Sign in to follow this  
ASD Dad

Finally weighed my camper and why you should too.

So as much as I know weighing is extremely important I had not gotten around to doing my camper yet.  I knew I was way under capacity so it wasnt high on my list.  Well today I had to go pick it up from the dealer for some warranty work and about 10 miles farther away was a truck stop with a CAT scale so I drove up there before heading home.

My 2015 Hyperlite 27HFS Toyhauler from Forest River has a DRY sticker weight of 6400 pounds.  

Before taking delivery we filled both propane tanks, installed a battery and added a second bunk/sofa bed to the garage.

The camper is currently loaded for a short camping trip minus some extra clothes and food.

Weight as it sits now - 7300 pounds

Tongue weight - 1100 pounds

Most people add in about 1000# and we are almost dead on.

I am well under the axle weights on the NVP and the camper still has over 2000# of carrying capacity left so it's also well under weight.  What bothers me is that tongue weight.  It's right at 15% which is good but it's high the the receiver on the NVP even with our Blue Ox.  The issue is all toyhaulers are supposed to be carrying "toys" which all go in the rear garage and that takes weight off the tongue.  All we have in the garage are two bunks, our grill and some misc storage stuff.  I think I will add some more storage back there and move my tools and heavy stuff from the front storage to the rear.  

The biggest take away is this - NEVER rely on sales people at the camper dealer or the DRY weight on the brochure or sticker.  We pack fairly light as we just dont need to take that much with us even with three little kids, we're camping to go camping outdoors.  We dont spend much time in the camper, we want the kids out exploring and we go with them.  We did add in the extra bed so that was probably 100# as it's a steel frame under it but other than that it's packed "normal".  If we were going on a long trip we could easily add another couple hundred pounds with extra clothes, our bicycles, and lots of food (we try not to eat out at all).  

So - weigh your camper!  It took very little time and was cheap.  If you are not sure how there are plenty of sites online and blogs that explain it all.

I know there are some on here with campers way over my weight and I'd love to see their weights posted...  As well as the NV could be pulling and carrying those loads I bet they are really pushing the ratings if not way over.

Edited by ASD Dad

Did you weigh the whole setup with the WD hitch? Remember that the WD hitch will distribute the tounge weight to the front axle, this counters the amount of tounge weight. The problem with high tounge weight, as you probably know, is that it takes weight off of the front axle causeing poor steering and braking. If the weight on the front axle is adaquate with the WD hitch installed, I wouldn't worry about the tounge weight very much.