BraapRider

Buying a V6 or V8 this week

Hi all,

After driving the ford transit 3.7 (hated it), and being disappointed with the chevy express' cargo area, I drove a v6 and a v8 NV and really liked both. I'm probably purchasing a new NV this weekend, but I have a couple questions you all may be able to answer.

I didn't feel disappointed with the v6 like I thought I would, and I thought for MPG this would be what I go with (low roof). However, I see a lot of complaints that the v8 get's just as good gas mileage as the v6. If that is the case, then I'd rather go with the v8. 

I'm getting this to take on dual sport/enduro trips, but the other 95% of the time I'll be driving 70 miles a day at 65MPH.

Do I want a v6 or v8? If the gas mileage is the same, I'm going to just grab the V8.

If mpg is your only concern based on your planned use, go with the V6. It will get 17-19 mpg according to most posts. Axulsuv's 1500 gets 21+ mpg. The V8 will get 14-15 mpg. City use or towing will get you 7-10+ mpg.

Our low top 2500 camper van has averaged 15.4 mpg over the 3 years we have owned it. We went with the V8 because the conversion added 1000# and gear etc adds another 1000#.

This assumes you are getting the cargo version The NVP 2500 V6 may be under powered.

I've got the V8 and love it. Never have to dope slap myself and say "Man, I could have had a V8." :-)

I just made an offer on a V8, black, low roof. They had a V6 black low roof, but not quite the package I'm looking for. This will be a daily driver (am i crazy?), so I need my creature comforts.

You're going to love it. Best creature comfort addition we made was running boards. Best safety feature we added was glass in the slider.

I have been averaging 2000 miles a month daily driving my NVP V8 - anything from taking my kids to school to taking 1000+ mile camping trips hauling a 7600 pound camper.  No major issues at all.  I average about 14 mpg in my day to day driving and 8-9 mpg towing our camper.

14mpg, man that hurts. I'm averaging 30 in my subaru outback. I will be motorcycling to work in the summer, that should offset some of my gas expenses. Everyone at work is going to give me crap for this purchase lol. 

I'm waiting until Monday to hear back about a counter offer. 

Pic related, this is what inspired me to check out what I initially saw as the hideous white nissan nv.

13ba2125163408f1027320e248cce54cx.jpg

65375218c5b4e4daa3c89f7a92a35113x.jpg

Hi Braap ; (you must ride 2 stroke :) )

I've got a 1500 low top V6 s ...S is for stripped ! I've had since 2012 and use it for a daily driver and a sleeping spot when I haul my trials bikes around the country competing .( yeah I'm one of those go slow and never put your foot down technical rider kind of guys ...).

My V6 has met  all of my needs towing a triton aluminum bike trailer w/3 bikes and gear if my kids are with me , or 1 or 2 bikes inside if it's just me . I get low to mid 20's when out on the road either way ...

And as a single dad of 3 kids , It is my daily driver too .  I've added factory interior panels and insulation , a 2/3rds bench seat w/quick release mounts out of a E-350 (the nvp wasn't out yet when I got mine ) And the best safety feature, a window in the slider ...

I average around 18.5 mpg around town  . I run a K&N drop in air filter w/ a minor airbox mod (thanks again asddad for that one!) and 0w 20 mobile one  .But I firmly believe gas milage in these 6000lb + boxs gets all down to driving style .You've got to learn to let inertia work for you and make sure your alignment is perfect . I run 1/16th. total toe in with all the other angles @ stock specs and @ 72k I'm still waiting for the stock tires to wear out ...

Glenn B)

And PS. They've got a REAL frame underneath them !!! No unibody stuff , They are a TRUCK !!!

http://nissannvforum.com/uploads/gallery/album_10/tn_gallery_182_10_825509.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

I can't make out the plate using my phone, but is the dealer Ken Garff in Salt Lake City? Great looking NV! 4x4? I can see why it caught your eye vs the white NV. From your description, you appear to have made an offer for a 2x2. The 4x4 high too V8 does get reasonable mpg.

If is is Salt Lake, they also sell Sportsmobile conversions. "Sold" may be a better word, as I'm not sure any more have been built. But, that is another story.

Edited by radin2son

Yea, they offered me x for my trade in. I'm not pleased with it. I told them to get me closer to the difference I need to be at and I'll pick the van up this coming weekend. They're going to call me back tomorrow once the manager is in.

The offer is on a 2 wheel drive, black, low roof, V8 with the tow package and tech package. 

I really appreciate everyone's input, and while I've got an offer pending, I'd be eager to hear more!

Axulsuv, I'm riding a 4 stroke! I'd be very interested to see pictures of your bench seat set up, as I WILL be doing this, almost immediately. I've got a kid. I will probably look into what I'd need to do to add some windows, as there isn't a window on the van I'm looking to buy. (it does have the rear windows)

Of the 8 dealers who sold NV SMBs, KG set the highest price by almost $10K for the conversion. Since there was online info regarding the NV invoice etc, there was little he could do to jack up the NV price. He did on dealer installed options. We didn't try to deal with KG. An early poster from Salt Lake didn't either; bought a high top SMB from a SoCal dealer.

Fortunately for you, the tow package is included with the V8. Not sure if the tech package is included. It is worth getting as basic as it is. It works in all the cell dead zones in the west.

Good luck with your trade.

