starfrenzy

GPS Update

Any hope for a GPS update? The GPS on my 2015 NV is horrendous. But I still prefer to have my GPS running on the large screen on my dash than on my phone in my hand.

Any hopes for an updated card that would run something closer to Google Maps?

I think the last update was a couple years back.  My area always has construction projects going on so some parts are out of date but most is OK.  

I have a brand new Nav unit coming in two weeks (mine went out, the 2nd one...) so I can check if they updated the SD card.  I find my phone using Google Maps in a holder works much faster and better than the NV nav but it is handy to have built in Nav. 

Nissan once or twice a year sends us a $50 off offer to update our 2011/12 nav card. Nothing special about this as it is the same offer they have on line for the 2016 nav cards. The dealer will charge you the full price, $149.99.

The description for all nav card updates only mentions the addition of more places, fuel and food mostly, and road updates. We never bothered with this, but may get the 2017 update to keep up with road construction since 2011. It will not improve the unit.

Mostly we have it turned off, using it mainly to get through major cities. It has worked well no matter where we travel, but we prefer the overall view paper maps provide. If they made one improvement, we would like an initial route display to see where the nav unit is taking us.

The best choice is to ditch it, and use an aftermarket radio, unfortunately. I was in a Dodge ram recently, and their nav/stereo is so much better, the Nissan model looks like a kids toy in comparison. 

I never use it, obviously. 

Criminy, you can't even stream music to it. 

I can stream music with Spotify on my 2015 NVP nav system.  

I 100% agree the factory system is pretty horrible.  When my van was in the body shop I got to drive several different rentals and all of them had better radios and 10000% better backup cameras!