NV35002016

Wheels and tires that fit (no mods) on 2016 NV3500 SL

After reviewing everything on the internet I finally had to take a leap and try my own combination of wheels and tires on my new 2016 NV3500 SL.  I didn't want to have to shim the side door.  Based on some of the measurements I did, I feel I found the perfect combo for a "no-mod" install.  This is factory suspension as well.  Rims are 20x9 with 25mm offset.  This keeps the wider tire clear of the suspension components.  I went with with a 265/60 R20 Nitto TerraGrappler.  The tire sticks out about an inch further than the stock tires.  As you can see in the picture, there's just enough clearance between the sliding door interior panel and the tire sidewall when fully open.  Hopefully this helps someone out.  Good luck!

post-1962-0-28994200-1490204755_thumb.jpg

post-1962-0-96323800-1490204772_thumb.jpg

Looks great! There are not many 20" wheels with that much positive offset so thats a good find. We were able to use a +20mm offset with no clearance issues but it is VERY close. The terra grapplers are good tires. Had them on my last pickup and my current one as well. 

This is all the clearance on ours. No way are you getting a finger in there!

IMG_0794_zpsl2yb27ed.jpg

Edited by JCattSS

JCattSS, Glad yours fit.  It actually looks like you have a hair more clearance on the door than I do, which is weird.  Your wheel offset with the 275 wide tire should have it 10 mm closer to the door than mine.  I guess there is some variance.  

It does look that way but it could also be the angle. I can say the little spikey things barley glance the door. Not enough to leave a mark though. I do think the +25 is probably a better/safer fit. 

good info...thanks..getting mine asap...where did you buy the tires/wheels?  price?

caryhecker, I got the rims through customoffsets.com because they had a style I liked with the 25mm offset (slim pickings).  Got the tires at discount tire and after talking to the manager he said he could have ordered the rims with 25mm offset.  That probably would have been better doing it turnkey with one company.  You can check/compare fitment at https://tiresize.com/calculator/.  You're looking around $1,800 for rims and AT Load E tires.

After reviewing everything on the internet I finally had to take a leap and try my own combination of wheels and tires on my new 2016 NV3500 SL.  I didn't want to have to shim the side door.  Based on some of the measurements I did, I feel I found the perfect combo for a "no-mod" install.  This is factory suspension as well.  Rims are 20x9 with 25mm offset.  This keeps the wider tire clear of the suspension components.  I went with with a 265/60 R20 Nitto TerraGrappler.  The tire sticks out about an inch further than the stock tires.  As you can see in the picture, there's just enough clearance between the sliding door interior panel and the tire sidewall when fully open.  Hopefully this helps someone out.  Good luck!

Thanks so much for posting the great info. Seems like finding wheels for these isn't very cut and dry. Could you tell me the difference (roughly) in diameter between your new tires and the factory rubber? Is there any rubbing upon turning at full lock?

Edited by Small Factory

Thanks so much for posting the great info. Seems like finding wheels for these isn't very cut and dry. Could you tell me the difference (roughly) in diameter between your new tires and the factory rubber? Is there any rubbing upon turning at full lock?

No rubbing at all with this set up.  You can confirm the tire diameters by using the calculator in the link above, then turn your tires full stop in both directions to confirm gap between wheel well and suspension components.

I know the conversation in here is more about changing wheels, but no mods, no lift, stock wheels, 285/70r17 tires fit fine. No rub/shimming needed for the door. No rubbing at full lock left or right on the fronts. It's been said before on the forum but it's kind of hard to find

Nice looking wheels.  Thanks for the info.  I'm looking to upgrade my wheels.  I went to the local tire shop yesderday and the guy there mentioned how it's tricky to find wheels with the sliding door and he didn't give me much more info than that. 

This thread was tremendously helpful to me in choosing my wheels. Here is my contribution to the thread. 

Just got stock tires (245/70/17) mounted on American Bunker 17x8.5, offset 10 mm. As you could see from the picture, I still have a comfortable gap between the sliding door and the tire.

post-1459-0-21058100-1499721264_thumb.jpg

post-1459-0-39951900-1499721288_thumb.jpg

post-1459-0-75916900-1499721309_thumb.jpg

Thinking of putting on the 285 55/20 with +18 or +20 offset 20x9 wheels. Anybody have experience with this set up working OK? Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Mine are 20x9+20mm and 275/55 tires. As you can see in the earlier pic above there isn't much room. A few on here have ran 285's with +20mm but it's got to be very close. Check my gallery for other pics.

post-1919-0-25977800-1500653089_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCattSS

What type of tires are those?

Has anyone had any luck running 305 55r20 tires or 285 60r20 on a non lifted NV3500? 18+mm offset.

Look at JCattSS's gap picture and mine above. They look to be very close.

