Pharomommy

Modified the garage to make it fit

I'm pretty sure Nissan did not account for garage heights when they made the NV. For our 7 ft garage opening we had to modify it so that the Big Blue Beast would fit :)

The trim on top had to come off, the door it self had to be raised up, the hurricane bars had to be flattened on the bottom half. The cement header had to have 1.5inches cut off and then after all that she fit!!!

Has anyone else had similar issues?

We aren't the 'leave the car out in the weather' people obviously

Wow that was a lot of work!  I guess when you have storms like Matthew and crazy heat all summer you dont want to leave it out.  Our new garage will be built with the NV in mind.  Our current garage is nowhere close to usable for the big van.  I dont like leaving mine baking in the SC heat or under the lovely ice storms we get.

Wow! You were serious about getting it inside. Can't say I blame you.

I wonder if you couldn't make a setup with air springs to squat the NV when parking... Definitely cheaper than changing a7' door to an 8' door

We needed 2 inches to get our NV in to the garage. With cold icy winters and two kids in wheelchairs the garage was a must! Our 2013 NV1500 was a Sherrod Conversion Van and somehow it sat about an inch shorter than the factory height specs. We removed the weather stripping and decorative header from our garage, and in it went! We replaced the weather stripping (not shown in photo) and all was right with the world!

Since then we have moved to Soith Carolina and purchased a new 2017 NVP (the Sherrod conversion built up the floors and ultimately wouldn’t allow for a wheelchair lift without ripping the entire van apart.) Our new NV is too tall for our garage and unable to fit without taking on a major project. Luckily, it’s warm here :) and we have a functioning NV with a rear WC lift.

post-1166-0-01840900-1511795794_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Emimiller

We needed 2 inches to get our NV in to the garage. With cold icy winters and two kids in wheelchairs the garage was a must! Our 2013 NV1500 was a Sherrod Conversion Van and somehow it sat about an inch shorter than the factory height specs. We removed the weather stripping and decorative header from our garage, and in it went! We replaced the weather stripping (not shown in photo) and all was right with the world!

Since then we have moved to Soith Carolina and purchased a new 2017 NVP (the Sherrod conversion built up the floors and ultimately wouldn’t allow for a wheelchair lift without ripping the entire van apart.) Our new NV is too tall for our garage and unable to fit without taking on a major project. Luckily, it’s warm here :) and we have a functioning NV with a rear WC lift.

Where in SC are you?  I am up outside of Greenville (Greer).  

When we built our new home this summer I made sure my van would fit even with the roof rack and kayak holders mounted!  First time in almost 10 years I can fit in a garage (my old Tundra and Tacoma didnt fit either).