mahu

Charley Conversion Summer 2016

Took the floor mat out then used DAP Latex floor leveler and spread it into the gaps between the ridges in the floor. Took a lot more than expected, in total about 5 Gallons at $20 a pop. but it dried nicely and on too of that we put rattletrap then plywood and then the floor. quite the sandwich but we want to do it right once and be done with it.

u could probably put plywood on top of the mat but it might come up rather high.

after lots of sanding and priming the inside looks like this.

started the bed frame and kitchen counter. more on that soon.

post-1085-0-08628200-1471672871_thumb.jpg

kitchen counter is shaping up and had a test fitting with fridge and stove today.

post-1085-0-68703900-1472102822_thumb.jpg

two out of three ceiling panels are up.

post-1085-0-57829800-1472183804_thumb.jpg

Looking great. I will get back after mine when it cools off some. 

built a nice wood trim around the sliding door mechanism bump that sticks out and made some nice transitions from metal to wood panelling around the sliding door.

solar panels are going up Tuesday.

I guess August was optimistic to get it all done but end of september should work out.

bedframe is last major building project and then it's hooking things up and painting.

post-1085-0-35239400-1472445261_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-10200400-1472445316_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-94433900-1472445358_thumb.jpg

and we got solar power! 2x100W are up and connected.

As a little bonus i took care of that ugly white fan casing color. Nothing a bit of custom automotive spraypaint couldnt fix. 4 layers plus 3 clear coat.

Also replaced the dome shaped lid with a flat lid which dometic sent for free. reduces road wind noise a lot and reduces noticabity of the fan a lot as it is 2 inches lower now. what do u think?

post-1085-0-45575900-1472693148_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-72583300-1472693176_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-17601700-1472693197_thumb.jpg

Nice work! You're really getting there.

thanks! bed platform is the last major construction project and then it's the home stretch cleaning things up.

That is looking really nice.  You have some skill!  Cant wait to see it finished and hear how it all works out in use.  

Nice project.  Your skills have produced a quality build.  Thanks for sharing.  What solar system are you using and how is it wired to the vehicle and service battery bank?

Looks great!  Do you mind sharing details regarding what junction box (if that is what it is called) you utilized on the roof?  I am still not too sure the best way to run my wires to my van's interior.  Thanks, 

Try Heyco.  They have quality products.  www.heyco.com

Heyco.pdf

thanks for all the kind words! Excited to enter the home stretch and get it done by the end of the month. days are already getting colder up here in Tahoe so gotta get this done.

@nihil

we used a combiner box from AM Solar that came as part of a package.

after doing a ton of research and pricing out individual components vs buying a package we accepted that the ease of having everything delivered from one source and the benefits that come with an experienced place like AM solar outweigh thr surcharge of probabaly 20% compared to buying individual components. We went with the mid-level package re charge controler, wire gauges, etc.

Out of town for a few days, I ll post some pictures of thr system when we are back.

Also, we are getting a puppy! Picking him/her out tomorrow. It'll be a darker colored Golden Retriever named Mango. I ll post pics of that as well. :-)

Mango will love your van and adventures: 24/7 of togetherness. You may not be aware that dogs are not particularly welcome in national parks and some monuments. They are welcome in campgrounds but not on trails...

Desert Dawg, not our dogs, has a good blog post on this. Be sure to check out the video "man" made for Vasque boots. Beautiful area around Boulder, Utah.

desertdawg.acekvale.com

Yep, no dogs on most trails in NPs. Once Mango is a year or so we ll put her up at doggy hotels outside NPs whenever we plan on multinight backcountry hikes.

Everyone, meet Mango :-). We ll take her home in two weeks.

And a quick update on the conversion. Finished all remaining wall and cabinet panels hiding all wires and then primed the ceiling. More painting today.

post-1085-0-10771800-1473698167_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-29679800-1473698217_thumb.jpg

Perfect RV size...right now. We have noticed the smaller the dog(s), the larger the RV. Mango eventually will seriously deminish interior space, but like our dogs, not a concern in their minds, nor is there anything wrong with wet dogs.

I see Mango convincing you to go to monuments, forest service and BLM land. As Desert Dawg says, he doesn't do parks unless they are dog parks.

Did you resolve the propane/insurance issue?

7 coats of paint later (2 primer, 2 color, 3 acrylic clear).

recessed LED are in their holes.

Also built inverter box. solar will be connected to battery and inverter tomorrow.

@radin2son looking into insurance at the moment to try and ensure the build out with at least $10k.

post-1085-0-53559700-1473999429_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-80994000-1473999466_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-02029800-1473999566_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-08684700-1473999615_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-11310400-1473999668_thumb.jpg

That looks to be coming along nicely!  Congrats.

Not sure you have for insurance but we have Travelers and they have been wonderful over the years.  Needed to use them a few times and have never had an issue.  We have several riders on our home policy with them so they may be able to add additional value to your van.  

recessed LEDS are working and top of cabinet LED moodlighting is working too!

post-1085-0-61381700-1474257664_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-88394900-1474257686_thumb.jpg

cabinet doors are going in. using soft close concealed euro hinges so the hinges won't show. not too much work actually.

post-1085-0-75954400-1474437806_thumb.jpg

post-1085-0-18732200-1474437840_thumb.jpg

Great workmanship and materials. Will your cabinets have latches to keep them closed as stuff shifts when driving?

Our shelves have a felt like material covering them that helps keep things in place. We also use plastic trays to keep multiple small things in place. My wife has this down to a fine science; I just put things back where I found them, assuming I can find them.

Cream and blue (?) looks good, not the usual shades of gray or gray and cherry in our van.

thanks! cabinet doors are hard work especially when one wants everything to be aligned perfectly. 5 doors done ,5 to go.

yes doors will have magnets top and bottom to keep them shut and from rattling.

the insides will have an insert which fits kitchen items precisely like plates, glasses, etc.

yes, 4 different shades of blue/ turquoise and then bedding etc will bring other color accents.