Mark Rogers

Why is it beeping at me?

I have a 2016 NV 3500 with the tech package.  I sometimes hear beeps that sound like they're coming through the car's speakers.  I'd like to know what they mean.  I know what the speed alert sounds like and I know what the sonar alert sounds like, but this isn't either of those.  Sometimes it's three beeps descending in pitch.  Other times the pitches are high, low, high (but none of them as high as the speed alert).  What are these trying to tell me?

I had that happen yesterday in stop and go traffic, but nobody was close enough to set the sensors off. And it only beeped once each time.

I don't have front sensors, and the rear sensors are turned off when driving forward.  Plus, it's a completely different sound.  So, I can rule out sonar as the culprit.

My mystery beeps always happen in threes.

I don't know, but it almost sounds like an engine light alert code. I'd call up Nissan Service in case it's something serious. You never know.

Beeps going off all around you is a little strange. I'm surprised Nissan does not have a readout somewhere to map where all the different beeps are coming from. In Human Factors Engineering, once you get more than 3 different colors, sounds, beeps, buzzes, etc... it is no longer user friendly anymore and is just confusing without a reference. Renting Japanese cars, sometimes there will be over 100 buttons on the steering wheel and dash!

Edited by breeze

Perhaps an odd Bluetooth connection issue?

Only thing that would be hooked up to factory speakers I believe?

I don't know, but it almost sounds like an engine light alert code. I'd call up Nissan Service in case it's something serious. You never know.

Beeps going off all around you is a little strange. I'm surprised Nissan does not have a readout somewhere to map where all the different beeps are coming from. In Human Factors Engineering, once you get more than 3 different colors, sounds, beeps, buzzes, etc... it is no longer user friendly anymore and is just confusing without a reference. Renting Japanese cars, sometimes there will be over 100 buttons on the steering wheel and dash!

There aren't any indicators in the instrument cluster or map display that suggest a problem, but I'll follow up on that avenue just in case.

Perhaps an odd Bluetooth connection issue?

Only thing that would be hooked up to factory speakers I believe?

That's an interesting idea.  I'm not completely certain that it's coming from the sound system, but it sounds like it is to me.  I'm not using Bluetooth very often, so I could turn it off for a while to see if it makes a difference.  The problem is that the beeps only happen once every few days, so it's hard to decide if something really fixes it or not.

Bluetooth is a very harmful microwave type, if you have a rf meter handy to verify level of output. If at all possible, I do not use: bluetooth, but I used to say that about wifi too, ha, ha.

Whenever I get any new vehicle of any type, I get an oem shop manual. They help me take better care of my vehicles, even if I don't work on them, except for small things that I can do without specialized tools or lifts. It's also good to help the mechanics speed their trouble shooting with an aware customer ($$$), and it helps to keep from getting ripped off by shady mechanics (there are a few, esp. in California.)

Bluetooth is a very harmful microwave type, if you have a rf meter handy to verify level of output. If at all possible, I do not use: bluetooth, but I used to say that about wifi too, ha, ha.

Whenever I get any new vehicle of any type, I get an oem shop manual. They help me take better care of my vehicles, even if I don't work on them, except for small things that I can do without specialized tools or lifts. It's also good to help the mechanics speed their trouble shooting with an aware customer ($$$), and it helps to keep from getting ripped off by shady mechanics (there are a few, esp. in California.)

I'm not worried about 2.5 milliwatts of microwave energy, especially since it isn't forming a standing wave.  It's many orders of magnitude below acceptable exposure limits.  Most Wi-Fi routers produce microwaves with more than 100 times that much power, and I consider those to be harmless, too.

I'd rather not spend the money on shop manuals if I can help it.  But it is an interesting idea.

Here is a link to some factory Nissan service manuals if you are interested.

http://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

Thank you!  I spent some time searching the manuals, especially the AV one, but I haven't found any answers.  I also contacted the dealership where I bought the van.  They sell more NVs than any other dealership in the nation, so I figured they would know the answer.  They're stumped, too.

There are some beep tones associated with the nav system that can be toggled o on and off in the menu.

Edited by Glidedon

Mark, 

I can't think of anything that makes a similar sequence of beeps in my van. The front sensors are usually single, random beeps.

You could turn off the bluetooth on your phone to rule out that interaction. 

I'll experiment for a while and see if I can figure something out.

I drove a couple hundred miles through the mountains on Saturday and figured out the beeps along the way.

The high-medium-low pattern means that the speed limit is being reduced and the vehicle to traveling too fast for the new speed limit.  This warning was very accurate on my trip.

The high-low-high pattern is warning about the need to reduce speed around a curve in the road.  I don't know how it determines that the vehicle is going too fast for the curve, but it's almost always wrong.  :-)

Since few, if anyone, have reported experiencing this, what activated the app for lack of a better term. Do we have the audible turned off? Or is this part of the nav upgrade?

I read your post to my wife and she said "we always go slower on curves" than posted, so maybe we never heard it. We can't wait for the audible scolding similar to the incessant "at the next... for going too fast or slow.

Reminds me of a landing in St George, Utah, which at the time was, may still be, on a mesa. Small 4 seater plane. When the pilot tried landing in strong side winds, we went side ways and there was beeping. Not enough runway, so we tried it again.

Mine definitely does not beep at me for going too fast or too slow.  Do you have any special settings turned on in Nav?  I dont have speed turned on for my Nav, it never has been from day 1.  That would drive me nuts.

I had the "speed limit warning" and "speed warning for curves" turned on.  I'm going to turn off the speed warning for curves because, as I pointed out before, it's nearly always wrong.  I think it just picks a random speed limit for every curve.

The speed limit warning is actually pretty useful for me.  I'm used to driving a much smaller car.  The NV feels to me like it's going slower than it actually is.  So, I'm going to leave this feature on for the time being.

There's a speed limit sensitivity control that's helpful.  You can choose how many MPH over the limit you have to go to trigger the warnings.

It would be great if this stuff was explained in the navigation manual.  We could also use some obvious visual cues on the dashboard to explain any sort of beeping.  Hello, Nissan.  Are you listening?

MR

My inclination is to change :-) to ;-) and wonder how NV nav and our highway system suddenly became so smart.

I'm 99% certain it's the parking sensors.

Interestingly. Nissan Connect has "speed alert." This is available in their cars. Not sure if it is available in the Frontier or new Titan.

2017 NVs may or may not have this option. Well, maybe they do with the 2017 nav card update.

Edited by radin2son