Nvdad81

Blizzak w965

Looks like our van is going to be here in a week or two and it will be right in the middle of winter. So I'm forced to get winter tires. I've had good luck with Bridgestone blizzaks but only on small vehicles. So I've been doing research on the blizzak w965 an the are made for light trucks, in fact it's the same tire they put on ambulances here in Ontario, but they are expensive.

Has anyone put these on their nv? If so, how are they?

Thanks

Nvdad81

Hello,

I picked up our new NV3500 SL in November in Chilliwack BC. We live in Kelowna BC and as you may or may not know to get there and back we have to travel the Coquihalla highway known as the "HIGHWAY THROUGH HELL" in the TV show of the same name on Discovery channel.

I told the dealership to put on the best tires available on the market for the vehicle.

The dealership put on the Blizzaks W965 for us and the highway drive with compact snow and slippery sections was no problem at all with a driver and one passenger.

HOWEVER.... regular "side road" driving in slushy conditions all of a sudden reminded me that weight is everything.  It should be noted that the vehicle is a sled no matter what tires you put on it for winter road conditions. If you don't have enough weight in the back then the vehicle was going to be slow going starting at a light with a small incline just like any other rear wheel drive truck. (we found at least 3-4 passengers was sufficient to overcome this).

All in all, the Blizzaks worked great on the highway with 1 passenger and was invincible on the side roads with a full load. It did slip around when I DID NOT have a full load of kids in the back as expected. So much though that when it was just my wife and maybe one or two kids we just parked it and instead took out the Cadillac Escalade..

Hope this sorta helps.

;-)

My brother has the W965's on his E-350. And I had a set on a Japanese Minitruck I owned back about 7 years ago (a Mitsubishi Minicab Van). They are a good snow tire, and the major plus is they are about the only snow tire with really high load ratings for keeping quite close to factory GVWR. When I needed snow tires, I decided to give up some load rating to get a more modern compound and tread pattern. I went with the Continental Extreme Winter Contact for light trucks. I just have to be sure to not pull heavy trailers, like our camper , during the winter months.

I'd say my Continentals provide slightly better snow and ice traction since the W965's are a 10+ year old design, but that's hard to compare. And like erobertson said, the NV is a very large, heavy vehicle to control in ugly conditions no matter which snow tires you chose.

I'd have no fear to try the Blizzaks if I were you, and maybe look at other, newer options if you're willing to give up some load rating. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I'm thinking the blizzaks are the way to go

Nvdad81