mahu

Remove cargo lights

This might have already been answered in the forum but I can't find it.

How hard is it in terms of wiring to remove the three cargo area lights? They don't do much in terms of illumination and will just get in the way of my insulation and break up my wood ceiling.

I assume the three lights branch off the main cable strand going to the alternator in the back, roght? Is it a simple job of taking off the light fixtures, cutting the wires where they come out of the main cable and insulate their ends? Or would that causes problems? Sorry if these are dumb questions, new to the electrical stuff, glad when I can move on to woodwork :-)

I did what you are suggesting with no problem three years on.

I did decide to keep the very back light above the rear doors for an emergency light (but I usually keep it switched off). I repositioned it after the ceiling was installed.

May I suggest unplugging the lights, leave the pigtail for possible future use, and wrap the pigtail ends.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Glad to hear it's and easy mod!

My plan is to use the front light wiring to supply an outside LED light over the sliding door, the rear for an outdoor LED light over the rear doors, and use the center wiring to supply an indoor LED ceiling light.  Any thoughts? Suggestions?  Thanks

I would opt for an interior LED light over the back door area. With the doors open, it will give you enough light immediately behind the van.

Same for the porch light over the slider. We find that the outside area is illuminated by interior lights, more so with the door open, obviously...

My thoughts generally are motivated by less on the outside of the van the better.

We have the door activated lights off and have no cargo lights. Are the cargo lights activated by the slider and rear doors? If so, this is an easy way to get short term lighting and put the rest on the house batteries.

I wouldn't cut any wires. Just bundle them up like me the factory does:

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

I added a 5' strip of LED's down the middle of my 2500 cargo van. I tapped into the existing wiring, leaving the factory lights installed and working. I just flipped the switches to off, but they are there if I ever need them.

One problem.....now my front light in the van (not the cargo area) does not work. Looking at the schematics, if one has voltage, all of them should. I checked for voltage at the connector and it was 0 with the door open. Does anyone know where the front light harness ties into the main harness? I may have messed it up when pulling wires for my front and rear cameras.