Sign in to follow this  
Chris Dempsey

NV200 Long-term reliability

I currently own a NV2500 Hi-roof work van and am considering either a Ford Transit Connect or an NV200 to add to my “fleet”. I’m hoping for some feedback about durability and general satisfaction with the NV200. Also, why you selected the Nissan over the Ford, etc. Thanks!

Truck Trend did a long term test. If I recall correctly, they liked it.

To me it looks smaller than the Ford, Ram or MB products. It would be interesting to see if the Chevy version costs less.

Truck Trend did a long term test. If I recall correctly, they liked it.

To me it looks smaller than the Ford, Ram or MB products. It would be interesting to see if the Chevy version costs less.

Thanks, Rad. In this case, size doesn’t matter. I’m not carrying a lot. However, a big reason I bought My NV2500 was the 5yr/100K warranty. The NV200 has the same, while the Transit Connect has a 3/36.

Just Bought a 2017 after a lot of research to use at the water utility I operate.  Adding windows, shelves, light bars, etc  Going to use it for drive by radio reading and meter maintenance.  Will stare a build in the NV200 side.

post-1155-0-89185400-1489700077_thumb.jp

I manage a growing fleet of NV200s and have a bit over 20 right now.  They are replacing first generation Ford Transit Connect vans.  While warranties are important, reliability is much more important to me.  The loss of revenue due to vehicle down time is more than any warranty savings.  In that regard,  the NV200s have met all my expectations for reliability.  That's not to say that they haven't had any warranty issues, but they have been few and far between.

Here are the warranty issues:

- Leaking suspension struts on 2-3 vehicles.

- Minor coolant leaks on 2 vehicles

Here are some general issues:

- Our techs love driving them.

- Low ground clearance makes them prone to get high-centered and stuck in the snow.

- Front brake lines are very vulnerable and prone to getting damaged by broken tire chains.  This leads to brake failure.  Drivers need to stop immediately if they hear a tire chain break. 

- The cargo volume is less than a Transit.  I'd love to see an extended van with another 12-18 inches in length and 100-200 Lb additional payload rating...   NV200XL?  ?

One thing to keep in mind is the effect of the unit body construction on collision repairs.  These repairs tend to be more expensive than for body-on-frame vehicles, but this is the same with all small vans.  We even had a 1-year old van totaled due to a minor rear end accident.  The amount of work that would have been required to the roof, doors, floor, and side structure was huge, yet the van looked like it was barely damaged.