Here is a comparison:

Mine: 10 mm offset, 8 & 1/2 inch width with 245 mm tread width

JCattSS: 20 mm  offset, 9 inch width with 275 mm tread width

Since 1/2 of 1/2 inch width difference between these two wheels is 6.35 mm, the outer edge of my wheel is 3.65 mm further out than his.

Since his tread width is 30 mm wider than mine, 1/2 of this (15 mm) will affect the distance to the sliding door (gap).

If the tread width directly impacts the tire position, you would expect the gap in his set up to be 11.35 mm (15 mm - 3.65 mm) smaller, which clearly is not the case. I think what's happening is that it's the side bulge of the tire that affects the gap, not the tread width. In other words, the width of the tires is more forgiving than the offset and the width of the wheels.

In short, I think you will be fine with 18 mm offset wheels 9 inch width with 285 tread width. You will be close though. I would not go with 305. 

Edit: You may run into bit of difficulty with the diameter of 285/60/20. This size is three inches larger (33.5 in) than the stock tire. Widthwise, you should be okay. Perhaps you should go with 385/55/20. 

Edited by chphilo

Sorry if the answer to my question is either obvious or already answered. I've read the entire thread above but don't understand any of the technical stuff on there. I really know nothing about cars.

There is someone on a different thread that has these wheels: 285/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on a 20x9 wheel.

Can these can be put on an NV without a lift?

Sorry if the answer to my question is either obvious or already answered. I've read the entire thread above but don't understand any of the technical stuff on there. I really know nothing about cars.

There is someone on a different thread that has these wheels: 285/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on a 20x9 wheel.

Can these can be put on an NV without a lift?

Looking at the set-ups of Lj1983 and JCattSS, I would say  that size should be fine as long as the offset of the wheel is not too low. Aim at something around 20 mm or higher. 

Has anyone had luck putting rims off a Dodge Ram 3/4 - 1 Ton truck yet on their van?  I found a deal on some Icon Shields in 20x9, 8x6.5, 5.75 backspacing with 19mm offset.  I'd like to pick these up for the price if they'll fit.

As long as the bolt pattern is the same and the bore size is at least 121 mm, they should work.

Older Dodge heavy duty trucks used to have bore size larger than 121 mm. Current Ram trucks have the bore size slightly smaller than Nissan NV. Typically non-OEM wheels have larger bore size than the OEM ones.

Has anyone had any attempts fitting 285 60r20 tires without a lift? Trying to decide between those and 285 55r20. Wanting to put Wrangler Duratracs on and they only come in a 285 60r20 not a 285 55r20

285/60/20 is just about 3 inches larger in diameter than stock 245/70/17. I have not tried this size, but I am guessing that it won't fit. 

Another item to consider, I recently switched the stock tires on 10 mm offset wheels to DuraTrac 245/75/17 (which I was originally thinking of using only for winters). On paper, DuraTrac has smaller tread width than the stock tires. The gap between the sliding door and the tires is visibly reduced with DuraTrac. I think it has to do with the aggressiveness of the tread also.

If you do try this size, please let us know how it goes.

On my 2013 Nissan NV 2500 HD V6, I put on a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrains, size 285/70/17.  I replaced the wheels at the same time, but I kept them at 17" (same size as stock wheels).  With these tires on, I do get a little rub when opening the sliding side door, however, it's not enough to annoy me.  I can still easily get the door open... barely rubs...hardly notice it.  Roughly 3" difference in overall wheel diameter, and roughly 1.5" raise at the axle.  I definitely feel the difference with a smoother ride due to increased tire weight and tred.  I have the tires filled to only 60 psi because I want a smoother ride.  A rough ride is one of my biggest gripes with my NV. This is my personal vehicle and I wanted much more grip when going hunting/camping... not to mention the looks.  Totally changes the look of the vehicle if it's your personal ride and it matters. 

On my 2013 Nissan NV 2500 HD V6, I put on a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrains, size 285/70/17.  I replaced the wheels at the same time, but I kept them at 17" (same size as stock wheels).  With these tires on, I do get a little rub when opening the sliding side door, however, it's not enough to annoy me.  I can still easily get the door open... barely rubs...hardly notice it.  Roughly 3" difference in overall wheel diameter, and roughly 1.5" raise at the axle.  I definitely feel the difference with a smoother ride due to increased tire weight and tred.  I have the tires filled to only 60 psi because I want a smoother ride.  A rough ride is one of my biggest gripes with my NV. This is my personal vehicle and I wanted much more grip when going hunting/camping... not to mention the looks.  Totally changes the look of the vehicle if it's your personal ride and it matters.

Any pics? What are your rim specs? (Offset and width)

Mine are 20x9+20mm and 275/55 tires. As you can see in the earlier pic above there isn't much room. A few on here have ran 285's with +20mm but it's got to be very close. Check my gallery for other pics.

What make and model are those rims I really like them.