Hello,

We just bought a 2016 NVP SL this week and I have a question about the rearview monitor system.

There are about 5 pages in the manual that talk about the "predicted course lines" and how to use them, turn them on/off, etc. The predicted course lines are the ones that are supposed to change as the steering wheel is turned while backing up. I only have the static lines that do not move and no "predictive" button in the nav settings menu like the manual says should be there. 

Does anyone have the predicted course lines on their van? 

Thanks.

Jared

One more item in the manual I never saw or understood, more likely my eyes never crossed those 5 pages. It is time to consult manual man, JBharlin.

Supposedly, Nissan upgraded the nav, but I don't see how they are connected other than sharing the screen.

Is it possible that this feature is in the instrument cluster, and you turn it off the same way you disable the rear sensors when towing?

I have never done much with the BU Cam, except use it as factory setup.  It works great for me as is and is certainly better than anything I have ever had, since I have never owned a vehicle with a BU Cam.  If there are 5 pages in the manual, then there must be a lot of setup options???

I haven't looked at the instrument cluster settings. I'll have to check that.

Nothing in the instrument cluster settings menu. The manual reads like it should be in the nav radio settings menu, but it only has "guidelines", not "predictive course lines".

Anyone have a 2016 with nav that can check this out?

This video explains it better than the manual. . .  :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNgqvc5-_tM

You can also pickup a PDF of the Navigation System here. . .

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptog.aspx?dept_id=166http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptog.aspx?dept_id=166

Edited by JB Harlin

I also have a 2016 NVP SL and do not have the predicted course lines as mentioned in the owner's manual. If I am not mistaken, we had test driven a different 2016 van when buying ours and it DID have the course lines. Can't remember for certain though.

Thanks guys. It appears, from looking at owner's manuals, that the predicted lines are an addition for 2016. Maybe it was a running change that our van didn't get since it was built in January, 2016.

I think it should have a steering angle sensor for the stability control. Maybe this could be as simple as a software update.

I plan to contact the dealer next week to find out if it can be added. I'll update when I find out more.

We have a 2016 and I will have to check to see if it has the predicated lines. . . never noticed.

Checked today and we do not have predicted course feature???

Edited by JB Harlin

In the video, there is a "camera" button. It may be safe to assume that its absence in 2016 NVs means no pedicted lines. If it is there, there may be hope for an update.

Give Nissan Commercial a call and they may be able to tell you if an upgrade is possible. I doubt the dealer could without calling their rep.

In the interim, you will just have to continue to use these great mirrors...

I'll give an update on the issue. I called Nissan Commercial and they basically told me that they don't provide technical support directly to the consumer. They assigned a case # and directed me to the closest Nissan dealer, which is not a Commercial dealer, to have it checked out. I questioned whether they were able to work on the NVP and they said it would be no problem.. I wanted this to work because our commercial dealer is nearly 2 hours away while the non-commercial dealer is only about 45 minutes. However, I was skeptical.

I made an appointment on a day when I needed to be in town anyway. Upon arrival, they told me that they don't normally work on these and weren't sure about the camera system. They did offer to gather some information and call me back later. No big deal as I was in town anyway. In the end, they think that if the predicted course lines aren't there, they can't be added. It was pretty much a waste of time as I expected.

I do need to visit my original dealer for some work that they owe me. I will have them look into it before I put it to bed for good.

Radin2son - You're right. The mirrors are very good. I just want to know why I don't have the feature the owner's manual spends so much time explaining. 

@jaredg What did you find out about the Predictive Parking on the NVP 3500 SL? We have the same issue with the predictive lines not appearing. Unfortunately we are having a little more of a challenge parking the NV at times.  :noobie:

Mdknapp - No update yet. I have not been back to the dealer since taking delivery - which is a good thing. I'm going to try to get there in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting. I'll update this thread after.

Edited by jaredg

I have a 2016 NVP 3500 SV, manufactured in 11/16.  The course lines can be turned on and off by pressing the camera button, but they don't respond at all to the steering wheel.  They always point straight back.

I downloaded the 2017 manual and it doesn't say anything about predictive course lines.  I wonder if they weren't ever a feature in 2016 , but the manual just didn't get updated until 2017.

Mine operates just like yours does, Mark. I'm still going to ask about it if I ever get back to the dealer. :)

It's interesting that it's not in the 2017 manual. Maybe the manual writers got ahead of product development for 2016?

I asked my dealership and was told that the course lines aren't meant to react to vehicle steering.  The manual is wrong.

It works on some other models, so maybe they planned to add it and changed their minds. Thanks.

Wouldn't a hd rear monitor (used instead of a rear view windshield mirror) be easier to use than a grainy low resolution camera with stick  (predicted course) lines in it? 

For about the same money difference (?), would anyone rather have high-definition color night-vision camera instead, that could dual purpose for rear view windshield mirror while driving?

Is there any compelling reason, from expert user experience, to have the Nissan back up camera other than it came with the options on your year/model truck and is better than no camera at all? However, I do realize it may be better than any other oem rear view camera; but after-market electronic technology advances at a rate exponentially compared to oem vehicle one to five year model rates (even from Japan.)

Thanks!

Edited by breeze

breeze - the OEM resolution is horrible on the Nissan NV.  It is better on other Nissans (I had a new Altima and Rogue as service loaners recently) but the NV is bad.  It is just grainy and makes it hard at times to hook up a trailer.  There is also really bad flare issues if the sun is behind you or any super bright light source.  Just washes out the screen.

I think many aftermarket options would have to better than what we have on our vans.  Even though I have the factory system I am thinking of changing it out for a better one just to make hooking up our camper and utility trailer faster.  

ASD, is that the in dash system?

ASD, is that the in dash system?

Yes.  I dont think Nissan offers a rear camera that is not in dash.  It is the Nav system with backup camera.  I dont know if it is the camera or the screen on the radio that has such terrible resolution.  It's just bad.  Works just fine to see if anyone or thing is behind you but that is about it.

Thanks.  Will have to investigate that when I'm looking at the NV this spring.