KDS

Disappointed with the Nav System

This is my first car with in-dash navigation.  I have always either used a dash mount Garmin unit, my phone or iPad for navigation.  I have always been happy with these devices except for the fact that you have to mount them somehow to make them easily viewable. 

I was excited to not have to worry about that with the NV, but after using the nav system, I am disappointed.  It did not seem to know the best routes around Tampa, especially near our toll-way that has lanes that reverse depending on time of day.  it regularly didn't know exit numbers which is extremely unhelpful.  Now I'm contemplating going back to systems I know and trust for my road trip in June.  I have no confidence this system will choose the best route to get where I want to go. 

You are not alone. Check the date on your nav card. You may not have the 2016 version. The 2017 card is on sale for $100 plus shipping if you can't convince Nissan to give you one for free. The dealer isn't likely to have any in stock newer than yours.

Regardless of the card date, you have the software update. Try it on your trip. Or use google or Apple maps until you hit a dead zone.

You are definitely not alone!  I dont like the Nav either.  I do use it but always have a backup with Google Maps.  The traffic alert with auto-rerouting comes in handy on long trips but Google will do the same thing.  The Sirius Traffic does not take into account side roads for traffic, just highways so that is bad.  It tried to re-route us once during rush hour and we got stuck on surface streets for nearly as long as the accident we were trying to avoid on the highway.  

Other issue is we have a lot of new road construction going on here and Google has trouble keeping up with new ramps and roads let alone an old nav card from Nissan.  

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to mount my iPad so I can run Google maps.  I also use the Waze app from time to time. 

One of the nav defaults allows you to choose local roads rather than interstates. We tried this once at the start of a trip north and it immediately directed us off I-10 just south of Phoenix. Fortunately you can cancel a route while driving.

The downside of the preset is interstates will be the preferred route, even if you know a better route. Eventually it will stop nagging and go with the route you chose.

Mileage to destination is often way off and you will "reach your destination" in the strangest places.

As I have said before, we rarely use nav, relying instead on paper maps and an easy to read atlas. Even if your eye sight doesn't require this, it is a quick reference minus too much data.

When I replaced the 2011 nav card with the 2017 version, none of the visual prompts appeared. It appears it uploaded.

I emailed Nissan Navigation System Help Desk, listed on the packaging to confirm. Their response was, they do not do technical support and I should contact my nearest authorized Nissan dealer for support. In addition to "Kind regards," they offered additional help. What?

I'll find out soon on our next trip if it is working and if it is any better than the old card.

Edited by radin2son

It amazes me that car companies want to charge for a product that is inferior to free apps like Waze, Apple and Google maps.  They should just allow the use of these apps through bluetooth connection from a smart phone.  I'd love to be able to run one of those apps on my touchscreen in the dash. I'd sing Nissan's praises instead of criticizing their awful system.  I know one thing is sure, I will never pay to upgrade the nav system.  Ordering an iPad mount today!

Until 3, 4 or in the near (?) future 5G is available nationwide, you will need vehicle based nav on your road trip. The problem is that some are better or more mediocre than others.

We have Garmin for cycling and my wife has the Runkeeper app that works everywhere. Even if Waze or other apps work in dead zones, the battery drain* is awful because it keeps searching for a signal.

We waited almost 5 years to update our card. So, you may never have to update yours.

*I have to stop thinking in terms of how we use our NV. Except for national parks, you will mostly be on the grid. You also have the ultimate iPad battery charger, your NV.

Edited by radin2son

On our last trip in northern AZ and southern UT, there appeared to be fewer cell dead zones so smart phone nav systems should work fine.

The 2017 nav card (2012-14 NV models) worked as well no matter where we were. On dirt roads in the San Rafael Swell, it showed side roads and nsmes for main roads.

We still relied on the topographic recreational maps for AZ and UT. We also have these naps for NM, CO and WY.

I pre-download topographic maps to my iPad so I don't need a cell signal to know where I am.  Actually as a navigational aid, it doesn't get much better than an iPad.  I have marine charts I use on my boat, topos I use while camping or without cell signal, and navigation apps like Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze.  With a little pre-planning, the iPad is a fantastic tool.

You have it covered. You have a terrific trip planned.

Mc2guy before he bailed on his NV for a F150 once suggested retirees wander aimlessly around the country while he had a trip agenda with tight time constraints. I got his latter point, but disagreed with his description of our travels. There is nothing better than an unexpected tip from another traveler.

Don't forget Here, and copilot both free.  Neither need cell service as you can download maps for offline use.  Get Here from app store and copilot free from amazon underground if you have amazon prime.

Not familiar with the Here app.  What does it do?