Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

2016 pickup truck of the year competition has started...

Titan XD is in the mix. Days 1and 2 completed. Go to trucktrend.com if interested.

Love to see a van of the year competition. NVs would likely come out on top.

Edited by radin2son

So far I've heard nothing negative about the XD yet, other than it's a little on the heavy side. All the reviews seem to love the drivetrain, and I've heard even the interior beats the domestics.... That's awesome!

Hard to tell how the NV would score in a van competition. It's undoubtedly the best in it's class, but wih all the girly euro-vans out now with better mpgs, more car-like chassis, and super tall and long boxes, it's such a hard comparison....

"Girly Euro-vans"  Crack me up!  Ironically, all the reasons why I chose the NV are the same reasons "Girly men" rate it lower.  "Too truck like, too rough of a ride, too sparse of an interior, too big of an engine, too long of a nose, too heavy".

Nissan should reclassify the NV as a truck with a fully enclosed accessible bed.

Edited by KMG

I totally agree. I think of the NV more like a Suburban with actual useable space more than anything else. The wife calls it the "Van-urban";)

Truck Trend really liked the NV high top they had for long term testing, so KMG's reasons would put it on top. The only criticism would be the "hard surfaces" in the interior. Isn't that one of the things that makes it a truck? The other criticism was the lack of a visor vanity mirror. Good thing in our opinion after too many weeks in our NV.

Best reaction was a Ford PU 4x4 driver at a red light in Laguna Beach, where everyone is stopped next to each other going in opposite directions (If you have been in Laguna Beach you have been stopped at that light.) and yelled "Is that the new Ford?" "No it's a Nissan." He gave us the thumbs up." In Seal Beach a pedestrian wanted to look at a van that was a real truck...

Edited by radin2son

If you watch the TV show "American Pickers" you will see Ford sponsors the show and they drive a new Transit.  But if you watch closely the camera crew drives a high roof NV.  My guess it's for the hauling/towing capabilities. 

I had my hands on the new titan last week.  I was never impressed with the picture of the van (edit: silly me, vans on the brain...TRUCK) and had low expectations from a looks standpoint.  I must say, in person it looks very nice.  Interior was beautiful.  Didn't even sound like a diesel.  

We have had decent interest in it to date.  We will see how it pans out!

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager

I think the Titan XD will probably win this. TT likes brand new truck introductions and has shown quite a few videos. The SEMA (aftermarket) measurement video was interesting.

Still waiting for the SEMA NV.

Regarding NVs, TT's NV averaged 14 mpg. They also had a Sprinter for long term testing, and they were not happy with mpg results. If I recall correctly, it was 16-17 mpg. Take this, NV's price advantage, towing (this impressed the SMB Ford guys) and all the truck qualities... Maybe TT will get around to a van comparison.

I considered the Transit but it was too van like.  Choosing one make over others doesn't reflect negatively on the other models.  If I need to plow a field, I'd choose a Clydesdale over a Shetland but they are both nice horses.  

Edited by KMG

Talk about product placement. TT is using a NV high top, with great graphics to haul all their gear.

The Titan XD got 17.7 mpg. 4x4 testing today.

Edited by radin2son

I think the Titan XD will probably win this. TT likes brand new truck introductions and has shown quite a few videos. The SEMA (aftermarket) measurement video was interesting.

Still waiting for the SEMA NV.

Regarding NVs, TT's NV averaged 14 mpg. They also had a Sprinter for long term testing, and they were not happy with mpg results. If I recall correctly, it was 16-17 mpg. Take this, NV's price advantage, towing (this impressed the SMB Ford guys) and all the truck qualities... Maybe TT will get around to a van comparison.

I haven't read the article and don't know what model sprinter your talking about but that mpg figure on the sprinter would be well low of what any of my customers got.  Even the 3500 dually was 20mpg.

It's just not worth the hassle though for diesel.  In Chicago I had a printed list of gas stations brands in Illinois that customers "should" go to and "should not" go to.  Bad diesel is prolific in the midwest, specifically Illinois.  Was so bad in the country, and among other issues, Mercedes stopped importing diesels into the country a few years back for all vehicles but the sprinter.

I could make a very very strong argument for a diesel 10 years ago for almost any van buyer but now it's a real hard argument all buyers, with possibly the exception of a fed ex vehicle or long distance courier.  I would not buy diesel right now, but that's just me.

This is why I do not think we see a Cummins NV.  But who knows.

My memory was off on the Sprinter. After 20,000 miles, they averaged 18.6 mpg. (This is in the range RICK got with his Sprinter 12-14 or 18-21 mpg depending on whether or not RICK doubles or triples his NV mpg figure.) The eye opener was almost $1200 for 2 oil changes.

I've never had any problems with our "overt" '05 diesel VW polluter or with fuel in AZ, NM and CA. If I were going to buy a Titan XD, I would opt for the gas version. The "new" regular Titan has yet to debut, so it might be worth a look.

Truck Trend used to be a good site until they merged it with all their publications. It is just too busy and takes too long to download.

Did you check out "The Delivery" video?

9th Truckumentary is out. Towing and 4wheeling in AZ. Take a look at the shift lever; it looks like it has "tow mode," only a little flashier. If it is, I hope the engineers paid attention to recent posts.

Edited by radin2son

Started... and ended with the Chevy Colorado diesel being the 2016 truck of the year. Current Motor Trend has the info. Titan XD's problem was low mpg, 17+ mpg vs 20++ for the Chevy.

Actually this was Motor Trend's pick. Truck Trend chose the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500. Why?

TT also has info on the 390 hp gas Titan XD. Will this show up in the NV?

Edited by radin2son

Totally different class of truck if they want to complain of gas mileage.  Its like a Ford Ranger vs a F250 or a Corolla vs. a Avalon.

I have seen quite a few complaints about gas mileage though from early testing.  It just weighs a lot with the beefy steel frame and that motor/transmission.  Mileage and towing stats are no better than many normal gas 1/2 T trucks.  The driving experience may be nicer with all that torque but the numbers are quite similar.

Perhaps, but most of the tested trucks were not in the same class. MT or TT's premise is to test what is "all" new on the market. Ford owners were incensed there were no Fords. It is more of a gimmick that unless your truck was #1 will be quickly forgotten.

It would have been a good intro for the Titan XD with a quoted $41k msrp.

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but has anyone seen the new Titan on the road? I haven't unless I thought they were Fords. The local dealer has 4. Well beyond what I would pay for a truck, unless it seats 4 and sleeps 4.

I have seen one and it had out of state plates!  It wasnt even the diesel model.  This was just a few days ago too.  My NV dealer has a few on the lot.  Sat in a mid range XD and it was really nice inside.  I think it was $56K so it should be nice!

I have seen several reviews that say Nissan missed the mark by a lot with the XD.  It weighs nearly as much as a 3/4 T truck but doesnt have the same capabilities.  It has the same horsepower as a diesel 3/4 T / 1T truck did several years ago and the tow rating is only a couple hundred pounds off a new F150.  The final issue is MPG isnt far off the big motors of the domestics while offering way less torque and power.  The XD is like a 5/8T truck.  A wee bit more than a 1/2 but not quite a 3/4 T but it costs the same as a 3/4 T Domestic. 

Now the new Titan V8 is getting good reviews.  Excellent HP/TQ and very good transmission.  I still want that motor in my NV.  

They did a "towing up grade" test on pick ups. Four trucks, ram, ford, chev and old Titan. The Titan and ford out towed the other two, Chevy was last.

It doesn't matter to me, I will stick with Nissan if I go a truck. And yeah, on vans, I'd vote on NV's too