wanting to see the inner workings of the latch hardware, and it certainly motivated me to fix the issue.  For these reasons I am grateful to the guy who made it.  Just please don't follow his advice.  I don't know know if tightening that cable is the cure or a bandaid.  What I do know is it stopped the bleeding.  I'd like to know if anyone found an adjustment to the door latches themselves which stops the thing from binding in the first place and needing a bit more cable pull to unlatch.   

Hey aztec, I am still figuring out what all I can do with this new site format.  I deleted that video for you.  Hope that was OK.  I am not sure I can put it back!  I still cant do some things I used to be able to do on the old site but I can do other things like delete that vid.  Weird.

Thanks for posting a possible fix!  Hopefully others will find it useful.

Thanks.  That's fine.  I was concerned someone would view the video before reading my comments.  I'd hate to be responsible for someone screwing up their van. 

We have an issue with the sliding door on one NV2500.  The door will not open from inside or outside and the issue is intermittent.  It's been back to the dealer a few times and multiple items have been replaced.   The Nissan factory rep is going to look at it next week at the dealer.

What have they replaced? Let us know how it is resolved. 

On 1/16/2020 at 7:03 AM, c317414 said:

We have an issue with the sliding door on one NV2500.  The door will not open from inside or outside and the issue is intermittent.  It's been back to the dealer a few times and multiple items have been replaced.   The Nissan factory rep is going to look at it next week at the dealer.

I have no use whatsoever for dealer service departments, but in their defense, in this specific instance, it's a design flaw.  Nissan is aware of the problem and issued a service bulletin instructing the dealers to not replace parts, only adjust the rear upper and lower strikes.  I tried that a couple of times to no avail.  I did not try every possible direction to move the strikes.  In the middle of the process I found a youtube video where some interesting soul had turned the front strike 180º and claimed it fixed his issue.  I tried this and the door jammed so badly I could not get it open with my usual trick of holding down the door release button inside the van and hip checking the door.  I had to take off the inner door panel and fiddle with the mechanism.  I discovered the lower (middle of the door) rear latch was the culprit.  To fix it I took the slack out of the cable to that latch.  Mercifully, of the six cables and additional actuator rods, that cable is the only one with an obvious, simple adjustment bracket.  Now, if the door binds up, I have enough leverage on that latch to get it to release.  Maybe mention that to them.  Interestingly, somewhere in the process I managed to eliminate the binding issue for now.  I used to be able to bind up the door on command by "almost" closing it.  With the cable tightened, I tried several times to replicate the issue and was not able to.  So perhaps this is the ultimate fix for my specific van.  Good luck.  It's certainly annoying.

Edited by aztec

The Nissan tech rep had the dealer order every replaceable part inside the door.  it was all replaced and the door is now working well.

I have a slightly different issue with the sliding door on my high roof NV, wondering if anyone else has had similar...

After dealing with the problem of the door getting stuck and unable to open from the inside if closed gently (which was always solved by removing the interior plywood door panel and bit of jiggling of the mechanism) the door is now totally jammed. It is not slid all the way forward and there is a gap at the front and bottom. The problem appears to be the upper rear latch which is holding the door tight. I took the van to my local Nissan dealer and a couple of body shops but no-one has been able to get the door open.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to release this rear upper latch?

TIA

Have you pulled on the cables that go to those latches?

UPDATE: Nissan dealer took to their bodyshop and told me the only way to fix the door was to cut off the stuck door and replace with an entirely new one (CAD$6k!!). Other body shops didn't want to touch / had a look but were "too busy" with insurance claims. Eventually found a great body shop who fixed the problem in 2hrs, no parts needed.

Here's what they did / found:

1. Not only was the rear upper latch stuck, but so was the front latch, the one where the guy in the youtube video recommends you switch it around (arrows pointing out). Body shop found mechanism to front latch was broken, cable stretched and a spring loose. He broke this latch with brute force (flatbar & hammer).

2. After trying to open the rear latch again using the cable, a prybar etc. without success the mechanic drilled an approx 1-1/2" hole through the door panel (two layers) to reveal that the clip from the cable had come off right by the upper rear latch. He was able to remount this through the hole and the door opened!

3. DO NOT FLIP AROUND YOUR FRONT LATCH like the "NewZona Rides" guy on youtube - this was what caused the front to be stuck. 

4. Previous owner had also added spacer washers under front bottom sliding mechanism which caused a slight misalignment. These were removed.

5. Strikers / contacts on door were adjusted to line up perfectly with those on can body.

RESULT:

My door slides open and closed from both inside and outside when the interior locking switch is open (red). It can also be locked and unlocked from the inside. It cannot be locked or unlocked from the outside as the mechanism is broken. I have an extra "Tuf-lock" on the outside at the front which I can use to quickly lock / unlock from the outside if I need, so I don't intend to repair the front latch.

Total cost of repair: CAD$150

Next cheapest alternative I found was a replacement door from a breaker's yard (CAD$900-$1,900 depending on condition) + labour to remove old door, mount replacement.

Wow.  Yours was really jacked up.  Glad to hear it's fixed.  I had posted that latch flip video then realized it was profoundly flawed advice.  I got lucky and my fix was easy.

Hi all, just wanted to post my success in fixing this issue:

I took the cardboard/wood panel off, carefully pulled back the plastic covering that is tacked on to expose the locking/door opening mechanism inside  the door. I found the the cable that opens the upper rear latch was the culprit for my stuck door. when I pulled on the door opening lever, I put some extra tension on the cables that operate the latches to determine the one that wasnt opening enough to release the door. I took a 3/8" socket and loosened the bolt that holds the cable lever mechanism. I was able to shift this piece a bit to the left so that when the opening lever is pressed, there is enough tension to fully open the door. I recognize this might not be a fix for everyone but felt like sharing what worked for me.

Cheers!

Worth mentioning  that NV400’s can have central locking on a side sliding door, but not central unlocking. 

some can look the door, but the door can only be unlocked manually from inside the load area. 

Edited by GSF600 banit
Clarification

On 3/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, PNW_NV2500 said:

Hi all, just wanted to post my success in fixing this issue:

I took the cardboard/wood panel off, carefully pulled back the plastic covering that is tacked on to expose the locking/door opening mechanism inside  the door. I found the the cable that opens the upper rear latch was the culprit for my stuck door. when I pulled on the door opening lever, I put some extra tension on the cables that operate the latches to determine the one that wasnt opening enough to release the door. I took a 3/8" socket and loosened the bolt that holds the cable lever mechanism. I was able to shift this piece a bit to the left so that when the opening lever is pressed, there is enough tension to fully open the door. I recognize this might not be a fix for everyone but felt like sharing what worked for me.

Cheers!

SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS: Hi all I did all the Tricks, from the Videos and none worked well. The right One for me was this one (above). I made a video of it too. I will post somewhere. NOTE: I have the 2012 NV2500 with Manual Locks.  ProTip, if your Door is still JAMMED, Pull on this (rear lock) cable as you open the door handle. and then hammer your fist on the back doorframe from the inside at the same time..

NISSAN-NV2500-STUCK-DOOR-CABLE-TENSION-BOLT-2.jpg

Edited by Dave-NV2500
added a photo