Another issue that you probably found out in researching dealers, they are far and few between. Unless you do your own service or have a good mechanic, only NV dealers can do service. This has not been a problem as NVs have few mechanical issues and dealer service has been very good.

That Black NVP is great looking!  4x4, lift kit, Aluminess rack (old ladder though), blacked out grill and bumper, LED bar...  Wonder what they were asking on that thing.  I bet it had to be close to $50K.

I've struck up a deal with the dealership. I'll be picking it up this weekend! went with the V8! It's a good drive away, I'll report on gas mileage on my trip back with'er!

Congrats on the purchase.  Post up a pic when you get it!  

Good choice. I didn't want to weigh in too heavily, as I've never driven the V6 and the V8 fuel mileage is disappointing to many, but when I bought mine the V8 was all I ever considered....

For $590 they want to sell me a resistall under coating to prevent rust. Sounds like a good idea, but is it actually worth it?

Everyone has their own opinions, to each his own. I've lived in Michigan my whole life, where they spread salt like it's the only thing the DOT has to do all winter. And the cars with undercoating die at the same rate the non-undercoated ones do. I consider them to be a waste of money....

Everyone has their own opinions, to each his own. I've lived in Michigan my whole life, where they spread salt like it's the only thing the DOT has to do all winter. And the cars with undercoating die at the same rate the non-undercoated ones do. I consider them to be a waste of money....

Yea, I don't think I'll do it. I need that 6-hundo to put toward a bench seat in the back. I'm hoping axulsuv posts some more up on what he had to go through to get that thing installed!

Hey BR. ;

I put the seat in myself , thanks to a totaled E-350 at the shop and my brand new van ... 

There are some photo's on here somewhere of the same thing only with the seats out of a mazda mpv..., pictures of mine are in my gallery, If I had to do it over again I'd spend some time in a good wrecking yard and poke about for what I wanted , But mine was free ! :) except for about 3 hr's of my time at the shop and the color was right . :)

When you find what you want , measure 3 TIMES and drill once . Make sure you measure under the floor , (the 3rd time :) 'cause there is all kinds of plumbing and wire under the floor !!!  AND MAKE SURE YOU use a GOOD DRILL BIT STOP !!! Mine had vibrated loose by the 5th hole I drilled thru the floor , and the bit snagged and plunged ... and nicked a fuel line ... on a saturday afternoon . I made a temp repair that didn't leak and spent i don't remember how much to buy the damaged section of OE. pipe along with dropping the tank to replace it .  And I have the facility's at my disposal to do such things , but still a pia !!!

Take your time ! and do it right .. When I first installed my seat I just used serious fender washers on the under side of the floor , But since the lap belts on my seat are all attached to the seat frame , I have since fired up the plasma cutter and made and installed some 3/16th  plate backup plates under the floor ...

And seat in , I can still fit 2 twinshock Trials bike in , but if you've got a ktm or some other large thumper  , plan seat spacing according ... I didn't worry about that due to my bike trailer.

Have fun and learn how to hyper mile and you'll love your van !

Glenn :hat_tip:  

And screw the undercoating , just set a sprinkler under the van once in a while in the winter , and clean the area in the fenderwells behind the OE mudflaps if you've got them , they trap crappppp, and there it sits ..wet and ugly !

Edited by axulsuv

Well I did it... I'm wondering why I'm second guessing myself, because everyone is telling me I shouldn't have/ I made a mistake, or because I'm not acclimated to driving a small bus instead of my car that can weave through traffic (I traded my car, this is it, this is my new daily). I hope I don't regret this. I do like it, I think!

post-1349-0-77304600-1455323621_thumb.jpg

Looks good! No reason that you won't love it as long as you want to!

Keene, NH is a long way from Salt Lake...

Let us know what you think of the dealership if they or another dealership do the service.

You will soon appreciate what this vehicle can do.

We only see white and silver NVs in the SW.

When did Nissan start offering "body color bumpers and grill surround." Looks sharp but not without problems per another post under Appearance.

Edit: What was I thinking... Body color bumpers? Our cargo 2012 SV is similar to the newer SL, only we had to pay for the tow package. Still the black with black is sharp looking.

Edited by radin2son

I guess the black bumper is just standard this year and I happened to end up with a black van.

Brand new, 320 miles NON STOP NOT EVEN FOR A BATHROOM BREAK, @ 65mph, -8 to 12 degrees Fahrenheit, 14.52mpg.... Yuck. Please don't let gas go back to $4 per gallon Please don't let gas go back to $4 per gallon Please don't let gas go back to $4 per gallon Please don't let gas go back to $4 per gallon Please don't let gas go back to $4 per gallon Please don't let gas go back to $4 per gallon

Brand new motor, most likely a winter blend gasoline and very cold temps.  Check your tire pressures since it is so cold as well, they could be down 10psi or more.  The MPG should go up from that but not by much in normal driving.  You're driving an old tech, big V8 inside a heavy, big, rolling box!  Some guys eek out 20mpg on the highway with the V8 but I've never been able too.  

I finally heard back from the dealer with the black 4x4 decked out NVP.  It wasnt cheap!

4x4 installed was $11,300 ,3" lift $900,$2550 rack and ladder combo,$2500 wheels and tires,Black out grill and bumpers,side rail steps $895 this is all done at Advanced 4x4 in Utah so his 4x4 is a 4 low and 4 high not like Quigley.

This is $18,000 in upgrades!