mahu

Chipped Paint on Hood from Small Rocks

I gave our van a good scrub the other day to get all the salt and dirt off following recent snow and ice around Lake Tahoe.

Discovered a small "ding" on the front side of the hood where a rock must have hit us. Probably the size of a pea. The paint is gone all the way to the bare metal.

Recommendations on how to fix it? Has anyone tried to repair paint chips themselves using a paint pen or Dr. Color Chip? Or best to let the professionals do it? Price?

post-1085-0-82941000-1449849860_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-95410100-1449849863_thumb.jpg

Ouch.  That is big chip.

If you fix with touch up paint it is possible but will require multiple layers.  Since it is not flat the paint will want to run out as well so apply thin layers.  Once built up you would need to wet sand it flush with surrounding paint and feather the edges.  Then wet sand the area to get it all uniform, polish it and possibly apply some clear coat.  If you do the clear you'll need to sand and feather it again before polishing.  Dont use a paint pen, that area is too deep.  Get the factory touch up paint with the open end with a brush in it and very lightly dab it in there and smooth to build layers.  

Above is if you want it took as close to factory as possible.  If you dont mind a small blob just touch it up in layers and get it as close as you can to leveled.  

Regardless you want to seal it up quickly if you have salt in the area.  Before you paint rub that area down with denatured alcohol and let dry completely.  Make sure the paint around it is solid as well and wont flake.

A body shop would sand that area down first to feather those edges and then prime, paint, wet sand, clear and polish all while blending in to the surrounding area.  

EDIT: forgot to mention, if you decide to go it on your own there are lots of videos online and step by step guides.  Sounds like a lot of work and it can be but none of it is "hard" if you take your time.  I'll warn you that wet sanding can look scary with the paint hazing over and will look awful.  Once polished out it will look as good or better than the surrounding paint.

Edited by ASD Dad

Thank you very much for that very detailed description and all the suggestions! Yes, it's quite deep indeed. Can't even recall when it happened though we hear quite a few rocks hitting us.

Hah, you say it's not hard...but I barely passed art class back in high school in Germany so we'll see if I dare do it myself or bring it to the shop. How much do you think a body shop would charge? We only have $100 deductible on the comprehensive coverage so anything above that would be covered I suppose.

And I think after this is fixed I'll get some kind of protective coating to avoid these kind of chips in the future.

I honestly dont know what it would cost.  I used to watch and help out at a friends shop and the shop for the dealership I worked just for the learning experience.  This was all many years ago though!  I'd ask friends if they have any recommended shops or ask the dealership if they offer that service.  

I wouldnt make an insurance claim.  Those ding you in their eyes and can raise rates or make it harder to get renewed.  I dont see it being all that much more than your deductible unless you had them redo the whole front of the hood to blend.

They make some decent clear rock/chip guard films you can apply.  It's like heavy duty self stick clear vinyl.  Sort of like the non-glass screen protectors for phones.  The body shop can apply a spray rock guard as well, it is a thick coating of clear with a rubberizer added so it has some give.  It sort of looks like thick orange peel though.  Some factory cars have that in front of the rear wheel well or along the lower rocker panel.

Most dealerships have on sight paint repair mobile units that can do this repair.  I'd go to your local nissan dealership to see who they use on the lot, approach the guy on the side and offer him $100.

He will sand, prime paint clear.  It is your best option next to a body shop.

If you use your van the way you intend, particularly on the road to Alaska, you will get many rock dings. Buy the factory touch up paint and keep in your van when you travel.

Touch it up as best you can mostly to prevent corrosion. You will always know the ding is there, but no one else will.

Yesterday, I bought the Dupli-Color, brush and pen, at O'Reilly's for $14.99. They didn't have very many Nissan colors, probably indicative of Nissan's market share. You may have to go to the dealer unless you have an auto specialty paint shop.

12/12 Much different that the last touch up paint I bought. Primer/paint in one, plus a container of clear coat. Looks like a rocket ship and No instructions on how to open it. There is a code to get you to web page instructions, but it wants too much info before you can get what you want. Gave up and opened up the paint/brush. Too cold to do much other than add a dab of paint, but the color (brilliant silver) is darker. Probably didn't shake it enough. We'll see how it dries. Color match close, but will need multiple applications.

Edited by radin2son