Sign in to follow this  
Commuter Van Pool Operator

So I'm not the only one who knew of the NV 3500?

I just purchased my NVP a few weeks ago and I use it for vanpooling about 40 miles each way. Prior I had a 2011 Ford E350 XTL 12 passenger. In every way I like the NVP much better, except for the MPG. I've looked around this site and see some owners have experienced the same few issues I have. The ceiling registers are delicate and unfasten too easily. The interior passenger door handle trim will not remain in place. The brakes just started to slightly squeak at a low speed brake. There is a rattling sound near the operable passenger window behind the driver's side. The warning light appears that the passenger has not buckled even though there is no passenger. The loop straps on the back seats are a trip and fall hazard for my riders. The hits out weigh the misses but I need to have the dealer address these issues.

In outfitting I've added nice steps for the driver and passengers, Ordered factory carpeted mats in the passenger area, rubber mats for the driver and shotgun. Purchased a factory wind defector and a nice dash cover. I will be adding LED strip lights this weekend on the headlight assembly and a GoPro dashcam. I would like to add an air horn to match its road presence as well.

All-in-post-1587-0-70507300-1468961837_thumb.jpgall I am happy with my purchase, especially compared to other passenger vans I have shopped. I'd be even happier to have the annoying problems addressed.    

Welcome and congrats. Nice color. I've experienced none of the issues you mentioned in your post. I would certainly take it back to the dealer and have them take a look.

Got some pictures of your mods? I would love to see what your dash cover looks like. Are you planning to take your headlight assembly apart or are you installing the led strips on the outside?

Edited by chphilo

The passenger seatbelt warning stays on in our 2012 with no passenger, but it either goes out or I just don't notice it. It may simply be the sensor does not register whether or not anyone is in the seat until the seatbelt is fastened. I remember a post where the commercial (?) owner fastened the belt and left it that way.

What mpg were you getting with your Ford? We looked at a 2011 before going with our NV.

Radin2son - I was getting about 13 MPG loaded with 12 passengers .

Chphilo - I'll post some pics I will take this weekend. The LEDs will be fastened to the exterior headlight lens.

The couple more developments as I near 4,000 miles on my van. When I am in cruise control and going downhill, it speeds up some but as I bottom out to the flat part of the highway, the speed drops 5-7 mile below what I set the cruise control at originally. Then it picks back up to my cruising speed. Also when I fill up my tank, every three days, the filing needle doesn't quite register full - but an 1/8 short. My range indicator reads 243 miles. As I drive over several miles on all flat city streets the needle creeps up to full and the mileage range gradually increases to about 352. The breaks squeak all the time now. Also there is a rubber rear light wiring harness sticking out between the back cargo door and body. I've tried many manipulations to keep it concealed but it pops out like a hernia. When my passengers close the sliding door, if they pull inward as they slide it shut, it makes and unpleasant screeching sound. I also have from time to time a warning tone go off as I pull up to a stop light. My shotgun and I are looking at the dash - all good. We look around - all clear no one near us. We can't figure out what is going on with it. With all the issues I just need to take it to the dealer on a Saturday morning.

You'll be told the cruise is normal.  I HATE the cruise control in these vans for the exact reason you state.  It cant hold speed on hills at all.  It actually feels like it is braking at times when it slows down in the dips!  

That beep at stop lights.  I get it too but it is rare.  Some people get random sonar beeps constantly.  

I dont have any other issue that is on your list.  Definitely take it to the dealer.  I had a few small issues when it was brand new and they took care of all of them.

I missed your introduction.  Sorry for the late welcome.  I'm with you and ASD Dad.  I can't stand the cruise.  I apply throttle at the bottom of the hill to keep it from slowing.  Annoying.

Welcome!

I get the occasional beep when stopping, and same same for the cruise control...lol 

great van/truck...!  I get a ton of compliments everywhere I go...

Welcome aboard!

Our family of 7 hasn't had the opportunity for an extended trip yet as we've only had the beastie for 3 weeks. My commute is 15 miles each way. The beeps from the sonar happen often but my cruise control is fine for now, no hills. Getting 11.4 mpg so far. Our 3500 NVP SL is black, your color is beautiful. Cheers!