Jeremie Conley

New 2016 NV Passenger Owner

My family is the new owner (or rather the bank is) of a new 2016 NV Passenger! First new vehicle we have ever owned. We went with the silver. So far we LOVE it. With 4 young boys and a large (boy) dog, we thought the NV was a bit overkill, yet when considering a suburban or another minivan, we felt it was only logical to choose the NV because we also regularly (need to) transport other family members, friends, cargo, etc. Minivans and Suburbans are a challenge due to accessibility and space, especially with adults and older children. The NV is something we will grow into. The only challenge we have run into so far is the insurance. I called our SAFECO agent the other day to add the van. I didn't have the VIN but they came back with only $28 more a month as an estimate. After we bought the van, I gave them the VIN, and now the policy has almost doubled! I discovered this only tonight, which prompted me to register on this forum to search for help. I will be contacting the agent tomorrow to see what the situation is. I may be looking for a new provider and searching for advice on this forum. My thanks to Nissan for taking the leap of faith and creating this van. They were indeed correct in thinking there is a segment of population out there in need of a van like the NV. Love the warranty, the styling, and the expected durability of this van. I anticipate it being a much more reliable purchase than our previous 2005 Chevy Uplander with (only) 132,000 miles. My personal fantasy is to see that van be crunched up by one of those crunchers at the scrap yard. Actually that may be too good of a death for it. Need to think of something more macabre....

Many insurance companies classify the NV as "commercial", and I'm guessing that's your hangup. I had Ameriprise with our old van, and they wouldn't insure the NV. But I looked into Progressive, and not only would the insure the NV, but they did it cheaper than Ameriprise did with our GM Savana.

Good choice, happy travels! We have 4 young girls, and they love our van!

I agree with andy above.  They most likely are classifying it as a 1 Ton commercial vehicle.  Talk to an agent and see if you can straighten it out or just move on.  There are so many insurance companies out there!  We have had Traveler's for 10+ years and really like them.  Insurance only went up slightly vs. my old Toyota Tundra.  We use them for our home as well.  Never had an issue with claims and rates never went up due to a claim.  Even had to file for a total loss when an uninsured illegal T-Boned my wife's Highlander and rolled her over 1-1/2 times (she walked away from the accident!).  No issues at all.

I will say one thing - I got nowhere with SC Taxes.  We pay property tax on our vehicles vs. a sales tax when buying it.  The NV is classified as a true 1 Ton/commercial use vehicle so my taxes went up vs. the truck.  Same as with an Excursion. I'm curious if the Transit 350 series are classified as the same.  

Ok so I am having the same issue. My NV of course is converted with 4x4, and added accessories so I am having trouble insuring the vehicle with coverage for the cost of the NV plus upgrades. Safeco (which I have been with for 10 years) wouldn't insure it, my agent found coverage through travelers and they will insure the $41K vehicle and $20K in upgrades. Yes my premium went up about $60/month from the suburban. And they have had trouble running a VIN number because the vehicle is too new or something. But all in all travelers is now the owner of all 4 of my vehicles and no longer safeco.

I had the same thing happen with GIECO, talked to a Am Family guy. Mine is a cargo converted. It's insured as a commercial vehicle as all NV cargo or passenger are for them. I pay $65.00 a month. Beats $235. GIECO wanted, that I was with for years. My other cars are cheaper too.

My NV hightop IS actually used commercially, but has not been insured as such. I pay about as  much as I did for my old Ford E-250: $750 every six months. I’ve done some upgrades to the interior, so to cover those, I will have to change to commercial coverage, which will only cost about $160 more per year.