Sign in to follow this  
Bamps

took NV to desert ghost towns

So, we loaded up a couple sandwiches into our lunch box warmer, in jumped the "fur kids" and into the desert we went. Now I must confess, I'm not dropping into places as hairy as my 4wd Nissan Frontier Pro-4X , but none the less, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance on some of these washed out dirt roads. Can't wait to lift it and get some Kooks on it. Here's a few pics. Swansea, AZ and Planet, AZ both ghost towns

post-1590-0-72370600-1472170216_thumb.jpeg

post-1590-0-22253800-1472170235_thumb.jpeg

post-1590-0-01561400-1472170255_thumb.jpeg

post-1590-0-59758400-1472170299_thumb.jpeg

Digging up your old post... did you have AT tires or did you need to air your tires out? Or did it do well enough with stock tires? It would be nice to take the van to the desert or to blm land!

Edited by irv

Our experience has been that most forest service and BLM dirt roads into an area are fine depending on the season. Washes, dry or flowing, can be a problem due to NV’s 20’. High clearance designated roads are fine, depending on ledges, rocks etc. 4x4 recommended roads may be ok but you have to consider how you are going to turn around.

There must be all sorts of info on line regarding roads. If you venture into AZ, we found Arizona Highways Magazine or blog to be a good source. There was a recent edition on AZ ghost towns with directions and road conditions. The also have monthly, short articles on primitive camping and road trips.

Our NV is stock with Michelin Defender M/S tires. We don’t mess with tire pressure.

Edited by radin2son

Thanks for sharing! I’m planning to go to Joshua Tree or Anza Borrego in SoCal with the family and deciding if I can take the NV or if I should take my small 4x4 Frontier. Frontier could maybe go to more places, but the NV would be more comfy and provides the option to rest/sleep inside with AC if necessary. I have the Michelin Defenders too so it’s good to know that’s all you’ve needed in your travels! Thanks.

We’ve been to both, but stayed on pavement and in their campgrounds. Geology Tour Rd in Joshua Tree I think is “high clearance,” but check at the ranger station or their web site.

You know it is good to go when you see rental cars. Maybe not so good for them.

I live in the desert and frequent dirt desert roads just to get to and from my property. I am very experianced as a result. I have a Frontier pro4x as well and whichever vehicle you take, the main thing Ive found with both is that you need to keep your momentum in soft stuff above airing down, above AT tires. To do that you need to turn off the traction control so that the motor doesnt cut in and out while you are trying to get momentum. I have now AT tires but I know the terrain in this post, although roads can change so fast that going in and coming back out could be two very different situations. I agree with radin2son that you should stop and talk to the ranger. TAKE PLENTY OF WATER!!! On this excursion shown, I carried a 5 gal plastic GI can full of potable water in the van. I live in an area that is very simular to Joshua Tree Park and there can be quite diffferent road conditions within just a few miles.

Just back from a trip to Pinnacles National Park, CA. (More about that later.) On our 1/2 way return, we stopped at the Mojave National Preserve, National Park office and BLM Barstow Field Office. Must stops if you are going to drive/camp in the area.

In the Mojave National Preserve, I would stay mostly on paved roads. Trip for the future...

On BLM roads, which seem to start when the pavement ends, I would definitely check in with BLM, get their free maps and talk to a ranger. In our case, we were looking for a place to camp. He looked our NV and recommended Owl Canyon campground and driving Rainbow Basin Loop, in Fossil Canyon, north of Barstow in the Mud Mountains. When we got to the campground, my wife asked did I notice the loop was “high clearance, four wheel drive?” No. Next morning we drove the one way loop. Recently graded and drive-able... wouldn’t do this in wet conditions.

Need to add, “When in doubt, walk it.”

post-376-0-34831200-1556379989_thumb.jpeg

post-376-0-58862800-1556380026_thumb.jpeg

...TAKE PLENTY OF WATER!!! 

Took your advice to heart and took lots of cold drinks and potable water (and an empty drum to fill at the ranger station). No running water on campgrounds but we had lots for drinking and camp use :)

You guys were right about dirt roads, no issues with the NV for the most part. I turned around on a dirt road that was supposedly "maintained" though because the grader/dozer tracks left terrible bumps on the dirt that caused annoying shaking.

post-3045-0-86545500-1557220608_thumb.jpg

Edited by irv

Great setup to keep things in place.

We take 30+ gallons of water. We didn’t refill it and used all but 2+ gallons plus whatever little was left in the 20 tank on a 6 day trip. Owl Canyon just had water trucked in but it wasn’t potable. None of the other camping areas had water, so we would have had to buy water in Barstow if we stayed longer. Just too hot...

Edited by radin2son