Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

There are other converted NVs out there

It is almost impossible to find campervan blogs that aren't VW. Here is one worth looking at if you are considering a camperized NV.

vanlifetravelogue.com

Thar's a real nice conversion with a lot of great space saving ideas in pics. Thanks!

IMG_7207.JPG?format=500w

The blog text also is worth reading, particularly the bio and myfi info.

We can all identify with having/pursuing a dream and finding out we really didn't want it after all. In this case, the first owner did the initial work, put 5000 miles on the odometer, mostly to the "hardware store," and decided it wasn't an ideal dream after all. The second owner had a similar dream and took over...reconversion.

If we had a hightop, we would have tried to keep a clear pass through to the rear doors. Since he appears to mostly travel solo and sleep in a sleeping bag, it would be relatively easy to make a slide out bed platform for a companion. Ah! To be young... wait a minute, we are doing this...

Edited by radin2son

Thanks for posting the link.  I had never seen this one, even though it seems I have searched high and low for NV conversions.

This one is great at illustrating how a wet bath, bed, and galley CAN fit into the 10' long cargo area, but it also illustrates how tight it is. 

It looks like the galley sink does not drain to a tank (it goes straight to ground) and possibly the shower is the same?  On one of the pics it says the toilet drains into a black tank mounted under the floor, but doesn't say capacity?

There's only one house battery, and fresh water tanks are those portable 7 gallon jugs.  Not a bad way to go, just different than permanently mounted tanks.

Doesn't look like there is A/C or heat. 

All in all, it's an impressive build, and one that I will probably steal some ideas from.

Based on his photos, it's dispersed camping so gray water on the ground may not be an issue.

I had to get under the driverside to tighten some water connections. There's not a lot of room, It may be enough if you don't have water connections and a very small, vertical gray water tank like we have. I'd bet the black water tank goes unused most of the time.

His blog has been dormant since 5/16, but twitter and other social media are current. Check these out as well.

I found a photo on his instagram or 500px (new one for me) of his NV being loaded onto a tow truck near Moab, Utah. No explanation of the problem, but he mentioned paying $1500 for 2 tows. (There are warning signs in Canyonlands about expensive tows,) Service in Salt Lake City (?) was covered by the warranty.

These are the only details provided, but aren't roadside service and towing covered under the 100k warranty? Or does it cover only the original owner or expires around 50k as it did with our 36k warranty?

I found a photo on his instagram or 500px (new one for me) of his NV being loaded onto a tow truck near Moab, Utah. No explanation of the problem, but he mentioned paying $1500 for 2 tows. (There are warning signs in Canyonlands about expensive tows,) Service in Salt Lake City (?) was covered by the warranty.

These are the only details provided, but aren't roadside service and towing covered under the 100k warranty? Or does it cover only the original owner or expires around 50k as it did with our 36k warranty?

I couldn't find this post on either Instagram or 500px (also new to me), but I think the 5 year/100k mile warranty does include roadside assistance for the entire 5 year/100k duration.  To me, this is a huge selling point and has kept the Nissan NV out in front of the competition in my search for a cargo van, despite it's limited 10 foot cargo length.

Brings up a good question about the warranty coverage.  Does the roadside assistance (which I ASSUME includes towing?) work from anywhere in the continental US, or do you have to be within a certain distance to a Nissan Commercial dealer?

Again, thanks for posting this info, it has given me confidence that it is possible to have a wet bath/galley/bed in the NV.  All three are very important to me.

Edited by Edgar

Found the photos on instagram. Trouble started outside Moab; engine shut down. Roadside service covered 2 tows ($1500) plus the cost of replacing the fuel pump at a commercial dealership in SLC. Great warranty!

That's crazy honestly, I am surprised it covered that tow. Glad to know it did.

Nissan also treated him to a night of stealth camping on the dealer's lot. After the work was completed, they told him his "house was ready."

I sent him an email telling him about this forum. No response. He is busy on instagram and to a lesser degree on twitter. People have asked him questions but that isn't the best media/medium(?) for questions and answers.

If you want to follow his almost daily diy NV projects, he only posts on instagram

Tim Lutz (@vanlifetravellogue)

I just check the blog and link on the bottom of the page.

Edited by radin2son

Check out theoysterandthepearl on instagram. You can get there via TL's latest post and comments.

There may be many more camperized NVs than I imagined, but few appear to know about this forum.

Perhaps, a separate forum? Most, however, may be too busy on other social media. That said, my "travel info sharing" thread probably belongs on instagram. Not another bookmark and password!

Nice find.

This layout looks like "Magic" with the bed across the back, storage underneath, and galley behind the driver.  No shower, not sure about toilet?

13109114_271641309851999_962578347_n.jpg

12934940_947795862007598_794339294_n.jpg

Edited by Edgar

Edgar

Check out pixspot.xyz

Bamps and Mahu have photos there and there is NV with bath that may interest you. It is under @davidbushur

Edgar

Check out pixspot.xyz

Bamps and Mahu have photos there and there is NV with bath that may interest you. It is under @davidbushur

Man, you're good at finding these on the internet!

I was able to locate the @davidbuschur pics.

https://www.instagram.com/davidbuschur/

Jon Nelson's 4x4 high top with pop top also showed up on instagram NV search. He's done a lot of work on it.

Interesting use by Buschur of a NV conversion for a mobile support truck for engine management tuning at tracks or as he puts it "wherever there are cars." No indication that he tows a trailer to events.

Never imagined there would be so many NV conversions. Well kept secret...

Thanks for the link! Lots of good ideas there, my van has to carry and sleep four so I can't do a lot of what he has going on but some ideas like the folding tables with the webbing are great ideas.