Rickf191

TIMBREN Suspension Enhancement

Anyone have any experience with their products ?  I'm looking at their NRNVHD kit for towing my 24' enclosed car trailer. I have some sag in my 2500. Towed with Ford E-350 for years with no problems. Thanks

Used them for 4 years on my Tundra towing various campers. Most half ton trucks have suspensions tuned for ride comfort and not hauling so I had a lot of sag/bounce even with my WD hitch setup perfectly. They worked fantastically. When unloaded you'll never know they're installed unless you go over a speed bump or similar. Loaded they took all bounce and sag away. I prefer them to airbags or springs. They're dead simple with nothing to fail and they're quiet.

I'm actually considering them for my 3500. I've got a heavy tongue weight with the toy hauler

Used them for 4 years on my Tundra towing various campers. Most half ton trucks have suspensions tuned for ride comfort and not hauling so I had a lot of sag/bounce even with my WD hitch setup perfectly. They worked fantastically. When unloaded you'll never know they're installed unless you go over a speed bump or similar. Loaded they took all bounce and sag away. I prefer them to airbags or springs. They're dead simple with nothing to fail and they're quiet.

I'm actually considering them for my 3500. I've got a heavy tongue weight with the toy hauler

Thank's ASD Dad. Ordered a set from Summit Racing. $287 shipped with the racers discount. I will have some feedback after I install them. Rick

Do a review when you get them installed!  On my Tundra installation took all of 45 minutes and that was with one of my little guys helping.  That's a great price, lowest I have found was around $305 shipped.  

I've got a 1000 mile tow coming up in two weeks (going to FL and back) which will be my longest in the NV so far.  I plan on loading up my TH differently to see if I can get some weight off the tongue but I'll be interested to hear how they work out for you.

Please give us some feedback once you've used them for awhile.

I had air bags on my old Chevy 1 ton van. They worked very well when I towed my 32 ft 4 ton trailer. Trailer had a tongue weight of 1800 lbs. Air bags are more maintenance intensive for sure. So I would like to see how these work out.

That's why I picked them over air bars or springs.  The Timbrens is just a big hollow block of rubber.  Nothing to fail.  Air bags you need to worry about leaks.  Helper springs like Supersprings can squeak or rattle like crazy.  I have heard decent things about Roadmaster springs but they're always under tension so ride is affected as well as ride height.  When empty the Timbrens should still have a small amount of clearance so the ride is totally stock unless you hit a bump big enough to compress the suspension to make contact.  Timbrens arent adjustable (although some have had varying degrees of success trying) but they're simple and reliable.

Received the Timbrens from Summit. Installed in 20 min. Took more time to jack up and set jack stands. My van is loaded for work. The van sat an 1 1/2" lower in the back. Measuring wheel well opening. after install van sits perfectly level. Did not change the ride performance at all. Next test trailering. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the information.  So with the load you carry for work the Timbrens are always in contact and they raised your rear ride height by 1 1/2"?  Continually being in contact didn't change ride quality?  

yes they are in constant contact. Ride comfort is the same. A little more firm but not really noticeable.

Looking forward to a towing report.  Just got back from over 1200 miles of towing our camper and I think I need stiffer spring bars or the Timbrens to get the rear of my van up a bit.

I have had these installed for 4 months and I think the ride is much worse with them. Every little bump is noticeable and the roads in Iowa and Missouri it feels like you are constantly bouncing. I also notice a lot more interior popping and creaking since I installed them. I really wish they had some clearance from the axle with no load. I think I am either going to cut an inch or so off the bottom or go back to the factory ones. I haven't towed my camper with them yet but my regular trailer definitely feels a lot heavier after installing these. And it seems like my tires spin much easier in wet grass now and don't get traction with the trailer hooked up.

Timbrens are not supposed to contact anything unless there is a load on the rear suspension.  There is supposed to be some clearance, on my Tundra there was a little over an inch.  That way there is no change in ride when unloaded, I only felt them when I hit something like a speedbump.  If they are in contact you basically have a solid connection from the frame to axle and the ride would be terrible.

Traction could be an issue - they can reduce weight transfer to the rear axle.

I would email or call Timbrens and ask what the height of the part should be and if they should be in contact unloaded.  

Update - I called Timbren and they sent me shorter ( i think like 1 1/2" shorter) rubber springs to swap out and now the ride is back to what it was before i installed.  Still rougher than factory because i put a little larger AT tires on it, but definitely not as bouncy.  Havent towed yet since the change.

I installed these last week. Mine are in constant contact, but I never completely unloaded the vehicle. The rear-end sits a little higher, ride a little stiffer. I had these on my previous van also and they worked well.

Timbrens are not designed to be in contact with the frame under normal loads.  A shock absorbing bump stop eases the impact when your suspension becomes over loaded from the combination of the temporary heavy load and a force on the suspension (bump).  If your daily load is enough to cause a correct length Timbren to be in contact, you need to improve the suspension with better springs or an air bag system.

Hellwig is great.