chphilo

What have you done to your NV van lately?

I've seen this kind of thread in every forum I've been a member of, a thread to keep up with what everyone is doing to their vehicle. Post up your recent mods, no matter how small or how large your project was.

Edited by chphilo

I agree but it should appear as a topic along with classifieds. Otherwise, it will get lost.

Since the forum "Guides" don't respond, it may be better placed under each applicable topic. Time consuming...

I envision this thread to be a place to get a small peak of what's going on with everyone's ride.

I will start with my small project. I painted my tow hooks red. 

post-1459-0-69869900-1467681309_thumb.jpg

post-1459-0-48646800-1467681339_thumb.jpg

Edited by chphilo

I had some left over egg-crate accoustical foam I used to line the underside of my sidexside (Honda Pioneer 1000) hard roof to absorb some sound. I didn't have a lot, but I removed the slider door panel and packed the foam in the empty cavities of the slider. Didn't help a ton, but it did make it more solid sounding when closing.

I bought my NV passenger in January 2016. 2015 model SL. This is what I have done: upgrade all the speakers, added running boards, covered back glass and two most rearward windows with vinyl, made "true" dual exhaust, replaced air filter with a K&N filter, removed back two rows of seats for cargo, removed warning labels on visor, added a custom vanity mirror, increased wiper size: driver-22" passenger-24", and replaced lights with HID headlights and fog lights.

Hope to have it for many years.

Joey

Awesome! Do you guys have some pictures of your mods? 

Since buying it one year ago - Added tuner, tried some intakes, modded stock intake, tinted windows, added Tekonsha P3 in pocket under radio, turned off the DRL feature, added HID's.

Most recently - added a 12 foot Topper Galvanized roof rack that I modded to accept two kayaks on the outboard sides (we carry 3) and swapped out the tires to larger AT's for better traction when camping (Hankook Dynapro ATM).

Next is more lighting.  I still hate the stock headlights!  Havent quite decided what I will add yet, I need way more throw down the road.  The high beams are horrible on this van but most H13 lights are bad for highs.  

Edited by ASD Dad

Since buying it one year ago - Added tuner, tried some intakes, modded stock intake, tinted windows, added Tekonsha P3 in pocket under radio, turned off the DRL feature, added HID's.

Most recently - added a 12 foot Topper Galvanized roof rack that I modded to accept two kayaks on the outboard sides (we carry 3) and swapped out the tires to larger AT's for better traction when camping (Hankook Dynapro ATM).

Next is more lighting.  I still hate the stock headlights!  Havent quite decided what I will add yet, I need way more throw down the road.  The high beams are horrible on this van but most H13 lights are bad for highs.  

Which light did you go with HIDs? Have you considered LEDs? Did you retrofit the housing or did you just change the bulbs? Did you notice any heat issues? 

edit: I found the thread where you talk about your lights. I see that you went back to Extreme Vision. For my Tundra, I went with Crystal Vision (a little less throw but whiter than Extreme). There's a guy on a Tundra forum who went with Philips LEDs which looked promising. 

Edited by chphilo

I first replaced the stereo and speakers using a Pioneer NEX 4000 head unit and installed the Pioneer backup camera.  I put a USB socket beside the rocker switches so I can plug my phone in to use CarPlay.

I installed a partition wall, cut in a sliding window, installed floor and wall liner (still need to trim it out and tie down track.  Currently installing an onboard air compressor with 2-1/2 gallon tank.  It will come in handy to keep the travel trailer and van tires aired up and for miscellaneous needs.  Also gives me the option of adding air bags or an air horn!  Can no longer rely on gas station air and I'm tire of fooling with cheapo portable units.  Still a work in progress.

post-647-0-38886900-1468869603_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-12499300-1468868953_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-52376400-1468868980_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-50998800-1468869593_thumb.jpg

Those are some nice mods, Carmen. Nice air compressor. Where do you plan to install it? 

The tank and compressor are going between the frame rail and the body on the drivers side.  I puzzled over the compressor and had planned to fabricate a platform in front of the battery.  But when I found out the relay is mounted on the air tank there was no point in running power from the battery back to the tank and back up to the battery.  I suppose I could buy another relay but decided against it.

