Sign in to follow this  
nihil_perditi

Relevant notes / photos for MBNS 3.0

Some other updates (__of __):  Hardest part of seat swivel install was waiting for it to arrive.  If I recall correctly, I waited around 6 months for product to be in stock.  Not many are made due to relatively lower demand compared to a similar swivel for a sprinter.  Very happy with quality and extra space it provides.  

post-943-0-77249800-1480388881_thumb.jpg

As long as you can find space for a larger fridge, it is a good choice. Fewer stops for groceries, plus many rural areas are food deserts.

Great work.

Two things missing in these build threads are smoke and carbonmonoxide detectors. We have both. The smoke detector can be annoying when cooking but we know it works. Do you need these? I know of at least one camper van, not ours, that caught fire while the occupants were asleep. The detector prevented injuries and major damage.

Finally working on electrical - hope to have solar panels (560W) mounted soon.  Here is a photo of 200 Ah Li-ion battery connected to charge controller/ BMS:  

post-943-0-68854600-1484980130_thumb.jpg

Using 80/20 aluminum to create a rack to mount the solar panels to.  Pieces of cardboard are dimensions of actual panels - hope to have the front one pivot up when parked for ventilation & possibly a little extra charge but we will see.  

post-943-0-30544700-1484980389_thumb.jpg

560 Watts installed with pivoting panel over the pilot hatch.  With the pilot hatch almost completely covered (as pictured) a nice amount of indirect sunlight gets in without that much heat.  Unfortunately my fridge has what is most likely a coolant leaking problem so that is not up and running yet (Waiting to hear back from manufacturer).  I will now focus on installing a rack on the driver's side of the van to mount surfboards to.  The rack will consist of 80/20 aluminum and will connect to the 80/20 roof rack already installed.  Wish me luck!  

post-943-0-19573900-1486523941_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-94733300-1486523963_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-58587300-1486523977_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-74585700-1486523993_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-52433400-1486524005_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-42590300-1486524019_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-87852800-1486524035_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-70274100-1486524125_thumb.jpg

Nice build going.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by breeze

Surfboard rack up now.  This has been on van for a few weeks now and is working well.  I will add a "stabilizer" arm or two of aluminum that will come off the bottom and wrap down under to the chassis in the future for extra security.  I figured I could add some rivnuts to the body for stabilization but I am giving myself time to think about which approach I will take.  

Now I am planning the sink module so I can have running water!  It will probably take me some time (months) before I have anything I can share with regards to the sink.   :headspin:

post-943-0-01561600-1489260325_thumb.jpg

Sink module is coming together finally!  I have focused on sink and drainage as the first phase of the installation and will install the faucet and associated components (water pump, fresh water container) during the second phase.  Not pictured is a hepvo waterless p-trap that will utlimately drain to a 2.5 gallon grey water jug.  I will take more photos but wanted to share pictures showing how the sink will be able to move fore & aft.  Might sound a little crazy to have a sink that moves but I think it will work!  The primary advantage of having it move is less floor space permanently occupied by its length and width dimensions.  

IMG 6509

IMG 6508

IMG 6507

Nothing you do surprises us. Never would have thought of a moveable sink. Over a mattress? Must be the salt air...

Will you use the cabinet space underneath for your gray water?

Radin2son - I think I can best answer that question with a few photos once I have grey water tank and other components installed.  

Keep up the good work. It keeps us appreciative of new ideas...

One thing SMB did was to cover up/box most of the step considering most entry is via the grab handle. It increases floor space and adds a spot for storage. In our case, dog leashes. Another SMB uses it to store bottled water; easy access when standing outside the van.

Ive never heard of that 80/20 aluminum stuff what a great idea. Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like your solar set up, adding solar to my van will probably be my next endeavor.

Radin2son - agreed - I am thinking of building a cubby on the portion of the step that is not really used for shoe storage.  

TanStewie - thanks!  If you have any questions about 80/20 I am happy to help.  There is also some great info on working with it on the sprinter forum.

Most of the paneling installed now.  It is a pretty rigid piece of expanded pvc material (I think that is what it is called) that I saved from packaging material for the floor when it was shipped to me.  I can always replace it with something else down the line but I am happy with how it turned out.  For the front of the lower cabinet I will either have a piece of fabric as the "door/covering" or a regular type door that swings open, still thinking about it.  Also pictured is the hepvo waterless p-trap.  

IMG 6545

IMG 6546

IMG 6543

IMG 6542

IMG 6549

That hepvo water-less P trap looks like a great alternative to the standard P trap. I used the traditional P-trap on mine and it wastes a ton of space under the sink.  

One advantage you have is being able to use it for an exterior shower (?) without having to hang a flexible hose on something.

I would add a minimal back splash to the sink or cutting board/counter to keep things from escaping off and out the door.

Radin2son - yes given the way the faucet articulates I think I can swing it out for a shower which is a nice added bonus.  Thanks for the backsplash idea - I will add that to the list of finishing touches I am going to work on once I near completion of the build.