centralline

Rear Locker - Titan XD

I have confirmed from Nissan Commercial that the Nissan Titan XD uses the NV 3500 rear end (model MA 248 rear differential) so the GKN built Titan XD locker should fit. Has anyone made any progress with getting the part and retrofitting the locker into the NV 3500?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

That is cool info.  I could be interested in doing this as I have gotten stuck with my 2WD NVP camping once already and almost another time.  Wet southern clay has zero traction!  Those giant tow hooks came in handy that day.  At bare min I am replacing my highway Firestone stock tires with something that has more grip in dirt and gravel.  

EDIT: Did you get a price?  From a quick search it looks like the locker alone is around $1000 plus all the seals, shims, etc and labor.  Saw some old threads on Titan talk that it is hard to even get the GKN locker other than through a dealer which would drive the price up even more.

Edited by ASD Dad

Don't all the Nv's use the same rear end ? , except for gear ratio's ?

And if one of those would work , it could be installed in a couple hours , without removing the carrier from the housing , just get out the jackstands , slide the axles out a inch or two and yank the cross pin and spiders ....

May be worth a phone call or two to find out ! 

But for you guys that tow some weight , a Detroit , grizzly or a zip locker may be a better choice , And I'd be willling to bet the GKN piece is only available from Nissan as a complete unit , so gonna be quite pricey !!!

On edit ; This is about all I could find for lockers  , Now to determine exactly what our rear end is shared with ...

https://www.ringpinion.com/DiffWizard.aspx    'cause with a tow vehicle , a switchable locker is just about a necessity , so you can turn at low speed and not eat rear tires and or have real bad understeer at speed !

Glenn:) 

Edited by axulsuv

It is not shared with anything. 

Nobody makes a locker for it, other than Nissan, and nobody has yet tried swapping one in. 

I have been discussing it off and on with Advanced 4x4 in SLC. He is interested in getting one to try, but it's not been available yet, and he is swamped with normal work. 

In the NV Drift video they state they added a LSD to the van (along with a hydraulic handbrake).  Not sure if Nissan modded it for the shoot or the production company modded it.  Either way it worked quite well from the footage!  

More conversations with Advanced 4x4, locker still not available to test out yet. The titan XD has a different axle width. The only part that's likely swappable will be the differential. 

Maybe next year. 

Edited by dented

Hi,

Has there been any updates about a locker for the NV?

Thanks

Before an investment on this is made the traction control shuts off automatically on my Frontier with factory lockers. Also it may be easier and cheaper just to pull the entire axle housing and replace it than to shim the gearing in the old housing using a dial indicator etc.etc as that may take several assemble/disassemble in the process. Last time I checked on the price of that was around 1500/2000 bucks and that was a few yrs back.

On 3/30/2016 at 9:03 AM, dented said:

It is not shared with anything. 

Nobody makes a locker for it, other than Nissan, and nobody has yet tried swapping one in. 

I have been discussing it off and on with Advanced 4x4 in SLC. He is interested in getting one to try, but it's not been available yet, and he is swamped with normal work. 

Could there be light at the end of the locking rear differential tunnel?  In trying to order some parts, I came across a single clue...the rear differential gasket part number AND diff cover are listed as also fitting a slew of 2022 Titans...I am running out the door but perhaps there is hope for rear axle modifications on the way, either via Nissan parts or aftermarket, or perhaps we will forever be in limbo, as there was a recent report that the titans are disappearing in 2024.  Time will tell, but this seems like a glimmer of hope and the first sign of life for this topic in 4 years.  :cuemysticalmusic:

- laf

Look at the axle shafts on the locker/non-locker XDs.  I recall they are different lengths.  The GNK locker is known for having offset spider gears to fit the locker on one side.  What this will mean is the 8-lug axles won't fit the locker.  You will need custom made axle shafts with the length matched to the locker and the wheel side matched to the van. 

It can be done, but it isn't easy.  And will need expensive custom made parts.

Advanced said they could do it but would run me about 4K…

So the Titan XD is a completely different rear end.  Based on the compatibility chart that I posted (which could be a nissan misprint,) it looks like the actual NV rear end has found it's way into the '22+ Titan.  Sure...you'd have to swap axles to stay 8 lug and the track width is likely narrower but, theoretically, all the innards would work with custom axles, which you would have built anyway.  I'd expect to spend less than a grand for custom cut axles, plus about a grand for the LSD or locker with install kit/fluid/etc.  Running out the door again, but yukon or branik seem the most likely for axles.  We'll see...I was pretty impressed with how the E-trac or whatever they call it did on the beach.

That's the open diff.  Now check Titan axle shafts between locker and non-locker.  Bet you will find different part numbers, and lengths.  If the axles are not compatible between locker and non-locker Titan rear axles it will also mean the carrier is different (splines and/or offset, I go for offset).