Sign in to follow this  
Great White

Camping Conversion

This is some of the photos of my camper conversion of my 3500 high top. I am living in a travel trailer full time that I pull with the NV. I didn't want to deal with tanks so I opted to make it as simple as possible to maintain while I am out on photo shoots on BLM or Forrest service lands. This is pretty basic but you get the idea. I insulated with Sound deadener floor to roof, Styrofoam, and Reflect-ix. I made some panels to bring the walls up and allow soft storage. I am using 5 gal jugs for fresh and gray water. A  butane stove for cooking. I have a 50 qt. Dometic fridge freezer. Thetford 5 gal. porta-potty. I have two 6" fans for exhaust and LED lighting throughout.  4 speaker stereo set up that will also play movies. I have wired it all to a 100 watt Renogy solar panel and have a Vtank 151 amp hour battery to start. I will expand the solar with a folding 100 watt kit and a second AGM battery. I have a Ctek charger for back up. I replaced the bed mat with a Bed Rug for comfort. the beds are Disco Beds. They are used in the military and aid relief. They are 80 X 40 and each will hold 500 lbs. Very comfortable and can be used for storage. I know this looks spartan compared to other rigs but I wanted less to worry about and have room to move around in it. The fridge will set on the console when camping to make floor space. I'm using a 30 amp 25 ft. three outlet extension cord for land line in campgrounds.It is not finished but getting there. For a investment of under 3,000 I have a serviceable, reliable rig that I can stay out in for 7-10 days at a time.  

post-1191-0-22489500-1457650915_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-88157300-1457650932_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-75196800-1457650950_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-61906400-1457650974_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-06068800-1457650989_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-55093400-1457651003_thumb.jpg

Nicely done.  The interior matches the vehicle.  Function and form over fashion!  Thanks for posting

Very impressive! Well done!

Looks good.

Are you traveling alone? I ask, because you have a quite the bin between seats. The other reason is lack of privacy when using your Thetford if you have a traveling companion.

We are at Tuttle Creek, a BLM campground in the Alabama Hills, Eastern Sierras (CA). It has 8 or 9, 2 seater pit toilets and only 1 to 3 potable water spigots for 81 sites. Last night at Wild Rose (in Death Valley National Park) campground, There was 1 pit toilet for 23+ sites and 1 water spigot. Many more people were there however, as the other campgrounds weren't open yet.

So, it all comes down to what you consider a priority.

Edited by radin2son

I'm married but I go off by myself at times. I will be installing a snap curtain to the front bulkhead just before the shelf. Privacy is a concern but blocking windows and the curtain will help. The pit toilets can be great and not so great. I was in Sedona in the winter....Cold!! Pit toilet was not fun. My wife didn't want to have to leave the van at night. Being a boy is not as crucial about facilities. It is more for emergencies as far as i'm concerned. You are right about traveling companions. I only go with her so it is not an issue. Everyone's comfort zone is different.   

Those Disc-0-beds are a great idea!

Looks great. Mine also is a simple build with a bed platform. Have done several 6-10 day outtings solo or with my wife and no issues!

Do you move he fridge down to the floor when moving?

I wonder if the console could be removed from the van, and you use the Dometic fridge as the console?  Would you be able to step over the fridge to get to the back?  It looks pretty big.