I'll post up some pics next week when I should have the install completed but here's one of the tank support brackets.

post-647-0-46203700-1469114908_thumb.jpg

Bob

I wanted to control my Fan-tastic fan from the dash, and while I was at it, replaced the blank, dummy switches. One will be for an eventual seat warmer, the other for unruly passengers.

post-853-0-78264400-1469531855_thumb.jpg

Which light did you go with HIDs? Have you considered LEDs? Did you retrofit the housing or did you just change the bulbs? Did you notice any heat issues? 

edit: I found the thread where you talk about your lights. I see that you went back to Extreme Vision. For my Tundra, I went with Crystal Vision (a little less throw but whiter than Extreme). There's a guy on a Tundra forum who went with Philips LEDs which looked promising. 

I keep flipping back and forth with the Philips and the Kensun HID's.  The HID's have fantastic low beam coverage, zero glare and are very bright.  They just throw terrible for highs.  The Philips are very dull in comparison but have better reach but not by much.  I've never cared about color temp, I go for max lumens which is normally around the 4300-4700K neutral range of most OEM HID's.

I looked at LED's but we have the issue with a non projector housing so possible glare issues and most have horrible high beam patterns as well.  I'd love to see some H13 HID tests but all I have found are in a projector housing which eliminates the glare issue.  

Bought our 2016 NVP 3 weeks ago.

Had a local shop install an Advanced 4x4 3" lift along with 20" XD Hosses wrapped in 305/50/20 Toyo Open Country AT2s.

I replaced the 3 rear speakers with Kicker 6x9s. I also removed the carpet to use as a template and custom fit a Universal Weather Guard Rubber Mat. I put the carpet back in under it to help deaden sound. I installed 2x 98" mega oval running boards (black) and silver vantech cargo rack H1 system.

Debating on exhaust, remote start and Billet grill.

Have yet to get a shop to install my 13.3" drop down tv. I also plan to have it wired for the new Nintendo NES system for my kids.

Edited by Warr09

Propane tank on rear door, and reinforcing brackets inside door. Ladder too. 

Hose just drapes down ladder, connect to quick disconnect behind bumper, then regulator, Propex furnace inside keeps us warm in the winter in the desert. 

gThg06ym.jpg

Very interesting addition. Looks like an excellent opportunity for an extended write-up if you find the time. I'm sure many of us are interested in the details.

westyventures.com has some good information on these Propex units and also show several build examples.

About your ladder - where did you source it and is it chrome or black anodized?

Just finished the fall polish and carnuba wax job. Other than the winter wheels going on and an oil change, she's

Ready for the winter. Wish we could skip that season:(

post-836-0-84036700-1478878261_thumb.jpeg

I'm jealous.  A) you fit in a garage.  B) you got the Special Edition anti-gravity model NV that seems popular on this site!  

Lol, I've tried everything I can think of to get the photos I post to be right-side-up, and I've simply thrown in the towel. I'll stick with the anti-gravity story!;)

Lol, I've tried everything I can think of to get the photos I post to be right-side-up, and I've simply thrown in the towel. I'll stick with the anti-gravity story! ;)

Not as cool as your anti-gravity model, but . . .

post-1459-0-62602900-1480362915_thumb.png

Edited by chphilo

I don't know what I'd do without you, chphilo, I really don't ;)

Thank you!

I bought my NV passenger in January 2016. 2015 model SL. This is what I have done: upgrade all the speakers, added running boards, covered back glass and two most rearward windows with vinyl, made "true" dual exhaust, replaced air filter with a K&N filter, removed back two rows of seats for cargo, removed warning labels on visor, added a custom vanity mirror, increased wiper size: driver-22" passenger-24", and replaced lights with HID headlights and fog lights.

Hope to have it for many years.

Joey

What HID kit did you use? 

Thanks, 

Dustin 

edit:

got it from another post. :0) 

Edited by Dustin Anderson

Propane tank on rear door, and reinforcing brackets inside door. Ladder too. 

Hose just drapes down ladder, connect to quick disconnect behind bumper, then regulator, Propex furnace inside keeps us warm in the winter in the desert. 

gThg06ym.jpg

I really like that ladder. 

What is the brand? 

Thanks, 

Dustin 

My wife did not like how NV drove in snow. I guess her AWD Sienna spoiled her. I am not planning to convert it to 4x4, so we changed out the tires. We went with GY DuraTrac 245/75/17 instead of 245/70/17. The van definitely is higher now. I am anxious to see how they do. Haven't had a winter storm since we change the tires.

post-1459-0-78749400-1481035843_thumb.jpg

post-1459-0-96440600-1481035861_thumb.jpg

post-1459-0-26028700-1481035892_thumb.jpg