neotim

Got me a front receiver!

Last week I got a custom front receiver on my NV.  I'll use it to hold a bicycle rack while we are towing our travel trailer.  The installer says that it'll hold as much weight as my rear hitch (factory SL), so I might be able to use it to maneuver our camper into our tight driveway (600# tongue weight).  It's a little lower than I thought it would be, but I haven't scraped it yet!

post-989-0-61906800-1447519413_thumb.jpg

post-989-0-37237800-1447519431_thumb.jpg

post-989-0-81236300-1447519438_thumb.jpg

post-989-0-48612300-1447519447_thumb.jpg

post-989-0-84015300-1447519457_thumb.jpg

Nice. I really like it. Like your idea about using it to park your trailer. I've never tried that. Let us know how that works.

Just curious, was the front receiver as expensive as the rear?

I really like the looks of it and it should prove to be very useful.

Seemed pretty low in the head on shot but looked just fine in that last shot from the side.

I'm thinking several forum members would be interested in one if your source is interested in further production.

Nicely done.  I was wondering, does the receiver extend beyond the front bumper?  Also, A step installed might help when servicing the engine bay.  Thanks for the post and images.

Nicely done.  I was wondering, does the receiver extend beyond the front bumper?  Also, A step installed might help when servicing the engine bay.  Thanks for the post and images.

The receiver is pretty much flush with the bumper.  I like the idea of the step!  

It cost $450 and was done by Broken Arrow Hitch and Trailer (bahitch.com).  

Did they remove the recovery hooks at the mount points, or where there none there?

I want to build my own front cargo carrier for the same situation, towing a travel trailer.

Wow, very impressive with the apparent strength. I didn't expect to see the huge boxed section and 6 mounting bolts. Well done!

Did they remove the recovery hooks at the mount points, or where there none there?

I want to build my own front cargo carrier for the same situation, towing a travel trailer.

Yes, they removed the hooks.  They used one of the hook mounting holes on either side to bolt in the receiver.

THIS is exactly what I've been researching for! I want to put bikes on the front too to avoid problems with the rear doors and if I want to tow at the same time. Thanks for the info! How's the hitch been holding up? Any sight line issues with the bikes on?

THIS is exactly what I've been researching for! I want to put bikes on the front too to avoid problems with the rear doors and if I want to tow at the same time. Thanks for the info! How's the hitch been holding up? Any sight line issues with the bikes on?

It has held up perfectly so far.  I've only used it once with 3 bicycles on it.  Even though they were kids bikes I could still see them pretty well from the driver's seat.  But they really didn't pose any issues with the line of sight.

I wish I had seen neotim's design before I built mine.  It looks nice and clean.  Not sure if maybe it's a bit lower than my arrangement.  Mine was cheaper, and certainly a simpler design - I'm a simple guy, I guess.

I had to put my wooden model on here because the DW thought this was the real deal.  She said, "Are you sure that's gonna hold up?"

I'm using it for a 4 bike rack too.  Works great so far.  The bikes did blow toward the truck a little bit.  Only two bolts per side where the tow hooks were mounted.  The hooks are still present for looks thanks to the extra long bolts.  I can't imagine pushing the camper with it since I'd have no mirrors to see around it.

So, tell me what you think of the appearance.  I was going for that bumper guard look.  Does it look tough or sloppy to you?

Larry

post-1954-0-38584400-1495481129_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-75984700-1495481148_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-44157000-1495481167_thumb.jpg

Looks very functional which is all that is needed!  Nice job.

Nice design CaptainLarry.  I wish I had the skills to have done it myself like you did.  Your post reminded me to post a pic of our rig fully loaded.

post-989-0-51723000-1495485375_thumb.jpg

There are 4 bikes on the front when we travel.  I have used mine once to park our 7K lb in a tight spot.  I use it all of the time to park my 5x8 cargo trailer in a tight spot in my backyard.

Nice rig, Neotim.  You need a roof rack and a boat.

My wife's van parks in the garage right where my son's kayak hangs from the ceiling, so it looks like it is on a rack.  DW loves how cool it looks with "the boat on the roof."  I'll get around to that real rack eventually.

The local hitch builder wanted $650 to make one which was too much for me so I bought a Curt front hitch for a late model Titan.  I had a friend cut about an inch off the cross bar and trim the end plates to mount the cross bar up and back from the Titan arrangement.  Since it's all bolted it made it relatively simple.  I can reinstall the tow hooks but I needed longer bolts and haven't done that yet.  For the record Curt did not suggest or approve this application.

I did this mainly to push a travel trailer up my driveway and help with maneuvering.

post-647-0-77461800-1496422224_thumb.jpeg

post-647-0-38227200-1496422262_thumb.jpeg

post-647-0-46397800-1496422048_thumb.jpeg

I'm curious what "cut the cross bar and trim the end plates" means?  I mean it looks really good like it could be a good option for folks, but how much work was that? Was welding involved - you said bolted, but I can't follow?  And how much did it cost compared to $650.

Finally, how does pushing the camper work?

This link to the hitch may help http://www.curtmfg.com/part/31061.  The square tube cross piece bolts to the end plates which bolt to the frame.  After fitting the end plates to my frame I found that the cross piece needed to be about 1" shorter and it needed to be raised and moved back where it attaches to the end plates.

A friend of mine does machine and welding work.  After I marked up what I needed done he first cut off one of the flanges from the square tubing, cut about an inch of tube off then welded the flange back on.  The new bolt hole locations for the end plates were made using a broaching tool to match the original square holes (for the supplied carriage bolts) although round drilled holes could be used instead.  After fitting together the assembly the side plates needed to have material cut from the bottom and front since the cross piece flanges were now located higher than a bit back from what was designed for the 4x4 Titan.

Unfortunately, since the front receiver is about 4" lower than the rear receiver, I do not have sufficient ground clearance to start my trailer up my driveway since it has about an 8 degree slope.  Looks like I need to get a new "stinger" for the Hensley hitch with a 4" rise.  However, on level ground it is great for maneuvering the trailer.  I found the hitch for $165 on line.

Thanks for taking time to explain that.  It does sound like you did a lot of work.  It's time for Curt to redesign a set-up for the NV.

Nice, what did you do with the front sensor? Are they disconnected or do you switch them off after turning the car on?

Nice, what did you do with the front sensor? Are they disconnected or do you switch them off after turning the car on?

Mine works normally.  I guess the front sensor doesn't see it.

Mine work too.  Only have to turn it off with the bike rack in place.  Annoying.

Captain Larry, any chance you could send me the dimensions on that hitch?  Did you build it from scratch or modify a stock one?

Built from scratch.

Dims are pretty special, given the slight angle of the tubing and the offset holes.  Might you want to buy one if I make another?  $200 plus shipping might make it worth my while.

We just had a custom front receiver installed by our friends at San Diego Trailer Supply.

It was a little pricey, but Dave always does good work, and this is no exception. It also leaves the hooks in place. Note that a chunk of the bumper has been cut, so that the receiver isn't as low down as it might otherwise have been.

image.png.e8f75437be9f1053b10a2072afc16590.png 

Hers's a view with the bike rack attached. Looks like the bikes won't get into the field of vision in any important way.

image.png.d8d8146cd9f1dd58ffcd9b7eb2d336b7.png